Main Menu

Moral dilemma

Started by Cjthom1728, June 04, 2012, 08:04:40 PM

Cjthom1728

I have recruited two people for CAP and it was just brought to my attention that I could receive a ribbon. Should I wait to be recognized for my achievement or would it be of poor character to notify my CO of what I've done?   
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

EMT-83

No dilemma. You should put in for the award if you're eligible. Chances are no one else is keeping track.

This isn't a situation where your actions are subject to evaluation. You did "X", there regulations state you should get "Y". Just like a promotion or achievement award.

Eclipse

Ditto, just mention it to your CC.

You can also check eServices and see if you already received the credit.

Not a big deal.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

There is NO MORAL DILEMMA for asking for recognistion (i.e. asking for an award or promotion) that you feel you have earned!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

No dilema and will look good to take the initiative.

Abby.L

Quote from: Cjthom1728 on June 04, 2012, 08:04:40 PM
I have recruited two people for CAP and it was just brought to my attention that I could receive a ribbon. Should I wait to be recognized for my achievement or would it be of poor character to notify my CO of what I've done?   

Would you wait for your red service ribbon 3 years after you joined? No. You take a 2A to your commander and he can sign off on it. Same thing with the recruiter ribbon.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

MSgt Van

If your name is on tbeir application as a referral i'd think it would show up in e-services. I thought mine did.

titanII

Quote from: Levilockling on June 04, 2012, 10:12:51 PM
You take a 2A to your commander and he can sign off on it
That's exactly what I did to procure my Recruiter ribbon. Filled out the CAPF-2A with the names of the people I had recruited in the "Comments" section, and gave it to my commander. Easy as pie.
No longer active on CAP talk

EMT-83

Quote from: MSgt Van on June 05, 2012, 12:10:38 AM
If your name is on tbeir application as a referral i'd think it would show up in e-services. I thought mine did.

This is not tracked at NHQ. Unless someone else at the squadron is paying attention, it's up to the individual member.

lordmonar

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 05, 2012, 01:46:02 AM
Quote from: MSgt Van on June 05, 2012, 12:10:38 AM

This is not tracked at NHQ. Unless someone else at the squadron is paying attention, it's up to the individual member.
No...actually if the CAP ID number of the person recruiting is put on the membership application.....and NHQ enters it into the system...your commander can pull up a recruiting report that shows who recruited who.....It does not STORE the information for very long though (I don't know for how long it is stored)....so your personnel officer should be pulling the report periodicly and updating the records.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

EMT-83

Exactly. If you're counting on the information being available in eServices or trusting that someone is actually pulling reports and connecting the dots, you just might be out of luck.

Eclipse

The other thing is that I've known CC's who will backfill their own CAP ID into the recruiting field if its empty, even if they had nothing to
do with recruiting the member.  It may be "allowed" but I don't think it's cricket.

In that case, if the member has already been credited elsewhere, the boat has sailed.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

+1 to all, but I have one point to add for clarification.  Not only is it acceptable for you to put in for this award, the regulation (39-3) states that you are responsible for submitting the CAPF 2A in order to receive it. 

Flying Pig

Let someone know.  Its not an issue.  I had a few cadets embarrassed or uncomfortable about asking the same thing.  Problem is....I had no idea they rated the ribbon!

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2012, 02:26:24 AM
The other thing is that I've known CC's who will backfill their own CAP ID into the recruiting field if its empty, even if they had nothing to
do with recruiting the member.  It may be "allowed" but I don't think it's cricket.

In that case, if the member has already been credited elsewhere, the boat has sailed.

I try to make sure that the recruiting block is listed on every application.  It's the person that most influenced this person to join.  This could be the person that greeted the person at the door and just showed them around as well as explain the mission.  Sometimes it can be my PAO who fields contacts from the public and gets the member to come out. If it is the Squadron Commander who explained the program and got the person to commit...than the squadron commander it is.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on June 05, 2012, 03:18:54 AMIf it is the Squadron Commander who explained the program and got the person to commit...than the squadron commander it is.

No problem there at all - I'm talking about the situations where the block was just left blank, the unit CC had no influence, but
pens in his number anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2012, 03:51:29 AM
No problem there at all - I'm talking about the situations where the block was just left blank, the unit CC had no influence, but

Our recruiting officer pre-fills his CAPID number on the application to prevent any chance of that happening  ;D

MSG Mac

Quote from: Fubar on June 05, 2012, 05:16:42 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2012, 03:51:29 AM

Our recruiting officer pre-fills his CAPID number on the application to prevent any chance of that happening  ;D

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

I don't know how it's run out in the Real-world CAP, but is it standard procedure for Recruiting officers to get credit for non-member referred members? By that I mean: someone who found the unit on their own, not via contact with ANY current CAP member.

bflynn

I wouldn't think so.  Does a sales man get commission if someone walks into a store and buys product off the shelf?

For the OP - it strikes me that you're not comfortable tooting your own horn.  It's ok here, you're not bragging, you're getting a ribbon for what you did.  You did it, it is due to you.  If you don't speak up, it's very likely nobody else will.

If you're not comfortable with that, perhaps if you just phrase it as a question to your squadron commander?