Main Menu

grade on the cap

Started by brasda91, February 06, 2007, 05:51:45 PM

brasda91

While I have been advocating adding the grade back to the BDU cap, I must say, I think they messed up by the location of where the grade is to be sewn on.  I think it should go above the hem of the material in the center of the cap.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Hawk200

If you put it above the hem, it sits too high. Just center it top to bottom, it looks fine.

MIKE

Quote from: CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniforms2. The Air Force has also authorized the wear of the ultramarine blue embroidered
grade insignia centered on the BDU hat (see atch 2) by senior member officers. The
grade insignia may be worn immediately and a mandatory wear date of 1 May 2007 has
been established.

One could argue that centered means centered both vertically and horizontally in line with AFI 36-2903.  Note that they don't mention the 1/2 inch up from the visor like they have specified previously for cadet officers and for placement on the blue BDU cap as worn with the Field Uniform.

They appear to have fixed the typo with the mandatory wear date as well.  It read 2006 previously IIRC.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on February 06, 2007, 06:13:02 PM
Quote from: CAP/CC Letter, Change to CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniforms2. The Air Force has also authorized the wear of the ultramarine blue embroidered grade insignia centered on the BDU hat (see atch 2) by senior member officers. The grade insignia may be worn immediately and a mandatory wear date of 1 May 2007 has
been established.

One could argue that centered means centered both vertically and horizontally in line with AFI 36-2903.  Note that they don't mention the 1/2 inch up from the visor like they have specified previously for cadet officers and for placement on the blue BDU cap as worn with the Field Uniform.

The original poster mentioned that he felt that it should have been above the hem on the hat. That's addressing the vertical placement. The horizontal measurement was not in question.

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 06, 2007, 06:17:51 PM
The original poster mentioned that he felt that it should have been above the hem on the hat. That's addressing the vertical placement. The horizontal measurement was not in question.

I was posting while you were posting, from the looks of things I think we are in agreement.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on February 06, 2007, 06:25:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 06, 2007, 06:17:51 PM

I was posting while you were posting, from the looks of things I think we are in agreement.

My apologies. Didn't notice the posting times.

mikeylikey

Since the policy letter only authorizes BDU covers, does that mean those "other" colored ball caps (orange, blue, green whatever) don't get the grade insignia?
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 06, 2007, 09:21:45 PM
Since the policy letter only authorizes BDU covers, does that mean those "other" colored ball caps (orange, blue, green whatever) don't get the grade insignia?

As of now...yes....but I think that will change soon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Is there any hope of getting RID of the ball caps?  :D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 07, 2007, 12:20:29 PMIs there any hope of getting RID of the ball caps?  :D

Probably not, too much history in both CAP and the Air Force. They will probably be around awhile.

afgeo4

Air Force organizational caps (ball caps) do not have rank on them, but they do identify the Commander and the deputy/vice. Also, they have farts and darts to identify field and general grade officers... we should authorize that on ours.

I handed my bdu caps to the alterations shop at Ft. Hamilton and they put on the insignia as per all the military regs... I didn't have to say a word. The insignia is centered on the cap, both horizontally and vertically.  The problem with the 1/2" mark is that caps come in a variety of sizes. Some are taller than others, so the insignia would look out of place on most. Having it centered, makes more sense from the appearance and uniformity standpoint. I used common sense on that one if you can't tell.  8)
GEORGE LURYE

Guardrail

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 07, 2007, 07:40:40 PM
Air Force organizational caps (ball caps) do not have rank on them,

Yes they do; they have the large bright metal pin-on rank insignia.

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 07, 2007, 07:40:40 PMbut they do identify the Commander and the deputy/vice. Also, they have farts and darts to identify field and general grade officers... we should authorize that on ours.

I have seen this too, but not all AF ball caps have them. 

DNall

Also, they have farts and darts to identify field and general grade officers... we should authorize that on ours.
The ultramarine blue hats that were popular about 10 years ago had this & big space in the center calling out for mini-grade that was commonly put there.

lordmonar

Air Force organizational caps (ball caps) do not have rank on them, but they do identify the Commander and the deputy/vice. Also, they have farts and darts to identify field and general grade officers... we should authorize that on ours.

Officers wear rank and I have not seen farts and darts on an organisational ball cap in many years.  IMHO we should NOT authorize the farts and darts on CAP ball caps but allow rank.

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 07, 2007, 07:40:40 PMI handed my bdu caps to the alterations shop at Ft. Hamilton and they put on the insignia as per all the military regs... I didn't have to say a word. The insignia is centered on the cap, both horizontally and vertically.  The problem with the 1/2" mark is that caps come in a variety of sizes. Some are taller than others, so the insignia would look out of place on most. Having it centered, makes more sense from the appearance and uniformity standpoint. I used common sense on that one if you can't tell.  8)

I did the same...I just gave mine to the alterations here on Nellis and picked it up a couple of days later.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: lordmonar on February 07, 2007, 08:44:04 PM

Officers wear rank and I have not seen farts and darts on an organisational ball cap in many years.  IMHO we should NOT authorize the farts and darts on CAP ball caps but allow rank.

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 07, 2007, 07:40:40 PMI handed my bdu caps to the alterations shop at Ft. Hamilton and they put on the insignia as per all the military regs... I didn't have to say a word. The insignia is centered on the cap, both horizontally and vertically.  The problem with the 1/2" mark is that caps come in a variety of sizes. Some are taller than others, so the insignia would look out of place on most. Having it centered, makes more sense from the appearance and uniformity standpoint. I used common sense on that one if you can't tell.  8)

I did the same...I just gave mine to the alterations here on Nellis and picked it up a couple of days later.

You guys are gonna be in SO much trouble for trying to use "Common Sense!"
Another former CAP officer