Main Menu

Today's NFL flyover

Started by Duke Dillio, January 22, 2012, 08:07:02 PM

Woodsy

Right, one cessna wouldn't be very cool.  That's why they said they'd want 5 of them in formation.

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Woodsy on January 24, 2012, 12:46:51 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2012, 12:28:57 AM
CAP does flyovers all the time, you just can't have planes in formation, although that has been done on rare occasion with NHQ permission.

I was told in no uncertain terms that CAP can not and will not fly over a stadium.  I'm guessing it's a liability issue.

I was approached by the Jaguars and invited to do a flyover for a monday night football game next season, and had to decline after being told that by people at wing. 

I'm going to guess that this is an overzealous interpretation of CAPR 60-1, para 2-1 prohibiting aerobatic flights or formation flying.  I won't argue that whoever told you was right or wrong simply because it is their aircraft and they are responsible for it.  I do think that such a flight would be just really super awesome and would be great for PR (it is Monday Night Football after all).  I guess this will just fall into the black hole with other items like CAP sponsorship of an air show or various awards and decorations...

RogueLeader

Quote from: Woodsy on January 24, 2012, 01:08:49 AM
Right, one cessna wouldn't be very cool.  That's why they said they'd want 5 of them in formation.

You didn't mention that. ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Heh - one of our Cessnas could probably land on a C5 mid-air.  Now that I'd pay to see!

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Even 5 in formation at 2,000 ft AGL would be difficult to see.  Me thinks that NHQ should have gotten involved in that whole thing but the answer probably would have been the same.

a2capt

So next time, just point them at NHQ first, and then let it filter down to five units get picked, if anything becomes of it.

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on January 24, 2012, 02:05:46 AM
So next time, just point them at NHQ first, and then let it filter down to five units get picked, if anything becomes of it.

I sent it up my chain of command.  It didn't make it to NHQ before it was nixed.  That decision was made at wing level. 

NIN

Quote from: Woodsy on January 24, 2012, 12:46:51 AM
I was approached by the Jaguars and invited to do a flyover for a monday night football game next season, and had to decline after being told that by people at wing.

Tell 'em you know a guy who will deliver the game ball for free via parachute....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Quote from: cap235629 on January 23, 2012, 03:52:26 AM
the flyover was cool. The military capability of United States is not defined by attack aircraft alone.
That being said, Steven Tyler should be shot and his ashes scattered upon the four winds for that "performance".  And before you chastise me I was born and raised in Massachusetts and I am a lifelong Aerosmith fan.............

Amateurs study strategy, professionals study logistics.- Nepoleon (I think)

NCRblues

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 25, 2012, 09:34:08 PM
Amateurs study strategy, professionals study logistics.- Nepoleon (I think)

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Flying Pig

He was a stud if you ever read his bio. Navy Cross, DSC, Silver Star.....i should have remembered he said that!!!