Crowning of Ball Caps

Started by Guardrail, February 09, 2007, 06:34:43 AM

Guardrail

I've seen many CAP members (especially cadets) "crown" their unit Ball Caps.  It looks tacky and I've never seen any Air Force personnel do it (except Base Honor Guard, and even then it's not as pronounced).

The cap is crushed about 1/4 of the way, which is called "crowning."  Some people crush the cap halfway to 3/4, which looks even worse.  Is this authorized?

lordmonar

Maybe...maybe not.  Not worth arguing about.....if the cadet (or SM) is in your chain of command....make him wear it the way you like.   If not...ignore it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MattPHS2002

When I was a cadet, we called it "peaking" no clue if it was/is authorized but it was squadron tradition AFAIK they don't do it any more and I know my new squadron.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

shorning

Quote from: Guardrail on February 09, 2007, 06:34:43 AM
Is this authorized?

Since you're more interested in what CAP does than most non-members, what does the reg say?  I bet you can find the answer.

Of course this exercise in moot since someone will likely give you the answer right out of the reg anyway...

JohnKachenmeister

OK, What's the problem again?  The cadet captain is not wearing authorized headgear in the precisely proper fashion?

Don't ever join the Navy.  You will go crazy with the way sailors put "Wings" and other unauthorized personal style statements on their dixie-cup hats.
Another former CAP officer

Ned

And did you get the cadet's permission before spreading his image on the internet, apparently for the sole purpose of gathering criticism of him personally?  ("I think it looks tacky . . .")

(Yes, I know it appears on his squadron's website, but you have further published his identfiable image to an entirely different audience and for an entirely different purpose.)

Speaking of which, did you ask permission of the squadron webmaster before linking to their site?

If you have not received permission from the cadet, may I respectfully suggest you edit your post to remove his image?

Perhaps you'd like to post a few pictures of yourself so we can all take turns making fun of your uniform.

Oh wait, you don't wear one.

Rangersigo

This is a common way to wear that headgear in the Army among Riggers in Airborne Units.  My guess is that this CPT is a high speed type of individual that is trying to show some pride in his wear of the uniform. 

What is the big deal?  Does it make someone feel insecure or threatened.  If the SC has authorized the distinctive headgear - let it be.

mmouw

I don't see any problem with the hat. At least he isn't wearing a sword with it. >:D
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

ddelaney103

We used to work over our orange Ranger ball caps like that WIWAC - esp with the really high crowned caps.  Not on my short list of "things to lose sleep over in CAP."

BTW - is he advertising that he is Maxwell Smart?

Guardrail

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 09, 2007, 06:04:30 PMBTW - is he advertising that he is Maxwell Smart?

What does that mean?

Guardrail

Quote from: Ned on February 09, 2007, 05:45:56 PM
...apparently for the sole purpose of gathering criticism of him personally?  ("I think it looks tacky . . .")

The purpose was not to gather criticism of the cadet personally.  It was just an example of crowning of the ball cap, which I think looks tacky.  It doesn't matter who does it.  If I could photoshop the pic to blank out the cadet's face, I would have. 

BTW, the photo is gone. 

Dragoon

Feel free to join CAP, become a wing commander, and outlaw it in your command.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Guardrail on February 09, 2007, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 09, 2007, 06:04:30 PMBTW - is he advertising that he is Maxwell Smart?

What does that mean?

Major Carrales: "Don't tell me he (Guardrail) didn't get it?"

DDelaney: "Uh...he didn't get it..."

Major Carrales: "I asked you not to tell me that!!!"  Anyways...That's the second biggest missed joke I've ever read...uh...would you beleive third?  Welll...uh...how about 5th?  He missed it by "that much."

Maxwell Smart was Agent 86 in the old Mel Brooks/Buck Henry show GET SMART
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Guardrail

Quote from: shorning on February 09, 2007, 07:06:32 AM
Is this authorized?

Since you're more interested in what CAP does than most non-members, what does the reg say?  I bet you can find the answer.

One of the first things I did before posting was check the 39-1, sir.  It didn't say.  I'm positive the reg didn't say it was either authorized or unauthorized. 

Interesting note: the 39-1 says that all other headgear must not be crushed.  So what makes the organizational ball cap so special?

lordmonar

Quote from: Guardrail on February 09, 2007, 06:30:51 PM
Is this authorized?

One of the first things I did before posting was check the 39-1, sir.  It didn't say.  I'm positive the reg didn't say it was either authorized or unauthorized. 

Interesting note: the 39-1 says that all other headgear must not be crushed.  So what makes the organizational ball cap so special?

Who cares?

If you don't like it....join cap...become a commander and start enforcing your ideal of what an "un-tacky" hat should look like.  Move up the chain and establish those standards for your command....one day you could be national commander and we would all wear the ball cap in just the way you thing would be cool.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Guardrail on February 09, 2007, 06:30:51 PM
Is this authorized?

By "crushed" they are referring to the "50 mission cruch" used by WWII avaitors on their service caps.  Originally caused by putting headsets over the service cap (although some credit Douglas MacArthur :American Ceasar by Manchester: for removing teh gromit from his service cap as early as WWI when he was incharge of the Rainbow division...the book claims that this influenced aviators like Billy Mitchell et al).

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 09, 2007, 06:23:07 PM

I got the reference. Guardrail obviously didn't. Betcha can't tell me why....

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2007, 08:44:10 PM

'Cause he's prolly a young pup...  ;D Ah yeah... classic TV, when it was worth watching!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Chappie

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2007, 08:44:10 PM

If we use the cone of silence, I will tell you why he missed the reference.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

Oh! No! Not the dreaded cone of silence!  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Guardrail on February 09, 2007, 06:11:34 PM

What does that mean?

Major Carrales: "Don't tell me he (Guardrail) didn't get it?"

DDelaney: "Uh...he didn't get it..."

Major Carrales: "I asked you not to tell me that!!!"  Anyways...That's the second biggest missed joke I've ever read...uh...would you beleive third?  Welll...uh...how about 5th?  He missed it by "that much."

Don Adams is dead, and none of the current cadets (and precious few officers) remember "Maxwell Smart."  They do probably remember "Inspector Gadget" whose voice sounded a lot like Agent 86.

Would you believe...?

Major Carrales

BEHOLD...The "Cone of Silence..."

And the seldom seen portable CONE of SILENCE...

God, I miss that show!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

I understand that they are gong to make a Get Smar movie.

captrncap

Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2007, 05:44:42 AM
I understand that they are gong to make a Get Smart movie.

I wouldn't believe that - lol

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: captrncap on February 10, 2007, 06:24:31 AM

I wouldn't believe that - lol

Well, then would you believe a television miniseries?

How about a public service announcement during "Meet the Press?

AlphaSigOU

They already did - The Nude Bomb.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 10, 2007, 07:32:47 PM

They already did - The Nude Bomb.

Yike...I think I may have actually seen that.  My Father-in-law has it on VHS.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

Like last year's remake of The Honeymooners, The Nude Bomb was a movie that didn't need to be made.  I was just as happy with memories of Max, 99, the Chief, and all the assorted KAOS bad guys.

I didn't need to see how badly Get Smart could be done by watching that awful movie.

Jack
Agent 008 1/2
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 10, 2007, 11:55:25 PM
Like last year's remake of The Honeymooners, The Nude Bomb was a movie that didn't need to be made.  I was just as happy with memories of Max, 99, the Chief, and all the assorted KAOS bad guys.

I didn't need to see how badly Get Smart could be done by watching that awful movie.

Jack
Agent 008 1/2

There was a Get Smart Again made for TV movie that was pretty good.  I have it on VHS somewhere.  It is a continuation of the old run.

Now The New Get Smart TV series with Andy Dick really...well, you blokes can have a field day with that one!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Agent 99 was cute, but nowhere near as hot as Emma Peel

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 11, 2007, 03:32:02 AM
Agent 99 was cute, but nowhere near as hot as Emma Peel

Not to mention that Emma Peel had better taste in clothing and a wider range of talents...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

MIKE

Since we stopped talking about boxing ball caps a page and a half ago.  Lock.
Mike Johnston