Unidentified ribbon

Started by umpirecali, October 03, 2012, 11:16:30 AM

umpirecali

Last night on the SM's was wearing three ribbons.  The lowest one in precedence I did not recognize.  I was curious and wanted to see if I could identify it, but could not.  Is there an end-all-be-all ribbon guide out there for CAP and non-cap ribbons?
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Sapper168

what did it look like?  You could try this.  http://www.cap-ny153.org/ribbonrackchecker.htm   As far as military ribbons they should be before(above) CAP ribbons in the rack.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: umpirecali on October 03, 2012, 11:16:30 AM
Last night on the SM's was wearing three ribbons.  The lowest one in precedence I did not recognize.  I was curious and wanted to see if I could identify it, but could not.  Is there an end-all-be-all ribbon guide out there for CAP and non-cap ribbons?
Was it blue white and silver? If so it was the NATO ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) AKA, NATO Afghanistan.

jeders

I'm sure that if you give us a description of it, we can narrow it down for you.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pylon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 03, 2012, 12:39:33 PM
Was it blue white and silver? If so it was the NATO ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) AKA, NATO Afghanistan.

The NATO ISAF ribbon would indeed come in at last in precedence, being a foreign award, but pretty much anybody having earned it would have more than three ribbons at absolute bare minimum (NDSM, GWOT-S, Afg. Campaign, ISAF).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

I never got the NATO ISAF Ribbon :(. It is funny though, because NATO is not suppose to be in charge of American Troops, happens all the time.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

SPD6696

Actually, I believe that it is the UN that is not to be in charge of US troops.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

umpirecali

It was black on both tips (about a 1/3 on each side) and in the middle was a reddish orange.  I checked the chart listed above last night and that's why I got confused, if I can't figure it out by next Tuesday, I'll ask him.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

Al Sayre

Sounds like the encampment ribbon is a likely suspect, especially if it was last in precedence.  Look at the cadet ribbons on the link above.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jeders

Except that the encampment ribbon is blue on the ends and has a white band between the outer blue and inner bright red.

Edit to add: After a quick browsing through Wikipedia of US military awards, including national guard and SDFs, i can't find anything that quite matches the ribbon described.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

spacecommand

Usually if I see a ribbon I don't recognize I just ask the member.

Any case sure it wasn't encampment one?

umpirecali

It was rainy last night, which might have made the blue look black.  It bet that is it.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

GroundHawg

Quote from: Pylon on October 03, 2012, 01:58:31 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 03, 2012, 12:39:33 PM

The NATO ISAF ribbon would indeed come in at last in precedence, being a foreign award, but pretty much anybody having earned it would have more than three ribbons at absolute bare minimum (NDSM, GWOT-S, Afg. Campaign, ISAF).

Not if the member had served in the military in another country or was awarded the ribbon/medal as a civilian. Not many around, but I seem to remember one of our CTers that was RCAF?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 03, 2012, 09:19:37 PM
Not if the member had served in the military in another country or was awarded the ribbon/medal as a civilian. Not many around, but I seem to remember one of our CTers that was RCAF?

I wasn't, but my first CAP squadron had one.

He was a former CF-116 (Canadair-built F-5) pilot, retired with I forget how many hours turning and burning over the skies of Alberta and Quebec:

He was a French-Canadian who'd moved to the States to fly for United.  Great guy, a million laughs.

He said National wouldn't let him wear any of his Canadian ribbons...just his wings, over the right pocket:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

umpirecali

I forgot to update you on this, but it was an encampment ribbon.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

PHall

Quote from: umpirecali on December 09, 2012, 12:04:37 PM
I forgot to update you on this, but it was an encampment ribbon.

Are there cadets in your unit?  Because they would have ID'd it in about 4.25 nanoseconds!