Main Menu

So... Yeah

Started by Extremepredjudice, June 12, 2012, 01:55:46 AM

Extremepredjudice

I'm not going into specifics, but if a cadet was talking about sex acts, (perverse ones, I might add) telling people they want to have sex with the cadet, (Even though the person's sexual perference doesn't "roll" that way) and saying stuff like "Rape ya later."

Is there anything that specifically forbids this? Specifically, not "conduct unbecoming" or some such fascimile
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 12, 2012, 01:55:46 AM
I'm not going into specifics, but if a cadet was talking about sex acts, (perverse ones, I might add) telling people they want to have sex with the cadet, (Even though the person's sexual perference doesn't "roll" that way) and saying stuff like "Rape ya later."
Lolwut? I do not get what you are trying to say in this situation. Was another cadet meaningfully hitting on another? Or were they just being kids? Call 'em out on it, it sounds like stupidity.

I think 123-2 covers the issue partially.

Spaceman3750

This is sexual harassment and has the potential for serious problems. You should report it to the CC and get away pronto.

AngelWings

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 12, 2012, 02:13:12 AM
This is sexual harassment and has the potential for serious problems. You should report it to the CC and get away pronto.
It sounds more like stupidity with cadets making sexual jokes at eachother to get a cheap laugh. If it is seriously meant, I will be surprised and I am sure the cadet needs help because "I'll rape you later" is a very weird and twisted thing to say to someone seriously.

jeders

Quote from: AngelWings on June 12, 2012, 02:18:34 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 12, 2012, 02:13:12 AM
It sounds more like stupidity with cadets making sexual jokes at eachother to get a cheap laugh. If it is seriously meant, I will be surprised and I am sure the cadet needs help because "I'll rape you later" is a very weird and twisted thing to say to someone seriously.

Whether it's serious or joking, it is still harassment. This should be reported to the CC immediately.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bflynn

Inform the cadet what they're doing - it is harassment - and make sure they know they must stop.  Also inform the squadron commander.

This is not just a CAP thing.  It is a everywhere thing.

lordmonar

Quote from: bflynn on June 12, 2012, 02:25:11 AM
Inform the cadet what they're doing - it is harassment - and make sure they know they must stop.  Also inform the squadron commander.

This is not just a CAP thing.  It is a everywhere thing.
+1

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

I am not one to over react to stupid things that Cadets ( and Seniors) may occasionally say, but what you have described, at minimum, describes a person who has sexually violent thoughts about another member of your Squadron. It could be innocent teenage teasing, but it could also be one one of the most dangerous types of individuals around, with a personality disorder that may allow them to do things that no normal person should ever have to think about. If this is more than just a hypothetical, and assuming you have not "juiced up" the story or withheld important context, I think you are obligated to take it up the chain of command. People end up dead in situations like these all the time, while
other people stand around and worry about political correctness, office politics, potential loss of friendships, or just plain embarrassment. You need to kick this to the next level. " Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Extremepredjudice

The squadron commander knows.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 12, 2012, 02:47:15 AM

And isn't doing anything? Time to take it to the Group CC.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 12, 2012, 02:47:46 AM

If the unit CC is aware and doing nothing, then call the wing CC immediately.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on June 12, 2012, 02:57:57 AM

Isn't that jumping the CoC?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 12, 2012, 03:45:03 AM

Yes and no.

You've already indicated that the Unit CC is aware and not taking action, and in most cases of hazing and abuse reporting, the
person to whom it is reported is supposed to go VFR-Direct to the Wing CC anyway, so there you go.

With that said, has it struck you at all that your unit has a higher-than-average "Drama Quotient"?

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

It might not be the sqdn that has the drama problem.  Just saying.....

And it is only Mon.  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15535.msg280510#new

caphornbuckle

Where to start....

First of all, is what the cadet saying considered offensive to those who are receiving it?

Is it offensive to those who hear this?

Has the individual been told to cut it out because it is offensive to someone?

If you cannot answer "yes" to any of these questions, in all "legal" means, it isn't considered harassment.

It may be more taboo than wrong if it is acceptable by all parties involved.  IMO
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

abdsp51

Without knowing the dynamic and all the details and this seems to be just touching the surface REPORT IT.  Unit drama, teens being teens whatever you want to label it, bottom line these sort of comments and sort of behavior is unacceptable.  This is the sort of thing that leads to school violence and in the adult realm workplace violence.  Left unchecked this is bad news for anyone and everyone involved if the Sq CC is not doing anything then it's time to hit the Wing and Group CC depending on your breakdown at the same time.  And there is always the IG office as well if there is no luck through the other channels.  This behavior should be sending up major red flags and should dealt with swiftly.  There is no place in our organization for this behavior period...

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 12, 2012, 03:45:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 12, 2012, 02:57:57 AM

Only if there is a group commander.

And in keeping with my beleif that we keep things in house......report it....follow up as necessary....no more posting on CT is requried.

Extremepredjudice

There is, (a group commander) but IGs are outside of the CoC..... And isn't this an IG thing?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 12, 2012, 05:51:22 AM
There is, but IGs are outside of the CoC..... Soo, isn't this an IG thing?
Only if the chain of command has failed.

bflynn

Slow down everyone!  You're jumping faster than someone can actually do anything.... :)

The commander now knows, give him a few days to do something about it.  It isn't an group/wing/region/IG thing until the squadron commander has had reasonable time to correct the situation.