New Recruits?

Started by Sgt. Fischer, February 10, 2012, 11:58:04 PM

Sgt. Fischer

What's the best way to get new recruits? MY squadron is pretty small....... :(

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

MSG Mac

1. Advertise let people know you're there.
2. News releases and Local access TV spots
3. Open house and school presentations
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Perez

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but the most important thing is to get your name out to the community. Volunteer to help at races, soup kitchens, parades, and anything else you can. You might also want to check with local civic organizations. Many of these will be very supportive, and will provide you with ample access to young people and those who like working with them. The Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, Boy Scouts, or even your library would all be good ideas.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Fearthehog

Starting a Facebook fan page helped us get more fans and community presence. I would partner with the local schools and see about any upcoming events or career days. Showing kids what we are about is really fun and you are sure to definitely get some new recruits. Also having a good retention keeps the cadets you currently have. Hope this helps!

Extremepredjudice

The OP is banned, so I doubt he'll read that...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Fearthehog

Oh I didn't notice. Just trying to help

bflynn

Interesting...I wonder what that was about, he only had like 18 posts.

My limited experience is that the challenge isn't recruiting, it's keeping people.  I've seen a high amount of turnover in our squadron with regards to new people; they're here, they come to a few meetings and then say "it's not for me".  I don't find that suprising, but it might be worth an investigation to find out why people never join or leave. 

weisguy

My squadron is starting a cadet recruitment group where cadets go to places and set up a booth with flyers and information getting cadets to come to a meeting. I would suggest you try doing something like this.
Brandon S. Flowers, C/SSgt, CAP
Element Leader, GLR-OH-156

Private Investigator

Quote from: weisguy on March 13, 2012, 08:43:14 PM
My squadron is starting a cadet recruitment group where cadets go to places and set up a booth with flyers and information getting cadets to come to a meeting. I would suggest you try doing something like this.

+1

The Cadets in high school would go to the middle school to recruit and that always did well. 

Huey Driver

My squadron's cadets and SMs presented assemblies to a group of >600 local middle schoolers of age... and zero ever came to a meeting. maybe that's just us though.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Spartan

Quote from: JerseyCadet on March 14, 2012, 09:14:50 PM
My squadron's cadets and SMs presented assemblies to a group of >600 local middle schoolers of age... and zero ever came to a meeting. maybe that's just us though.

What did you do for the presentation?  Did you use more than one type of media?  What kind of visuals did you have to support your presentation?  Did you involve the audience?  How did you get their attention?  How did you hold their attention?  What information about CAP and the opportunities that CAP can open did you cover?  How many cadets spoke clearly and confidently about the program and their experiences?  Did your recruiting team practice before you came to have a polished, professional presentation ready? 

There are a lot of areas that need to be covered for a successful recruiting visit.  Remember that prior planning prevents poor performance.  Part of the planning is reconnisance and feeling for the interest in the group.  The better you know your audience, the better you can tailor the recruiting effort to their interests.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JerseyCadet on March 14, 2012, 09:14:50 PM

Its the approach. Some Senior Members mean well but they are a 'turn off' to potential Cadets.

bflynn

I doubt it's the SM that causes people not to come.

I would more strongly suspect the presentation - in short WIIFM (what's in it for me).  What was presented as the great points about CAP, why should someone join?  What do THEY get out of being in CAP that they can't get going to church or the Y?

Private Investigator

Quote from: bflynn on March 15, 2012, 01:14:36 PM
I doubt it's the SM that causes people not to come.

I would more strongly suspect the presentation - in short WIIFM (what's in it for me).  What was presented as the great points about CAP, why should someone join?  What do THEY get out of being in CAP that they can't get going to church or the Y?

Well the church and the Y do not have a really cool Cessna 182?  8)

600 middle schoolers and none wants to fly?

Cap'n

My squadron doesn't have much of a recruiting program that I know if. We do a few fundraisers and events a year that give glimpses to passerby of who we are, but unless they go out of the way to ask what Civil Air Patrol is, they don't really get any information. Some of our cadets recruit at their school, and invite their friends to come to a metting. It seems to be successful. We just got a wave of new cadets thanks to people passing on the word to their friends.

AngelWings

Social media is VERY important to recruiting. My squadron just got a new website, and our senior population grew pretty rapidly once it went online, and our cadet population is growing steadily. Make a Facebook page, a youtube channel, and if possile, your own squadron website. The more internet exposure, the better.

Try to aim directly at your target audience, with activities/events they'll see has interesting. For example, if you want aviation enthusiast, get a CAP plane available for an open house, and show it off. If you want military minded cadets, and have the resources to do something like this, show off a color guard team or, even better, a drill team.

A thing that is a turn off for more mature people is the impression that the program is for younger kids, meaning that they'll either be treated like a young kid or will be surrounded by little kids. I remember this story an online forum friend of my shared on this topic (about achieving the perfect blousing appearence). He was a part of some drill team, and when they'd face off with the Russians, they'd put their tallest and meanest looking men in the first row. They made the Russians look weak, and kind of intimidated them too  >:D. The public thought of them has very professional and impressive, to say the least. My advice is use your cadets with deeper voices (for guys), maturity, and make sure they look sharp.

I've seen a disaster recruiting attempt with a bunch of younger cadets trying to interact with older people. They said all of the right things any older cadet would say, and looked very sharp, but did not make the connection with these people. I ended up talking to these people, and right off the bat they said "Well, is this like the boy scouts? Those young boys over there, are they in the same organization you are?" (mind you I've been mistaken for a twenty year old, an active USAF member, and a recently deployed soldier). I said yes, and they opened up. I saw them at the next squadron meeting, and they gave CAP a try. It is not the young cadets fault, it is people who make assumptions too quickly faults.

Extremepredjudice

^ If anyone needs help with a squadron website, hit me up I'm more than willing to help.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

RADIOMAN015

I think one has to be honest and very conservative when recruiting.  You can't say to cadets they will be flying all the time (actually discuss how the flight orientation program works) OR to adults that there's lots of S&R and they can get right on a flight crew or ground team to get right into the action.

I know on the adult side we've been talking about "targeted" recruiting of members with specific skills we need and the prospective member is willing to use those skills to help the unit.  E.g. someone well versed in computers/networks (ideally working in the field) as the IT Officer. 

My squadron has tried a recruiting booth (including the color guard presenting the colors) at the local professional hockey games, without ANY success. :(   So the place chosen for recruiting is important.  They've also gone to a few schools without much success.  The military base has an open house this year, and this likely will be the best venue for recruiting cadets & (some qualified) seniors.
RM 

Grumpy

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 18, 2012, 01:49:30 AM
I think one has to be honest and very conservative when recruiting.  You can't say to cadets they will be flying all the time (actually discuss how the flight orientation program works) OR to adults that there's lots of S&R and they can get right on a flight crew or ground team to get right into the action.

I know on the adult side we've been talking about "targeted" recruiting of members with specific skills we need and the prospective member is willing to use those skills to help the unit.  E.g. someone well versed in computers/networks (ideally working in the field) as the IT Officer. 

My squadron has tried a recruiting booth (including the color guard presenting the colors) at the local professional hockey games, without ANY success. :(   So the place chosen for recruiting is important.  They've also gone to a few schools without much success.  The military base has an open house this year, and this likely will be the best venue for recruiting cadets & (some qualified) seniors.
RM

We meet on Comp Pendleton.  We were able to put our propaganda reecruiting posters and such in the base housing office and have had good luck getting recruits from personnel processing in.  I know, I know, not everybody meets on a military base but if you're lucky enough to have this opportunity try it.

bflynn

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 17, 2012, 03:29:51 PM
Well the church and the Y do not have a really cool Cessna 182?  8)

600 middle schoolers and none wants to fly?

That's a good question.  Was the ability to fly even touched on in a positive way?  I'd have to suspect it wasn't for exactly the reason you suggested.

You'll never catch a fish by explaining to him how delicious dinner will be.

Flash911

When I joined a few months ago, I found it awesome that my squadron sent out cadets in uniform to schools with brochures. Definitely got me to join.

Spartan

Quote from: Flash911 on March 20, 2012, 12:46:53 PM
When I joined a few months ago, I found it awesome that my squadron sent out cadets in uniform to schools with brochures. Definitely got me to join.
What was it about their presentation that sold you on joining CAP?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spartan on March 20, 2012, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: Flash911 on March 20, 2012, 12:46:53 PM
What was it about their presentation that sold you on joining CAP?

The uniform, initially got me.

Flash911, I like your signature, but if I can make a suggestion, consider removing the name/unit. It may not make sense now, but it's just a smart thing to do.

bflynn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 05:13:51 PM

Any thoughts on why the uniform attracted you?  How old were you when you joined?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 06:38:57 PM

Any thoughts on why the uniform attracted you?  How old were you when you joined?

Just turned 13.

BDU + Drill, above all else was what sold me on the program.

Later it was about the Leadership aspect of the program, but to a 13 year old - the uniform, perhaps the sense of belonging with others.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 06:38:57 PM

Just turned 13.

BDU + Drill, above all else was what sold me on the program.

Later it was about the Leadership aspect of the program, but to a 13 year old - the uniform, perhaps the sense of belonging with others.

Many years ago WIWAC at the age of 14 it was the uniform and military structure which got me also. Without those I dont think we would still be in existance today;  they are the "cadet magnets" that keep CAP alive today in my opinion!