American to use iPads during all phases of flight

Started by Eclipse, September 17, 2012, 03:36:18 AM

Critical AOA

I don't know about androids or other smart phones but on the iPhone, Airplane Mode is the very first menu option under Settings.  Not too hard to find, even for the non tech savvy. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 03:14:53 PM
I don't know about androids or other smart phones but on the iPhone, Airplane Mode is the very first menu option under Settings.  Not too hard to find, even for the non tech savvy.

I will be laughing about this the entire day - I might literally make a t-shirt with this on the front!

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

JoeTomasone

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 02:24:44 PM
Airborne Wi-Fi systems on aircraft are designed not to allow communication with PEDs until the aircraft is above 10K.  Are the boxes turned completely off?  No.  The CPU and other boxes of the system are powered up but the wireless access points are in a standby mode until the aircraft reaches 10K.  This is done either through an independent GPS antenna and receiver or through connection to the aircraft's ARINC 429 bus.   When the aircraft reaches 10K, a discrete is set, the wireless access points switch on and the system is ready to go because, yes, the system was in fact powered up the entire time.

On every aircraft that I have tested with GoGo Wifi, the access points have been powered up continuously.  If you connect to them prior to reaching 10,000 feet, the splash page says that the system is not available until then. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 13, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

Yep, my Android is pretty easy. Hold down the power button.  A list of options appears. 

Power Off
Restart
Silent Mode
Airplane Mode
Connect to Internet

Even if you can't read, the airplane icon is a dead giveaway.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill