Uniform Comfort in the Classroom Setting

Started by RADIOMAN015, January 09, 2012, 05:06:36 AM

rustyjeeper

Quote from: spacecommand on January 09, 2012, 09:43:43 PM
My argument isn't which uniform is appropriate but rather that somehow the aviator or blues are not comfortable for a classroom setting, which I disagree with.  Blues and whites are just as comfortable for that type of setting.  Though RM generally has some sort of other motive that we should all be wearing golf shirts no matter what.

Some people (namely me) just are not comfortable in button down dress shirts and slacks. Even with the polo I am not ever comfortable myself. I dont mind a BDU work shirt though;  and in that even with bloused boots I am always comfortable and at ease. When in the service I dreaded the days when class A's or B's were mandated. We are all volunteering our time and I dont think anyone in their right mind actually "likes" sitting thru classroom ICS training- just my opinion though some may (people are odd sometimes that way lol). I choose to avoid dress clothes like the plague- I am a field guy at heart and even in my personal life I do not wear dress attire. I had to go out and buy dress shoes and pants just for CAP use, now they are back where they belong in the closet till Wing Conference !
;D

And after having met RM I dont think he is a bad guy at all! He may have strong opinions at times- who does not? He is entitled to them as are you, I and everyone else here.... Just like us he also volunteers his time and effort to the cause and backs up his words with his actions :clap:

spacecommand

And i'm someone who's completely opposite, I'm perfectly fine wearing a dress shirt even in a 15 hour flight in economy. 

You didn't wear slacks with your polo shirt?   :o

AngelWings

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 09, 2012, 05:06:36 AM
Interstingly, it was noted this weekend at the ICS 300 course in MA that most of the attendees (and all of the instructor staff), wore the blue golf shirt with grey pants.  Some wore the blue BDU's and just a few wore the AF type uniforms.  Also a few wore the aviator/grey pants combination.  One of them changed to the Golf shirt the 2nd day.

Perhaps the Golf Shirt is just a very comfortable "uniform" for classroom settings :-\
RM   
I don't see a problem with that, in a relaxed classroom setting. If it were a formal class, with military customs and courtesies being enforced, than I would expect a professional choice of clothing that reflects well on CAP IE USAF style uniforms for those in compliance and corporate uniforms for those who are not. The same standards I would expect my fellow airmen to meet are the same I expect out of everyone, because we are an professional organization with the USAF values instilled in us. It'd make more sense to me if everyone was required to wear a standard uniform type like Blues or Aviator combo, or BDU's/BlueDU's with sleeves rolled for those hot days. If everyone had a polo shirt, sure, why not make them wear it.

titanII

Quote from: spacecommand on January 09, 2012, 09:30:11 AM
perhaps the Post Office shipped the other guy's whites to Mars instead of Massachusetts.
Happens to me all the time  ::)
;D
No longer active on CAP talk

RiverAux

Anytime CAP is holding any sort of event the appropriate uniform should be specified prior to the event so that there is no question as to what is appropriate to wear.  The activity director will be making that choice. 

Now, if a CAP member is going to a class sponsored by some other agency, it is much harder to judge what is best.  It is likely that unless it is a military class everyone else is going to be in something similar to the golf shirt uniform if it is being held in a classroom.  Personally, I would err on the side of being over-dressed and go one step above that, but that is me. 

rustyjeeper

Quote from: spacecommand on January 09, 2012, 10:20:02 PM
And i'm someone who's completely opposite, I'm perfectly fine wearing a dress shirt even in a 15 hour flight in economy. 

You didn't wear slacks with your polo shirt?   :o
Of course I did- that is the uniform!
Being 1/2 way dressed up is better than full boat LOL

rustyjeeper

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2012, 11:03:21 PM
Anytime CAP is holding any sort of event the appropriate uniform should be specified prior to the event so that there is no question as to what is appropriate to wear.  The activity director will be making that choice. 

Now, if a CAP member is going to a class sponsored by some other agency, it is much harder to judge what is best.  It is likely that unless it is a military class everyone else is going to be in something similar to the golf shirt uniform if it is being held in a classroom.  Personally, I would err on the side of being over-dressed and go one step above that, but that is me.

In this case the activity director specified that the uniform of the day (UOD) was to be CAP CCORPORATE---
erring on the side of caution day one was aviator shirt combo
and to be "safe" I brought the handy/dandy polo along; which worked out well on day two  :)

wuzafuzz

Heck, I wore civilian clothes to IC300.  It wasn't a CAP run activity, but instead was attended by a bunch of Denver area public safety types, a bunch of us CAP folks, and a few CG AUX members.  About 30 people attended and I only recall one uniform on day one.  No uniforms on the second day.

To be perfectly frank, I think most of us looked at the lone uniform and thought "what's with this guy?"

The IC400 class I attended was sponsored by CAP, but was taught by an outside agency and had plenty other groups represented.  Honestly I don't recall whether anyone wore uniforms or not.

We all got our IC groove on, regardless of clothing choice.  In fact, civilian clothes were the attire in almost every non-CAP ES class I attended in 20+ years of public safety and gov't employment.  Uniforms were for  on-duty days or training exercises, not classes.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

rustyjeeper

In the case of the MAWG/ MASAR IC300 course--
it was a CAP Course taught by CAP NHQ members in uniform.
The course was on a military installation within a CAP Squadron Classroom (thank you Westover Squadron)
Uniforms were indeed appropriate.
There were two persons not in CAP uniform and both were NG members (in addition to CAP) and this was a Drill Weekend so they were in their respective branch's training attire- now this is where someone needs to hijack the thread and change it into an AB_ discussion ( >:D)

wuzafuzz

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 12:34:10 AM
...- now this is where someone needs to hijack the thread and change it into an AB_ discussion ( >:D)
I drove to both classes in a car with ABS brakes.   >:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

rustyjeeper

Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 10, 2012, 12:47:14 AM
Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 12:34:10 AM
...- now this is where someone needs to hijack the thread and change it into an AB_ discussion ( >:D)
I drove to both classes in a car with ABS brakes.   >:D
I hope you were given the appropriate SAFETY credit, since I am sure you also reviewed the operator's manual before driving to the classes :clap:
nice comeback and save BTW

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2012, 11:03:21 PM

Well-put.  I do not think I have ever attended any CAP activity where the UOD specified "corporate."  Every one I have ever attended said something like "appropriate CAP uniform."  Occasionally our CC will say "blues or appropriate CAP equivalent" when something nicer than BDU's or flight suit is called for.  Never have I heard the golf shirt specified.

I still think this thread has much to do with RM's crusade to get CAP out of the Air Force uniform.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Woodsy

I just took the ICS 300 and 400 classes with our local EMA.  The first day of class, I wore the aviator/grey combo since I currently have some facial hair (it comes and goes) otherwise I would have wore the short sleeve blues.  The other agencies represented (local police, fire, nearby marines and coast guard, and a few others) all wore something similar.  The instructor of the course (the local fire chief) said to wear whatever we want the rest of the week, so that was the end of uniforms for everyone, with everyone except the AD military guys (who were required to be in uniform since they were technically on duty) going with jeans and T shirts.

Bottom line is I always dress up the first day of a class until I get a view of the culture of that particular class.  This is particularly important to me as a PAO, when dealing with outside agencies that may not be very familiar with CAP.  I want to make a good impression, and a uniform adds credibility for the guys that do this stuff full time. 

RiverAux

Technically you were on CAP duty as well....