2012 Combat Control Orientation Course

Started by Spartan, February 28, 2012, 10:08:22 PM

Spartan

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The activity that gives you a look into the Special Tactics officers and Combat Control Air Force career fields is back for a 4th year.  That's right Combat Control Orientation Course is accepting applications until 2359:59 hours, 15 May 2012.  This physically demanding, activity is filled with high adventure activities and training opportunities that are not available anywhere else in Civil Air Patrol.  Senior members and cadets are eligible to attend as students.

The course curriculum includes
-History of the Combat Control and Special Tactics Officer career fields
-Hands on leadership instruction
-Static line parachute familiarization to include exit from a 34' tower.
-CCT weapons and equipment familiarization
-Air Traffic Control procedure familiarization
-Physical fitness instruction from USAF Combat Control School instructors
-Freefall instruction, culminating in freefall techniques in a vertical wind tunnel
-Introduction to tips, tactics, and techniques used by Special Tactics Officers and Combat Control Teams
-Touring the Airborne and Special Forces Museum

To be eligible to attend CCOC, student candidates must meet certain requirements:
CADETS
-15+ years old no later than 29 July 2012
-C/SSgt or higher
-CAP Encampment graduate
-Be in physical category I (unrestricted) and in good physical condition
-Pass ALL events on the physical assessment submitted as part of the basic application

SENIOR MEMBERS
-18+ years old
-Completed Level 1
-2d Lt/FO or higher
-Be in physical category I (unrestricted) and in good physical condition
-Pass ALL events on the physical assessment submitted as part of the basic application

A completed basic application consists of the following:
-A typed CAPF 31 with ALL required signatures on P-4 to include Wing and Region Commanders if you are not a member of NCWG or MER
-A completed physical assessment worksheet with a PASS in ALL events certified by your squadron commander or their designated representative
     -If you don't do an event it will be marked as a fail
     -Any failure on one event is considered a failure of the entire assessment

There is a plethora of additional information that can be found at the activity website www.capcombatcontrol.com.  The physical assessment worksheet and instructions as well as the waiver forms for the training activities can be found on the website as well.

There are 20 hard slots that are awarded by a board that reviews each application for completeness.  Selection results for primary slots and secondary slots will be released on or about 1 June.

There are a few tips that can help with a smooth selection process for your application:
-Proof read your application for errors
-Include an E-Mail Address that you check regularly (We do almost all of our communications by e-mail)
-Ensure that before you send an application in, it has the required signatures and accompanying paperwork
-Have your chain of command physically sign a copy of P-4 of your CAPF 31.  Printing a PDF copy, signing it and sending a scanned copy is acceptable.  Ensure that the P-4 you send has all the endorsements you need prior to submitting your application
-If you have an issue and need an exception to policy, contact the XO personally.  Do this even if you have your Squadron/CC, Group/CC, Wing/CC contacting the XO to explain the situation.  The other person contacting the XO on your behalf may not have all the facts or has misinterpreted something.
-Show the core values when you take your physical assessment.  We give the physical assessment on day one of the course.  If you cannot pass the assessment on day one, we will send you home.  This is not a joke or a scare tactic.  We have sent students home each year at their expense because they were not capable of completing the physical assessment.  Let's make 2012 the exception to this trend.
-If something is not clear, ask the XO.  It is part of his job to advise you on how to get your applications turned in correctly

Applications can be sent electronically to ccoc-xo@ncwg.cap.gov or a hard copy can be sent to the following address.

CCOC
5345 Ballentine St.
Hope Mills, NC 28348

Aaron M. Schaak, 1st Lt, CAP
Operations Officer, CCOC

Spartan

I just caught that the activity dates are missing.  The dates are 29 July - 4 August 2012.

Spartan

There are only two months remaining until the application window closes for the 2012 Combat Control Orientation Course.  The application window closes at 2359:59 hours, 15 May 2012.  There is still plenty of time to get your paperwork reviewed, endorsed and returned to you, as well as train to have an improved physical assessment score.  Don't miss out on attending CCOC this year because you waited until the last minute to send your paperwork up the chain of command for signatures.  The difference between attending and missing out can come down to submitting your application on this side of the deadline.  Last year we had a LOT of highly qualified applications that were rejected because they were not sent on time.

Make sure your e-mail or letter is timestamped or post mark before the deadline.

Flying Pig

I still think this has to be one of the coolest courses offered in CAP.  I wish CAP could get closer to the Naval Sea Cadets in the way of the courses that are offered to cadets. 

Spartan

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2012, 08:50:04 PM
I still think this has to be one of the coolest courses offered in CAP.  I wish CAP could get closer to the Naval Sea Cadets in the way of the courses that are offered to cadets. 

How does the Naval Sea Cadets method of offering courses differ from how CAP does things?  It may be worth integrating some of the ideas to make the process better.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spartan on March 17, 2012, 09:18:37 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on March 17, 2012, 08:50:04 PM

How does the Naval Sea Cadets method of offering courses differ from how CAP does things?  It may be worth integrating some of the ideas to make the process better.

Naval Sea Cadet courses for the most part reflect on exploring Navy careers. While CAP has some NCSAs like that, the majority are not.

AngelWings

I have to attend encampment this year, and work hard on my physical fitness. This looks AMAZING! I am so happy I saw this!!!

Spartan

Quote from: Littleguy on March 17, 2012, 10:28:29 PM
I have to attend encampment this year, and work hard on my physical fitness. This looks AMAZING! I am so happy I saw this!!!
Encampment is probably the single biggest door opener in CAP. 

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 17, 2012, 10:09:26 PM

Naval Sea Cadet courses for the most part reflect on exploring Navy careers. While CAP has some NCSAs like that, the majority are not.
I've been impressed each year with CCOC.  It creates the closest experience to a military school environment that I've seen CAP put on.  I haven't been to everything that CAP has that explore AF career fields, but I think CCOC does an excellent job allowing CAP members to explore the CCT and STO career fields.

Майор Хаткевич

I bet it does! I think we all wish there was more of this, and more widely available.

GTCommando

CCOC looks awesome! I'd go in a heartbeat, but the dates conflict with COS.  :'( :'( :'( Maybe next year.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Spartan

Quote from: GTCommando on March 18, 2012, 11:47:04 AM
CCOC looks awesome! I'd go in a heartbeat, but the dates conflict with COS.  :'( :'( :'( Maybe next year.
CCOC will be there next year.  Each year we're making it better.

Flying Pig

AIRMAN TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TRAINING
FAA GROUND SCHOOL
CULINARY ARTS TRAINING
MEDICAL TRAINING (GENERAL, FIELD, SURGICAL & DENTAL TECH)
FIREFIGHTING TRAINING
PHOTO JOURNALISM TRAINING
CEREMONIAL GUARD
SUBMARINE SEMINAR
MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING
CONSTRUCTION BATTALION (SEABEE) TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
MINE WAREFARE OPERATIONS TRAINING
MUSIC SCHOOL
SEAL TEAM TRAINING
EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL TRAINING
AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING
PETTY OFFICER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
MASTER-AT-ARMS TRAINING (MILITARY POLICE/LAW)
JUDGE ADVOCATED GENERAL (JAG) TRAINING
SAILING SCHOOL
SCUBA SCHOOL
SEAMANSHIP TRAINING
SHIPBOARD TRAINING
LIVE ABOARD NAVY & COAST GUARD SHIPS & SHORE STATIONS FOR TWO-WEEKS.

Sea cadet activities are oriented more towards allowing cadets to explore specific Navy MOS's.  This isnt a who is better discussion by any means.  They all have their perks. The Sea Cadets are 100% geared towards funneling kids in the Navy.  Whereas CAP isnt really.  Also, the Sea Cadets are a 100% cadet program.  Obviously there is no SAR, ES or anything like that.  They are two totally separate programs.  But with things like CCOC, Cadet survival school, I think we are headed that way for cadets.  If you read through the Sea Cadet manuals, they are encouraged to develop partnerships with CAP unit for activities.

titanII

From a cadet perspective, I would totally love if more Air Force career-oriented NCSA's or even just regional activities showed up.
No longer active on CAP talk

Perez

Even a joint career orientation where each cadet organization trained in a specific field, and then put it all together with a few training days and some field exercises would be amazing! I for one have no desire to join the navy, but any of these schools listed would appeal to me. Heck, even the culinary arts!
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Extremepredjudice

JAG training would be really cool!  :D

Quote from: titanII on March 19, 2012, 12:56:12 AM
From a cadet perspective, I would totally love if more Air Force career-oriented NCSA's or even just regional activities showed up.
+1. The option would be nice.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spartan

Sunday 1 April marks 45 days until the application window closes.  Please ensure your application is completed and time stamped or post marked prior to 2359:59 hrs YOUR TIME on 15 May 2012.  Your E-Mail should automatically produce a time stamp when you send it.  Don't wait until the last minute for your Wing and Region Commanders to endorse your CAPF 31.  Act now and have the comfort of having your application turned in and ready to go before the deadline.  Remember, if you don't make the cut off time, your application will not be considered.

A minimum application consists of
-CAPF 31 with all necessary endorsements on p-4
-A completed physical assessment worksheet with a pass in ALL events endorsed by your squadron commander or their representative

A question that has come up is:
-Does the squadron commander need to witness the physical assessment personally?

No, the squadron commander does not need to be there personally.  They can send another senior member to proctor the assessment.  The XO has also approved having a lifeguard or swimming instructor certifying the swim portion.  Remember, you will be given the assessment on day 1 with all events following the flow on the assessment form.

Spartan

Update:

The course director and executive officer have decided to drop the region endorsement requirement.  The wing commander or their representitive endorsing your CAPF 31 will be sufficient.

Extremepredjudice

Dumb question: you talk about the PT requirements, but I can't seem to find them.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

I couldn't find anything for CCOC but here are the requirements for PJOC both fields AD wise go through the same schools for the most part and have the same requirements pt wise.

http://www.ncsas.com/file.cfm/media/careerfairs/documents/PJOC_PT_Requirements_7B77B39C6CC8B.pdf

Extremepredjudice

I think there is swimming as part in CCOC.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor