Aerospace: Journey of Flight changes

Started by dadunkindude, October 31, 2012, 08:51:26 PM

dadunkindude

I'm getting ready to start the preparation process for taking my Yeager exam.  8) My squadron has the first edition of Aerospace: The Journey of Flight. However, the AE website has the second edition published, which my squadron does not have.  >:(

I prefer hardcopy texts to reading from a screen, but I'd rather not print off 600 pages. While I realize the book is only $22.50 with $15 shipping :o I'd rather not plunk down $$$ if I don't have to.

In short, is the content in the 2nd Edition so drastically different from the 1st Edition that I need to acquire a copy or will the 1st Edition suffice for studying?
1st Lt, USAF
Squadron Commander, Mountain Home Composite Squadron
Mitchell Award Recipient
2010 USAFA Graduate

RogueLeader

I took the test without reading the books.  I'm pretty sure that the test hasn't changed since 2007 when I took it.

The 1st edition should be adequate for your needs.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AirDX

I took it cold and scored a 93/100.  I'm kind of an aerospace geek, YMMV.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

a2capt

The book was updated to include things like SpaceShipOne, Glass Cockpits, etc. Stuff that's happened in the last 10 years.  Use the book you have.

Otherwise, myself, I took the test cold turkey, too. Got mid-90's on it.

cap235629

I just spent a week watching the Military Channel and passed with flying colors....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

NC Hokie

Quote from: dadunkindude on October 31, 2012, 08:51:26 PM
In short, is the content in the 2nd Edition so drastically different from the 1st Edition that I need to acquire a copy or will the 1st Edition suffice for studying?

I'll echo the chorus saying that the first edition is good enough, but I imagine you could borrow a new edition from one of your cadet officers.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

SarDragon

I took it cold, and got a 90-something, in '03. I relied mostly on what I learned as a cadet in the '60s, plus some of my own experiences in the Navy and CAP after that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

dadunkindude

Thanks all for your replies, I'll proceed with using the first edition.

While borrowing a copy from one of the cadet officers is a solid option, I've only got one, and there's no way I'm going to take the copy he needs for his own development.
1st Lt, USAF
Squadron Commander, Mountain Home Composite Squadron
Mitchell Award Recipient
2010 USAFA Graduate

a2capt

No, but you could swap books for a week, or less.. if you really want to know. :)

cm42

If your preference is that important to you, then you should have to pay for it. Why ask others to make accommodations for you when they've provided the resources in an efficient manner?

Critical AOA

The first edition was published in 2000 and the second edition in 2008.

Eight additional years of aerospace history and technological advancement packed into 36 more pages (676 vs. 640 according to Amazon).   I really doubt if the additional content will be that critical or that there will be many questions on it.  You should be able to pass the exam with the first edition.

However if you squadron maintains a library of CAP resources for Cadets and Seniors, it might be worth the squadron investing in at least one copy. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

paul83814

If you want to download the pdf files for the 2nd edition, they are available in eServices under the AE Downloads and Resources item on the left hand menu.

I started by reading the downloaded version before I bought a hardcopy.  I, too, am not a great fan of reading from a screen, but before I had the actual book, I found that a good way to get started going through the material.  Plus, it only costs you some bandwidth and some disc space.

I don't have personal experience with the first version, but from what the others have said, it sounds like most of it didn't change drastically.
Paul Brand, Capt CAP
Personnel & Admin Officer, IT Officer, Asst. Comm. Officer
Coeur d Alene Composite Squadron

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

BigShu

If you want a 2nd edition hard copy, check ebay. I got one for around half price, total. I agree with the other posters that you can pass the test without it. I bought one 'cause I'm a book geek.

BFreemanMA

I just took the Yeager recently and I can't recall any aviation questions that focus on any of the "cutting edge" advances in aviation. You should be good with the first edition, as others said, because I don't believe the test has been updated with the book. Best of luck!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron