Main Menu

Today's NFL flyover

Started by Duke Dillio, January 22, 2012, 08:07:02 PM

Duke Dillio

So I'm sitting here watching the football game and Steven Tyler is just destroying the national anthem.....  I'm looking forward to seeing a couple F-15's or F-16's doing their flyover and what do I see?

A cargo plane?

Seriously?  Is that where our military might really is???    >:D

(It's a joke....  you cargo guys can laugh now....)

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: GoneAway on January 22, 2012, 08:07:02 PM
So I'm sitting here watching the football game and Steven Tyler is just destroying the national anthem.....  I'm looking forward to seeing a couple F-15's or F-16's doing their flyover and what do I see?

A cargo plane?

Seriously?  Is that where our military might really is???    >:D

(It's a joke....  you cargo guys can laugh now....)

Ya think that when it flew over (depending upon how low) that maybe some in the audience might have been a bit fearful.  Those planes make a lot of noise.  I love to spend time on the approach zone when they fly over.   BTW the plane was from the 439 Airlift Wing, know as the PATRIOT Wing.   Callsign was RODD 10 HEAVY.
RM

titanII

Quote from: GoneAway on January 22, 2012, 08:07:02 PM
So I'm sitting here watching the football game and Steven Tyler is just destroying the national anthem
;D Hey, he tries...
(lifelong Aerosmith fan)
No longer active on CAP talk

PHall

Hey, a flyover by a C-5 is plenty impressive. Especially if he's in approach configuration with the flaps/slats out and the gear down.
The added drag requires more engine power which means more noise! :clap:

cap235629

the flyover was cool. The military capability of United States is not defined by attack aircraft alone.

That being said, Steven Tyler should be shot and his ashes scattered upon the four winds for that "performance".  And before you chastise me I was born and raised in Massachusetts and I am a lifelong Aerosmith fan.............
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: PHall on January 23, 2012, 02:29:01 AM
Hey, a flyover by a C-5 is plenty impressive. Especially if he's in approach configuration with the flaps/slats out and the gear down.
The added drag requires more engine power which means more noise! :clap:
One of my "sources" indicated they flew over the stadium at 1,000 feet and also coordinated with the civilian TV station live video aircraft that were flying higher to take the video.  They also took some video/still pictures from the cockpit window while descending/approaching the stadium which was released to the local TV stations.
RM   

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on January 23, 2012, 03:52:26 AM
the flyover was cool. The military capability of United States is not defined by attack aircraft alone.

That being said, Steven Tyler should be shot and his ashes scattered upon the four winds for that "performance".  And before you chastise me I was born and raised in Massachusetts and I am a lifelong Aerosmith fan.............
If they were looking for a Massachusetts native they should used Jo Dee Messina (Holliston, MA)  See:
'The National Anthem by Jo Dee Messina at the Nashville Predators'
  Just look it up on youtube since there's a prohibition about linking.
RM

a2capt

American Air Power Rocks! Except for the 225, and they only have one .. we can move quite a bit on no-notice.

NIN

Civilian video aircraft:

View from the Fred:
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

titanII

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 23, 2012, 04:42:18 AM
Jo Dee Messina (Holliston, MA)
I'm from Holliston, and about 5 or more years ago, she came to our school. Nice lady.

bosshawk

FYI: the 49er/Giants game didn't have a fly over: it was raining and there was low ceiling.

That said, there are some on CT who, if four F-16s or F-15s had flown over, would have complained about the AF wasting taxpayers money.  Some are never happy.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

I was honestly surprised that they didn't let him have his mike stand with all the scarves  ;D

bosshawk

Perhaps they could have given him a sheet printed with the correct words.  IMHO his voice sounds like a dozen cats fighting.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

brenaud

Back to the topic of flyovers, IIRC my alma mater (Mississippi State), which while I was a student occasionally had flyovers from T-1s, T-37s, and T-38s from nearby Columbus AFB, had one by a Sopwith Camel a few years ago.  The rest of the story is that the flyby was done by the university president who was a retired USAF 4-star (Foglesong) and it was his plane.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

Woodsy

Too bad CAP can't do flyovers...  It would be great publicity to have 5 CAP planes flying over a nationally televised NFL game. 

Eclipse

CAP does flyovers all the time, you just can't have planes in formation, although that has been done on rare occasion with NHQ permission.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Woodsy on January 24, 2012, 12:09:44 AM
Too bad CAP can't do flyovers...  It would be great publicity to have 5 CAP planes flying over a nationally televised NFL game.

We flyover a lot of ground  every flight.  ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2012, 12:28:57 AM
CAP does flyovers all the time, you just can't have planes in formation, although that has been done on rare occasion with NHQ permission.

I was told in no uncertain terms that CAP can not and will not fly over a stadium.  I'm guessing it's a liability issue.

I was approached by the Jaguars and invited to do a flyover for a monday night football game next season, and had to decline after being told that by people at wing. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on January 24, 2012, 12:46:51 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2012, 12:28:57 AM

I was told in no uncertain terms that CAP can not and will not fly over a stadium.  I'm guessing it's a liability issue.

I can't dispute what you were told, but we fly over them all the time, and in some cases have done photo work during games as activities
for HLS support.  However unless we are on a mission, a lot of stadiums are no-fly zones during games, so there's that.  The USAF is never
going to approve an AFAM for a fly-over, so outside mission work there you go.

Frankly the sight of one Cessna at about 2500 feet isn't going to be the most moving spectacle, it would probably take a flag for delay of game just flying from one end of the stadium to another.

"That Others May Zoom"