Culling the uniform manual...

Started by Hawk200, January 28, 2007, 07:55:09 PM

Dragoon

Back to "what would you eliminate"

First, lets standardize on a black undershirt, to be worn whenever an undershirt is to be visible.  (flight suits, BDUs, BBDUs and Blue flight suit, and heck, even with the golf shirt)

And speaking of the golf shirt - eliminate it.  No grade insignia = not really a uniform.

Standardize on a single, distinctive ball cap for all utility and flight uniforms.  Probably navy blue, or perhaps ultramarine blue to match the nametapes (and provide a little visibility)

Standardize on a single name badge for everything except the blazer.  Make it in two colors (one for cadets) but otherwise identical. (Heck, you could even get down to one that has a single hole in it - put in your grade insignia for the blazer, and a CAP shield for all other uniforms.

Only the USAF blue tie.  Even with the blazer.  Keep it simple.

Wherever possible, make sure USAF and Corporate uniforms are worn the same way.  Same cutouts, same grade insignia, same badges and ribbons....the only difference should be the lack of military awards on the corporate suits.  Keep it simple and we're more likely to wear them correctly.

Eliminate the US Flag on the BDUs.  We're only going to operate in the US anyway.  And if you can't eliminate it, put it on the left shoulder so it's the same as on the flight suits.  Simple is better.

Allow USAF outerwear with the TPU.  The idea of wearing Army outerwear and claiming its "corporate" is just silly.  Either get USAF's permission to wear their stuff (with our insignia) or create non-DoD outerwear.

Fewer uniform choices = more chance of our members wearing them correctly!

Hawk200

Dragoon, I like the ideas for nametags. Been thinking about that one for awhile, just couldn't seem to get them down to just a couple to use. Your idea is brilliantly simple.

DNall

Make that even simpler... just use the standard USAF blue namplate, or the new two line blue nameplate. Standardize for all uniforms, both cadet & senior (have to keep the sliver ones for service dress, use the same one one corp-style jacket & blazer).

afgeo4

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 01, 2007, 01:58:14 PM
I know that we are the Unpaid Auxiliary of the Air Force, however. Has it ever been proposed that we be given a uniform allowance? -- Similar to the annual credit CAC carrying personnel receive with which to purchase uniform items? I know that even a little bit could go a long way for ALOT of our membership.

Thoughts?

The Air Force barely has money to issue their airmen ABUs as it is. I really don't think they can afford to issue us all uniforms.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: dogden on February 01, 2007, 09:22:10 PM
When I was in the Utah area we had a good relationship with Hill AFB, we had access to the airmans attic. If folks your state have access to these facilities you can get uniforms for free. My group commander here in Texas informed me that if we make the trip to San Antonio we can get the uniforms of the USAF BMT washouts if we help the San Antonio folks sort the uniforms they have.

From my experience if there is a need you can get the uniforms. There is no need for our members to pay for uniforms if they can't afford to do so, we just need to use the resources we have. If your commander isn't willing to find these resources, shame on the commander. If the units that have these resources are not willing to share, shame on them.

I'm under the impression that USAF BMT washouts get to keep their BDUs/blues except for outerwear which is recycled to new issue. Garments worn over skin cannot be reissued and are allowed to go home with discharged personnel. It is allowed because it would cost the USAF money to destroy those uniforms vs. no cost if they take them home. But, most active, reserve, and ANG bases do have to get rid of uniforms that are issued and then become unserviceable. Most logistics squadrons keep bins of those to be discarded. Many uniform items there are in good condition and are great for CAP. Most reservists and guardsment get free uniforms every year as opposed to active duty who have to pay for them out of allotment every 2 years I believe, so many uniforms are in VERY good conditions. Speak to your nearest Logistics Sq on a base about this. They may let you raid those bins. Mention that a lot of that will go to cadets and they will be more lenient. Airmens attics are a great suggestion though and I myself have used the one at McGuire. They store uniforms for JROTC units who often just don't show up to pick them up. They were more than happy to give them to us when we showed up even unannounced.
GEORGE LURYE

Al Sayre

You might also check with the base Brig or Detention Facility, the usually have a closet full of Uniforms from those who get tossed out.  Offer to clean out the closet if you can keep the uniforms...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ZigZag911

Lose the following:

cadet officer shoulder boards

pre-solo wings

shoulder cords of all descriptions

hats,scarves, and similar accourtrements for Hawk Mtn, various "ranger" schools (allow them to keep patches)

brasda91

do away with the new Distinctive CAP Service uniform.  Or at least provide the uniform to everyone at no cost.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Hawk200

Here's the list on eliminations:

1. Patches from the BDU's. (6)
2. Corporate Service Dress(6)
3. Golf shirts (5)
4. US flag on BDU's (5)
5. Unique Special Activities patches & insignia (4)
6. Cadet officer shoulder boards (4)
7. TPU silver sleeve braid (4)
8. ES patches from flightsuits (4)
9. Pre solo wings (3)
10. Blazer Uniform (3)
11. White undershirts with field uniform. (3)
12. Emergency Services patches (3)
13. Group CC badge (3)
14. New CAP Command Shield (3)
15. Eliminate Command Service ribbon (3)
16. Berets (3)
17. CAP cutouts on Field jackets (2)
18. Plastic flightsuit/utility uniform rank insignia (2)
19. Brightly colored patches on BDU's (2)
20. Flight suit scarf (2)
21. Blue utility uniform {jumpsuit}
22. National Commanders Commendation
23. National Commanders Unit Citation
24. Blue BDU's
25. CAP cutouts on collar for senior member NCOs
26. Multiple Professional Development awards.
27. Flightsuit patches
28. Metal rank insignia from BBDU hat
29. Cadet Orientation pilot ribbon
30. Unit citation Ribbon
31. CAP cutouts on the cadet blues shirts
32. Blue Cardigan
33. Old style service dress
34. Brown t-shirts
35. Blazer tie
36. Silver chin strap on corporate Service Dress
37. Shoulder cords
38. Special activities hats and scarves.

Please, keep in mind that all I did was compile this. I would rather not be called "crazy" or "insane" like in the last thread I did when I compiled what people would be interested in seeing.

There were a few things I did not compile that would have been contrary to what the Air Force does with it's uniforms. But for the most part it's all here.

Got an idea on reducing Senior Member PD ribbons, but I'm gonna put that up on another thread.