Uniform board 2012

Started by jhsmith400, August 28, 2012, 06:25:05 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: badger bob on August 29, 2012, 02:23:43 AMBe careful what you wish for. Because ABU is still a currently issued uniform there would be no "free surplus" uniforms for CAP. That would mean all 62,000 members would need to PURCHASE new uniforms and toss the uniforms they may have already purchased. Vanguard and AFES do not give trade-in credit.

Not even by 1/2, and not for (likely) at least 2 years after the authorization (if not longer).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: badger bob on August 29, 2012, 02:23:43 AMBe careful what you wish for. Because ABU is still a currently issued uniform there would be no "free surplus" uniforms for CAP. That would mean all 62,000 members would need to PURCHASE new uniforms and toss the uniforms they may have already purchased. Vanguard and AFES do not give trade-in credit.

There are ABU's at DRMO already. Remember, the Air Force has been wearing the uniform for over three years now.

Eeyore

It's getting to the point where you are more likely to find surplus ABU/ACU/whatever else, than you are BDUs.

manfredvonrichthofen

This is very true. I had a really hard time finding a good set of BDUs in the local surplus store here just south of Texarkana. Something does need to Halle soon, even if it takes a whole five year phase in to require everyone to change over. VG pricing for a set of BDUs is rediculous, you may as well slender a couple bucks extra for a set of ABUs.

Pylon

Surplus at our local ANG unit is all ABUs being turned in.  No statistically-significant numbers of BDUs for years.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 29, 2012, 04:58:49 PM
This is very true. I had a really hard time finding a good set of BDUs in the local surplus store here just south of Texarkana. Something does need to Halle soon, even if it takes a whole five year phase in to require everyone to change over. VG pricing for a set of BDUs is rediculous, you may as well slender a couple bucks extra for a set of ABUs.

VG pricing for BDU's is about the same as every other vendor online.

~ $ 64 for winter weight

~$ 44 for summer weight

Depending on what material you buy, they are about 10% more then bdu.com (though bdu.com has more options, both less and more expensive).

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes, an I found some really nice looking ABUs at the local surplus for 70 when I asked about BDUs they said we have plenty of ABUs, but only three new pairs of BDUs, and nothing in long regular... Luckily for some reason they had a pair marked as medium short that Were quite a bit longer than medium regular, for... Wait for it... 60 total. But I won't be able to buy another pair from them, as they have informed me they want be buying any more as there is no demand for them anymore.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 29, 2012, 06:46:03 PM
Yes, an I found some really nice looking ABUs at the local surplus for 70 when I asked about BDUs they said we have plenty of ABUs, but only three new pairs of BDUs, and nothing in long regular... Luckily for some reason they had a pair marked as medium short that Were quite a bit longer than medium regular, for... Wait for it... 60 total. But I won't be able to buy another pair from them, as they have informed me they want be buying any more as there is no demand for them anymore.

What the hunting/redneck/urban crowd moved on as well?

Garibaldi

I have seen BDUs at pawn shops frequented by hunters.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 30, 2012, 01:47:19 AM

Probably pawning for money to get the digitals.

Hawk200

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 30, 2012, 01:57:39 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 30, 2012, 01:47:19 AM

Probably pawning for money to get the digitals.

:) :clap:

manfredvonrichthofen

Use some thought about the hunters... There is now mossy oak and realtree. They come in a wide variety of weights and designs, why would they use BDUs?

cap235629

Looks like the BDU is here to stay!!!!  >:D
WOODLAND CAMO TO RETURN
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Garibaldi

Quote from: cap235629 on August 30, 2012, 03:48:52 AM
Looks like the BDU is here to stay!!!!  >:D
WOODLAND CAMO TO RETURN

Ummm...I love how they say that they won't issue the new uniform to those who HAD BDUs...AFAIK most of those uniforms were sold, given away or trashed by soldiers and airmen after the new uniforms came out. >:D

Brad

I call BS, and here's why: I've seen that photo before. Where? Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BDUs-forest.jpg It's tied to the article about the M81 Camouflage here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M81_Woodland  (even CAP gets a mention...of course bringing up the ABU horse again)

But back to the photo...look at the caption:
QuoteSgt. Zachary Sarver (center) and Spc. Gary Vandenbos (left) negotiate with a role-playing inebriated woodsman whose land their patrol passed through during a field training portion of Exercise Peaceshield 2000 in Yavoriv, Ukraine, on July 16, 2000. Approximately 1000 soldiers from 22 countries are taking part in the peacekeeping training exercise at the Partnership for Peace Training Center at Yavoriv. Sarver and Vandenbos are attached to Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 130th Infantry, Illinois Army National Guard. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Chris Steffen, U.S. Air Force. (Released)

Bolding mine. Photo was then uploaded 5-3-2006. The source DoD link is so old it doesn't even work anymore!!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

Quote from: Brad on August 30, 2012, 04:17:02 AM
I call BS, and here's why: I've seen that photo before. Where? Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BDUs-forest.jpg It's tied to the article about the M81 Camouflage here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M81_Woodland  (even CAP gets a mention...of course bringing up the ABU horse again)

But back to the photo...look at the caption:
QuoteSgt. Zachary Sarver (center) and Spc. Gary Vandenbos (left) negotiate with a role-playing inebriated woodsman whose land their patrol passed through during a field training portion of Exercise Peaceshield 2000 in Yavoriv, Ukraine, on July 16, 2000. Approximately 1000 soldiers from 22 countries are taking part in the peacekeeping training exercise at the Partnership for Peace Training Center at Yavoriv. Sarver and Vandenbos are attached to Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 130th Infantry, Illinois Army National Guard. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Chris Steffen, U.S. Air Force. (Released)

Bolding mine. Photo was then uploaded 5-3-2006. The source DoD link is so old it doesn't even work anymore!!

Does the fact that the author of this piece is "Dirk Diggler" give you a small clue? ::)

Brad

Yea yea, I'm in the middle of setting up a virtual LAN, so only half-read the article. Re-read it, I get it. :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

manfredvonrichthofen

Half of wiki items might as well be written by Topsy Krets... 

SPD6696

Duffleblog is a satire website, like the Onion network...
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Garibaldi

Quote from: SPD6696 on August 30, 2012, 07:49:26 PM
Duffleblog is a satire website, like the Onion network...

You know, I was wondering that myself, if they were getting their source material from the Onion or something similar.