Main Menu

To return or no?

Started by winterg, July 25, 2012, 05:23:04 AM

winterg

It has been a long time everyone! I dropped out of CAP a few years ago to attend university full time. And like most college students I had to work multiple jobs simultaneously which left little time or money for extracurricular activities. I am happy to say that my college endeavor was a success and I will hopefully be teaching high school starting this fall in Florida.

I have been considering returning to CAP lately since I miss teaching the cadets and ES. But I have been perusing CapTalk and I see that not a darn thing has changed. At least it appears that way. 39-1 hasn't been updated. People don't know how to use the regs before asking questions. And ABU's! LoL  Whoever posted the cartoon video of the cadet trying to buy ABU's at the clothing sales I nearly died laughing!

So my question is, do you think it is worth it to return? CAP has been a fairly important part of my life for many years, but will I just be beating my head against the keyboard.

P.S.  I knew I should have kept paying my membership. But my college budget was pretty tight. Oh well. Guess Ill have some make up to do.

Garibaldi

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2012, 05:23:04 AM

P.S.  I knew I should have kept paying my membership. But my college budget was pretty tight. Oh well. Guess Ill have some make up to do.

Sounds like what I went through. College got in the way and I was out for 6 years. Luckily for me, all the drama went away after I left. It kind of depends on your unit. Mine was in need of my skills and services when I came back, fortunately, and the members who were the cause of my departure left to find greener septic tanks to fall into. Now I have an ES department to rebuild and a ground team academy to dust off and return to service. I'm happy. Sometimes time heals most wounds.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

If you think you can make a positive contribution, and enjoy being a member, go for it. You shouldn't let the CT drama have much bearing on your decision. Both times when I came back, I joined totally different units, and integrated well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

winterg

That will be the issue for me. All my SM time was in Wisconsin but now I live in Florida. So I will be coming back in a whole new area.

SarDragon

Where in FL? There are folks on here from all over the state, so they might be able to recommend a unit. It's certainly a bigger wing than WI.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

winterg

I've noticed that! I'm used to a CAP sq. servicing multiple surrounding counties. I think there ate three squadrons in the county I live in here.

I'm in Pinellas County in Tampa Bay. Looks like Clearwater Composite Sq. Is closest.

Private Investigator

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2012, 05:23:04 AMSo my question is, do you think it is worth it to return? CAP has been a fairly important part of my life for many years, but will I just be beating my head against the keyboard.

It is really up to you. 100 reasons to leave and 100 reasons to come back. Going to another Squadron, Group or Wing adds another dynamic. New people and transfers from other Wings always reinventing the wheel. Have fun   8)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2012, 06:59:14 AM
I've noticed that! I'm used to a CAP sq. servicing multiple surrounding counties. I think there ate three squadrons in the county I live in here.

I'm in Pinellas County in Tampa Bay. Looks like Clearwater Composite Sq. Is closest.
I think I might know someone from that squadron...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

EMT-83

Quote from: winterg on July 25, 2012, 05:23:04 AM... But I have been perusing CapTalk and I see that not a darn thing has changed ...

Any similarity between real life and the drama that occurs daily on CAP Talk is coincidental.

HGjunkie

There's a bunch of squadron in Tampa:
Clearwater Composite
Macdill 089th squadron
St Petersburg Cadet
Wesley Chapel Cadet
(The list goes on and on)

I know people from all of them (I'm at St. Pete), Clearwater is really focused on ES, St Pete on Cadet Programs, not too sure about the others.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Stonewall

But I have been perusing CapTalk and I see that not a darn thing has changed. At least it appears that way. 39-1 hasn't been updated.

I'm not sure when you bailed for college, but one thing that has changed and keeps changing, is the amount of online crap you have to stay curren in.

Be prepared to have to sign in on a regular basis.
Serving since 1987.

winterg

Quote from: Stonewall on July 25, 2012, 04:41:12 PM
I'm not sure when you bailed for college, but one thing that has changed and keeps changing, is the amount of online crap you have to stay curren in.
Be prepared to have to sign in on a regular basis.

That does not surprise me at all.

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 25, 2012, 03:07:07 PM
There's a bunch of squadron in Tampa:
Clearwater Composite
Macdill 089th squadron
St Petersburg Cadet
Wesley Chapel Cadet
(The list goes on and on)

I know people from all of them (I'm at St. Pete), Clearwater is really focused on ES, St Pete on Cadet Programs, not too sure about the others.

Thanks for the heads up.

lordmonar

A.  CAPTALK is NOT CAP.  It is made of CAP members and ex-members and trolls, wanabes, and other various sundries.  But it is not your unit or your wing. 

B.  You affect (or is the effect?) the change you want.  That is 39-1, CAP politics, reorginsation and all the other BS we talk about here.....has about only 10% bearing on what happens at your (and my CAP unit).   

C.  Join....we always need people to join....contribute what you can, get out of CAP what you can.....if you are not having fun......then move on to other pursuits.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RADIOMAN015

It has been a long time everyone! I dropped out of CAP a few years ago to attend university full time. And like most college students I had to work multiple jobs simultaneously which left little time or money for extracurricular activities. I am happy to say that my college endeavor was a success and I will hopefully be teaching high school starting this fall in Florida.

IMHO Frankly, you need to be working on your REAL CAREER first :angel:.  Once you are settled in a teaching job for a year or two, than you should consider CAP.   Remember also you are going to be teaching teenagers all day long.  Do you real want to teach & discipline teenagers at a CAP evening meeting ??? ::)  (you may want to do something completely different or just be with adults with no teenagers in sight).
RM

winterg

Thank you for the advice Radioman.  But I think I have the experience and maturity to be able to prioritize my obligations so that CAP does not interfere with my duties.  ;)  CAP has the flexibility to allow a member to participate in a wide range of ways based on their occupation.  i do not foresee a problem.

AirDX

Quote from: lordmonar on July 25, 2012, 06:35:19 PM
A.  CAPTALK is NOT CAP.

And thank God for that.  I never see or hear about 99.8% of the things that raise all manner of consternation here on CAP talk. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Private Investigator

Quote from: AirDX on July 26, 2012, 07:24:44 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 25, 2012, 06:35:19 PM
A.  CAPTALK is NOT CAP.

And thank God for that.  I never see or hear about 99.8% of the things that raise all manner of consternation here on CAP talk.

That brings to mind the topic of "flying clubs". Units that really are "flying clubs", you know they get 250+ hours annually but somehow get ZERO A1 hours. How does that even happen? Usually another indication is the Squadron Commander and Aircraft Manager spouses or significant others are CAP members but have x number years and have only completed Level I.

Nathan

39-1 hasn't been updated.

Anyone else remember the pre-2005 wait for an update to 39-1? I'm still pretty pleased that we even accomplished that. Don't push it.  :D
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.