Red Service Ribbon Colors

Started by Майор Хаткевич, May 30, 2013, 04:41:12 AM

Майор Хаткевич

My few ribbons shipped will be $24.50...I think I'll stick to the $1 ribbons for now.

Also, this caught my eye, and looks like the Rack builder at Mccord has a color mistake on the red service ribbon.

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 30, 2013, 04:41:12 AM
My few ribbons shipped will be $24.50...I think I'll stick to the $1 ribbons for now.

Also, this caught my eye, and looks like the Rack builder at Mccord McChord has a color mistake on the red service ribbon.

What's wrong with it? Yours looks like his, and they both look like the picture in the reg.

But wait! The ribbon in my hand, and the picture on the Vanguard site look different! Are the non-white stripes between the red stripes supposed to be blue, as in your picture, or black, as in my hand and the catalog?

What a dilemma!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

UH60guy

Wow, an interesting dilemma. Can't find official color references in the regs and I'll keep looking, but I may be looking in the wrong place. We have a plethora on HOW to wear them at least. Do we have something like the Institute of Heraldry that describes the medals in an official manner similar to DoD awards? Such a listing could solve that problem. Ha, that would almost be funny if Vanguard's been doing it wrong- but if there's no official color reference from NHQ, CAP is basically at their mercy for the design of the ribbons themselves becasue our only "official" documentation of appearance is on the Vanguard site and screen captures on the advancement trackers and capmembers website.

Would love to find something like this to set it straight:
Institute of Heraldry example (ribbon for Air Medal)
The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and consists of the following stripes: 1/8 inch Ultramarine Blue 67118; 1/4 inch Golden Orange 67109; center 5/8 inch Ultramarine Blue; 1/4 inch Golden Orange; and 1/8 inch Ultramarine Blue.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

GroundHawg

We do now have an CAP Heraldry office. It is not fully up and running, but it will be. I'm sure they will have something similar in the future regarding medals/ribbons colors etc...
Creative and different squadron patches are now a thing of the past as well.

UH60guy

I found a reference in the back of CAPR 39-3, but it's just drawings. Depending on the amount of squinting I do, those stripes on the Red Service Ribbon could be navy blue or black. Doesn't effectively answer the question in my opinion.

I guess if I was so inclined, an image processing program could be used to determine it- take the eye dropper tool to determine the red/green/blue hue of the ribbon to get the official reference color per the reg- but still that's only a color on the monitor, not a thread color.

FYI it is Red 0, Green 0, Blue 128 (50%)- which would make it a shade of blue, and the Vanguard supplied ribbon is contrary to what is depicted in CAPR 39-3
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Майор Хаткевич

Even before VG the red service ribbon had red/black stripes. Ultrathin has it that way, which brought it to my attention.

NC Hokie

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 30, 2013, 11:59:29 AM
We do now have an CAP Heraldry office. It is not fully up and running, but it will be. I'm sure they will have something similar in the future regarding medals/ribbons colors etc...

Can you elaborate on your final statement?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 30, 2013, 11:59:29 AM

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse on that, nor worry about it too much.

Standards would be great - good luck getting them approved, especially if it requires existing insignia to be retired.

Same goes for tight color definitions on insignia and decs.  That's one of the reason government and military "stuff" costs so much.
There's a thousand vendors who will make "red", far few who will agree to a spec of "204,0,0" at a cost which will be reasonable,
especially if they anticipate being held to the standard and eat mistakes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

A few years ago, people started complaining about The Hock Shop, saying they "were not consistent on the colors." :-\

So NHQ destroyed them legally, for several reasons.

Among the reasons for choosing Vanguard was "Color consistency." Now what?  ::)

More complaints about "color inconsistency?"  :P

I have been wearing the Red Service Ribbon for 10 years of my 13-year CAP service, and all those Red Service I have purchased, and mounted by hand, and changed to put clasps to denote the years completed. All I looked and held, never had a stripe that looked black. Only combinations of blue, red, and white.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

I've never received a red service ribbon with blue...

MHC5096

My collection of Red Service ribbons goes back into the early 90's. They all have black stripes.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

UH60guy

There's a definite disparity depending where you look:

The suppliers appear to prefer black stripes:
UltraThin:
Vanguard:

Others prefer dark blue, including the illustration in the CAPR
Capr 39-3 (see page 35):http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf
McChord rack builder:

I agree mandating a specific thread color might drive up the price from the suppliers, but you'd think we'd still want to have in writing somewhere the "dark blue" or "black" written description instead of just a picture that is subject to the whims of the supplier.

Question- do I need to turn in my man card for nitpicking a thread color? Or am I saved if this falls into the attention to detail category?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

MHC5096

The one that really used to bother me was the Unit Citation. I've seen that manufactured in every shade from lime green to a such a dark green that it almost looked brown in color.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

SarDragon

Vangurad's been doing it wrong for years! The pic in the 2000 Bookstore Catalog has black stripes.

The 2 July 1998 version of CAPR 39-3, with the b/w graphics and patterned color representations, clearly shows blue stripes. The olde RSR, with the prop in the middle, has clearly identified stripe colors, and they go red, blue, red, blue, red, on a white background.

My antique plastic olde style ribbon, from Wolfe-Brown, has very dark blue stripes. They are definitely blue when compared to black stripes on other ribbons, in bright sunlight.

The new style cloth ribbon has black stripes. I think that one came from Vanguard, via CAP Mart.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Quote from: SarDragon on June 01, 2013, 12:19:03 AM
Vangurad's been doing it wrong for years!

Vanguard has been doing that with many uniform items. In fact, many of Vanguard's "design" errors have become "standard" due to lack of detailed prescription on CAP's regs and wide distribution from CAP's official uniform supplier. A few examples that come to mind are the Golf shirt CAP seal (stars are black), the aircrew name tags (flight suit has rank and CAP justified to each side, while the jacket one has them aligned with the name), rank embroidery (ordered two sets of Maj ranks and the patterns were different on both), the oval ES patch (the current one is much larger than the one from several years ago), just to name a few.

jimmydeanno

Didn't the previous version of the uniform manual or 39-3 have a chart in the back with the ribbons?  I could have sworn that because it was printed in B&W the ribbons had different patterns in their fields with a legend at the bottom showing what each color was.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Storm Chaser

The current version of CAPR 39-3, dated 28 Dec 2012, has color images of CAP ribbons in Attachment 3. The Red Service Ribbon's stripes appear to be navy blue, not black.

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 01, 2013, 02:48:18 AM
Didn't the previous version of the uniform manual or 39-3 have a chart in the back with the ribbons?  I could have sworn that because it was printed in B&W the ribbons had different patterns in their fields with a legend at the bottom showing what each color was.

Yes, I pointed that out two posts above yours. They are blue.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 01, 2013, 02:57:28 AM
The current version of CAPR 39-3, dated 28 Dec 2012, has color images of CAP ribbons in Attachment 3. The Red Service Ribbon's stripes appear to be navy blue, not black.

They are, indeed.

The specification is for blue. The reality is black. What are we to do?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

ACQUISITION OF PROPER RED SERVICE RIBBON:

Step 1: Buy a red and navy blue sharpie
Step 2: Buy a CAC ribbon (all white)
Step 3: Buy masking tape
Step 4: Tape ribbon so you can color in the stripes
Step 5: Color in stripes
Step 6: Wear around

These directions brought to you by Humor Industries, copyleft 2013.

Private Investigator

People questioning Vanguard? Is that not a violation of our 'Code of Awesomeness'?   ???

lordmonar

Kind of reminds me of the first NATO ribbon....back during Bosnia.  The first couple of years the ribbon sold at Clothing Sales was a little lighter blue then the medal issued by NATO.

Took them a couple of years to fix the situation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP