Water survival training

Started by desert rat, March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM

desert rat

Is anyone doing any water survival training in CAP?   For pilots flying over water it could prove helpfull.  Also it would be a fun training for cadets.  I was thinking of asking the Coast Gaurd Auxillary if they could teach us this.

DNall

we had them do it for us here. Good stuff.

SAR-EMT1

For the record...the CGAux-Air crews have to attend a spatial disorientation and Water Survival course at the CG Air Training Center in Mobile, Al. before they can do ocean flights (might be a req'd for all aircrew, Im not sure)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Fifinella

Ummm, Desert Rat, what water you got?  ??? ???
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

lordmonar

Quote from: Fifinella on March 14, 2007, 04:08:09 AM

Lake Meade is pretty big!....and we could be called in to support SOCAL.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sarmed1

As far as a cadet activity Tx wing used to have the USAF survival dudes (and dudetes) do a basic water survival as an encampment activity.  Pretty much review dithing instructions, survival gear, don LPU's into the pool then right and board the raft.
My cadet squadron iused to have a safety weekend where we woudl cover amonng other topics basic water rescue/safety.  Pretty much how to read the water, safety issues and concerns, PFD wear and throw badg use.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on March 14, 2007, 05:04:04 AM

Ok.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

TankerT

Quote from: desert rat on March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM
Is anyone doing any water survival training in CAP?   For pilots flying over water it could prove helpfull.  Also it would be a fun training for cadets.  I was thinking of asking the Coast Gaurd Auxillary if they could teach us this.

I recently did military water survival training with two other CAP officers.  It was an actual military course, and it was extremely worthwhile.

While, CAP doesn't fly over water... too far... it was good training in helping you realize while how simple most survival gear is... it's also just as simple to use it incorrectly.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

sarmed1

You know both water and wilderness survival training would be (in my honest, yet not so very frequently flying for CAP way of thinking) a wonderful thing for aircrews to at least do once, let alone some kind of 24 month type of refresher requirement (sort of like military type flyers), for example in the new draft 60-3 for PAWG they even identify the wing ranger dude (I think coordinator/asst ops director is the title) as  providing for aircrew survival training as one of the RNGR programs responsibilites.

I remember a helo crash that happened a couple of years ago  ....Paramedic and Pilot were found strapped in and obvioulsy DOA in the water.....flight RN was found 12 hours later in the bay.....without his helmet and without boots...he was an ex PJ....(cause was result of head/internal injuries) but it would appear he survived the impact and his survival training seems to have kicked in to at least get him out of the a/c ....

even with that example I would be willing to bet either program (water or ground) would not see a single or at least any noticible effort on any CAP aircrew personnel's part...great training, might even be that little edge that could keep you alive.

mk

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

flyerthom

Quote from: lordmonar on March 14, 2007, 05:04:04 AM

And the North has Lake Tahoe.
TC

desert rat

And there are hidden ponds around Southern Nevada, and then flash floods in the desert.

jason.pennington

I teach this for the Navy.  I can not offer or promise anything, but, just a thought.  If National would come up with requirements for a course, sort of saying what they want to be taught, and submit it through the Air Force, the Physiology Squadrons may be able to do it.  I know that in CA our pilots go to Beale AFB for hypoxia training. 

The Navy does this training for EMS companies.  Maybe there is an avenue through the Dept of Homeland Security that might get CAP in the door.  Again, this would have to a formal request through USAF to the Naval Survival Training Institute in Pensacola, FL -- which, incidentally, trains USAF aircrews in water survival.

Dustoff

If you are close to an Active duty, Reserve, or Guard facility; make contact with the folks in Life Support.  Work through your SD or your local CAP-USAF/CAPRAP folks to put a program together.  Think about making it a Group or Wing level activity (get more crewmwmbers that way!)

When I was on flying status we always looked forward to playing in the water!!  We usually turned it into a picnic for the squadron.

TSgt Jim Laning
CAP-USAF Det 5
w/ attachment to the KSWG
Jim

AirDX

Resuscitating an old topic... Is there anywhere a criteria for what constitutes the "classroom training"  and "pool test" for the Overwater Survival specialty qualification SQTRs?  I'd like to start training folks formally in this, but what to train?

P.S. The 15th AW does aircrew water training down at the beach routinely, I want to get together with them for it, but I want it to meet the CAP's criteria.

Thanks!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

a2capt

Quote from: lordmonar on March 14, 2007, 05:04:04 AMLake Meade is pretty big!....and we could be called in to support SOCAL.
..and getting smaller apparently ;-)

"ENERGY: Hoover Dam could stop generating electricity as soon as 2013, officials fear"
(DROPPING WATER LEVELS IMPERIL POWER FLOWING TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_b7e44e9e-087d-53b2-9c49-7ea32262c9a9.html

Capt Ford

Quote from: desert rat on March 13, 2007, 07:03:19 PM

Well if you have the time and money to hop down here to Group 3 Florida (St. Pete/ Clearwater), we have a partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard in which they lend us an instructor, their pool, and a classroom to do all the water survival training we need, given that they are not to busy.
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

Robborsari

There is a water survival class from national.  If you PM me I will send you the email of the instructor for my class.  I am sure he can tell you who is available to teach it in your area. 
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

CommGeek

National is in the process of revamping the water survival course.  It will become the national CAP standard when it is complete.   It includes both classroom and practical in the pool, as well as practical in the airframe (on the ground)

AirDX

Quote from: TFO Ford on September 13, 2010, 10:31:59 AM
Well if you have the time and money to hop down here to Group 3 Florida (St. Pete/ Clearwater), we have a partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard in which they lend us an instructor, their pool, and a classroom to do all the water survival training we need, given that they are not to busy.

Thanks, but we couldn't be much further away from you - Hawaii.

AirDX

Quote from: Robborsari on September 13, 2010, 01:37:11 PM
There is a water survival class from national.  If you PM me I will send you the email of the instructor for my class.  I am sure he can tell you who is available to teach it in your area.

Love to hear about it.  PM sent.