Question on buying a new 24 hour pack

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 11, 2012, 05:01:51 PM

AlaskaRocks

Up until now, I've been using a cargo-style hunting vest (blaze orange) as my 24 hour pack and an A.L.I.C.E. Pack for my 72 hour pack.  This has been great because the hunting vest keeps the load of my 24 Hour pack off my back.  I have mild (10 degree) scoliosis that doesn't inhibit normal movement, but it does get painful after long periods of standing, and having a load on my back expedites this pain.  The ALICE frame seems to help a bit over a standard pack.

Just, before anyone tells me that if I have back pain, I might need to consider steering clear of ground team excersises, I'd like to make it clear that I've already made it through several excersises and I believe that it won't be a major problem.  No hostility intended.

The problem is that my vest is bulky.  All of the pockets (ALL) are located in one part of the vest, layered.  There's a pocket, then a pocket behind that, and a pocket behind that.  This is great because it gives me lots of storage room, but it also makes the vest swell up at one spot, and this considerably restricts my motion.

I've been looking around for a vest that is more like this: http://www.worldprep.com/bush_pilot_survival_vest.html

But I don't want to buy all the gear that comes inside of it again, because I already have all the gear for a full 24 hour pack.  I just want a new vest.  I'm also looking for a smaller backpack to store things that I can't fit in the pockets of the vest (rope, food, jacket if needed) that I can stow in, on top of, or underneath my 72 hour pack when I'm wearing the ALICE Pack.

I understand that I'll need to experiment with different types of gear, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on a type of vest and/or backpack, a store to visit, or another route I could take.  I've already checked Fleet Farm (regional store, some people from other parts of the country may not know about it) Gander Mountain and Wal-Mart for the vest, and I've also looked around Wal-Mart for the backpack.

I'd like the backpack to be less than $50, and I'd also like the vest to be less than $75.

Ed Bos

I just got a (slightly) customized vest from www.thevestguy.com that I'll be field testing this summer at NESA.

The folks there were excellent to work with, and I'm sure you can find something there that they can tailor to meet your needs.

(Though they may run over your budget)
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

SaBeR33

If you were able to afford a more expensive item I'd suggest you look at the vest/backpack combo discussed in this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10134.0

AngelWings

Is non camouflage gear a preference or requirement for you?

Garibaldi

Personally, I prefer high-visibility packs. Orange vests are basically useless out in the field because of all the stuff we carry. Even though I have a black tactical pack, I have gone the ghillie suite route and have taken bright orange tubular webbing and tied it in various places so that Bubba hunter doesn't mistake me for a deer.

As far as ground team equipment goes, I prefer uniformity in color and type. I shy away from MOLLE/ACU gear simply because it doesn't go with BDUs. I just realized today that I have a black pistol belt, black canteens and covers, a woodland butt pack and OD green Y suspenders. None are hooked up yet but I get a bargain where I get a bargain.

Not a big fan of vests myself, but I am willing to try that SAR vest that CAP members developed just to see if it works for me.

Remember...HIGH VISIBILITY.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 12, 2012, 05:34:30 AM
Personally, I prefer high-visibility packs. Orange vests are basically useless out in the field because of all the stuff we carry. Even though I have a black tactical pack, I have gone the ghillie suite route and have taken bright orange tubular webbing and tied it in various places so that Bubba hunter doesn't mistake me for a deer.

As far as ground team equipment goes, I prefer uniformity in color and type. I shy away from MOLLE/ACU gear simply because it doesn't go with BDUs. I just realized today that I have a black pistol belt, black canteens and covers, a woodland butt pack and OD green Y suspenders. None are hooked up yet but I get a bargain where I get a bargain.

Not a big fan of vests myself, but I am willing to try that SAR vest that CAP members developed just to see if it works for me.

Remember...HIGH VISIBILITY.
I have an all woodland camouflage MOLLE set up. I have a, now discontinued, Tactical Tailor woodland MAV (Modular Assault Vest, basically a molle vest that comes with all of the pouches and a leg pouch meant for storing spent ammo, but can be converted to hold some neat things). I also have a MOLLE 2 woodland assault pack which I put a camelback in along with most of my 72 with a MOLLE 2 waist pouch attached to it. I put a reflective belt on my pack and on my vest I slap on reflective strips. I've considered buying a reflective vest and modifiying it to fit around the pouches. The stuff doesn't fit in goes in a green duffel bag and is left a mission base.

Eclipse

Quote from: AngelWings on July 12, 2012, 06:09:07 AMI put a reflective belt on my pack and on my vest I slap on reflective strips. I've considered buying a reflective vest and modifiying it to fit around the pouches. The stuff doesn't fit in goes in a green duffel bag and is left a mission base.

A vest is required and must be the outermost thing worn.

See 62-2.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 06:15:39 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on July 12, 2012, 06:09:07 AMI put a reflective belt on my pack and on my vest I slap on reflective strips. I've considered buying a reflective vest and modifiying it to fit around the pouches. The stuff doesn't fit in goes in a green duffel bag and is left a mission base.

A vest is required and must be the outermost thing worn.

See 62-2.

I think you mean 62-1.  62-2 is mishap reporting.  Here is the applicable section of 62-1:

b. Safety vests are approved for wear over the outermost garment of AF-style uniform or corporate uniform and may or may not be ANSI compliant as defined in paragraph 7d below.

Note it says over the outermost garment.  To me that implies your clothes, not your gear.  Now, I do agree that putting the gear over the vest tends to reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of the vest.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AlaskaRocks

Thanks for all the input.

Just to answer a few questions:

I don't mind (actually I would prefer) for the vest to be blaze orange.  Reflective strips are a luxury that would be nice to have, but I have some reflective duct tape that I can apply where needed.  As mentioned before, this saves me the hassle of having to deal with a safety vest over the cargo vest.

However, I would rather the pack not be high-visibility.  Camouflage is not a big deal, olive drab, woodland camo, hunter green, black.  Doesn't really matter.  I'd rather not have digital camo but I'm not going to be really all that choosy with the print or color as long as it looks "military".

What's been listed here has been some great ideas, but not entirely what I'm looking for.  I appreciate the help, though, and please keep the suggestions up!