The Dutch are going to mars!

Started by Extremepredjudice, June 01, 2012, 12:10:00 AM

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Flying Pig

The Dutch huh?  I wouldnt buy your tickets just yet if I were you.

Майор Хаткевич

Will they be going on the....Flying Dutchman?

titanII

We'll see how well that plan works out for them....
I know I'm not holding my breath until they succeed....
::)
No longer active on CAP talk

jeders

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 01, 2012, 01:18:04 AM

I knew someone would make that joke.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Struts

This would be a great experience! Some of us could go down in history for creating the first CAP squadron on Mars  ;D  8)

MSG Mac

Quote from: Cashboy on June 01, 2012, 08:57:18 PM
This would be a great experience! Some of us could go down in history for creating the first CAP squadron on Mars  ;D  8)
You'll notice that it's a ONE-WAY TRIP! 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

Logging into eServices would be fun with a light-travel time of between 4.3 and 21 minutes...that's, in network terms, a very high latency network.

EMT-83

Struts

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 01, 2012, 09:30:41 PM
We can meet in one of those nice little white domes they have there. I think we can fit a few people in there. Our first activity would be to build us a hanger. It would be just like Earth...Except with a lot of red dirt.

SarDragon

Quote from: Cashboy on June 02, 2012, 02:29:57 AM
This would be a great experience! Some of us could go down in history for creating the first CAP squadron on Mars  ;D 8)
We can meet in one of those nice little white domes they have there. I think we can fit a few people in there. Our first activity would be to build us a hanger. It would be just like Earth...Except with a lot of red dirt.

And what are you going to hang on it?  :o

Hanger - something you hang things on

Hangar - place where airplanes live

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Struts

Correction...Hangar. I'm sorry it was late after a long day.

NIN

It would be just like Earth...Except with a lot of red dirt.

And no breathable atmosphere. Then its a lot like New Jersey. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Struts

Quote from: NIN on June 02, 2012, 02:53:03 PM
It would be just like Earth...Except with a lot of red dirt.

And no breathable atmosphere. Then its a lot like New Jersey. :)
:clap:

I was talking about it having a pressurized compartment sir.

capmaj

bosshawk

In the red dirt, of course.  And a Heinikins brewery would be built in the pressurized compartment.  No self-respecting Dutchman would be seen without his beer.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RogueLeader

What about the bakery for our doughnuts?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

titanII

Quote from: bosshawk on June 02, 2012, 03:52:45 PM
And a Heinikins brewery would be built in the pressurized compartment.  No self-respecting Dutchman would be seen without his beer.
And a greenhouse for the... nevermind  >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

RogueLeader

Quote from: titanII on June 02, 2012, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on June 02, 2012, 03:52:45 PM
And a Heinikins brewery would be built in the pressurized compartment.  No self-respecting Dutchman would be seen without his beer.
And a greenhouse for the... nevermind  >:D

See http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15410.0
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

This would be a great experience! Some of us could go down in history for creating the first CAP squadron on Mars  ;D 8)

That's what the Pegasus team was told. They made it home anyway.

Though NCSA travel will be a bit hard.

Sgt. Fischer

Yeah.. I think I heard that a few months ago. It's pretty cool. But, I don't know why anyone would want to go to mars for the rest of their lives. Is there anything there that isn't' here?

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 01, 2012, 01:18:04 AM

*Facepalm*

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on June 02, 2012, 11:05:42 PM
Yeah.. I think I heard that a few months ago. It's pretty cool. But, I don't know why anyone would want to go to mars for the rest of their lives. Is there anything there that isn't' here?

A new frontier? Leaving the cradle? Doubling our chances of surviving an extinction event?

I think MANY people are coming to terms that we'd need to send the first 100-200 people on one way trips. They will also have to be older so that the increased possibility of cancer won't factor in.

Nothing new really, various scientists/scholars/sci-fi writers have been proposing this for decades.

It's not hanging on volunteers - they'll get plenty of those. It comes down to Money.

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 02, 2012, 11:38:07 PM
Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on June 02, 2012, 11:05:42 PM

A new frontier? Leaving the cradle? Doubling our chances of surviving an extinction event?

I think MANY people are coming to terms that we'd need to send the first 100-200 people on one way trips. They will also have to be older so that the increased possibility of cancer won't factor in.

Nothing new really, various scientists/scholars/sci-fi writers have been proposing this for decades.

It's not hanging on volunteers - they'll get plenty of those. It comes down to Money.

I guess you have a point.

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

SARDOC

I couldn't imagine trying to live on Mars in those wooden shoes.

caphornbuckle

Wasn't there a movie or book about a group of people going to Mars (or another planet) on a ship and before the ship made it, another ship caught up to them because of the change in technology between the first and second launch?

I remember reading or watching a show about it ages ago.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Struts

Quote from: caphornbuckle on June 05, 2012, 09:06:17 AM
Wasn't there a movie or book about a group of people going to Mars (or another planet) on a ship and before the ship made it, another ship caught up to them because of the change in technology between the first and second launch?
I can definitely see that happening here. Another reason to wait  :D