critical incident stress management qualifications

Started by starshippe, August 11, 2012, 04:03:49 PM

starshippe

i see checklists for evaluating this position in some air force documentation, and i see it on the list of 101 card qualifications, but i do not see sqtrs for it.
   does anyone have any info on this qualification?

thanks,

bill

John Bryan

♠SARKID♠

Step 1)  Attend mind numbing course.
Step 2)  Attend another mind numbing course.
Step 3)  Wish you hadn't driven across the state to attend mind numbing courses.
Step 4)  ? ? ?
Step 5)  Profit.

At least that was my experience.  I made it through day one of the first course before checking out.  I couldn't stand the useless role play, the unused course materials, or the 15 people from some Lutheran organization that were there purely to create religiously predatory CISM teams. 

starshippe

thanks for the info!

update: thanks for the reality check. we will have a close look at the training.

as an ic, i have personally seen the need for someone familiar with a proper, thorough response to, say, a van full of cadets involved in an accident on the way to a sarex.

bill

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: starshippe on August 11, 2012, 06:02:34 PM
   thanks for the info!

update: thanks for the reality check. we will have a close look at the training.

as an ic, i have personally seen the need for someone familiar with a proper, thorough response to, say, a van full of cadets involved in an accident on the way to a sarex.

bill

My recommendation to you, an IC, is this: If you create a CISM team within CAP, cool.  If you decide to go the route of calling in outside CISM teams to your operations, do something first.  I would meet with the teams before hand (not during a mission/training mission) and just have a sit down with them.  Make sure that they're intentions are good.  The folks that were at the class I took were training for the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team.  If the people you meet are from there, run.  Not the folks you want on your mission.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't allow CISM teams from a religious organization, but what they wanted to do could be damaging to the people that need CISM's help.  They're a national organization and the CISM world is pretty small so I wouldn't be surprised if they're prominent across the US.

arajca

If you call in an outside team, find one that law enforcement, fire, and EMS use. Their skill set and knowledge is more appropriate to use as response personnel. A major point - if a CISM session devolves into gallows humor, they understand why and generally are not shocked by it. BTDT.