Main Menu

squadron commander?

Started by shlebz, December 21, 2011, 07:43:50 PM

shlebz

how long is one member allowed to be squadron commander? is there acertain time frame allowed? or is it just until one steps down?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Eclipse

It depends on your Region.  Some have term limits, some don't.

My Region is 3 year term with a 1-year extension with good justification.  This is becoming more common but there
is no standard.

There are still some units with CC's who have held the job in excess of 20 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Wings didn't used to have limits either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SARDOC

Quote from: davidsinn on December 21, 2011, 08:27:47 PM
:o The unit was named after the sitting commander? WTF?

I had the same response.  But when you are commander for so long I guess it's okay to just name it after you and personally make it "MY" Squadron.

INS2002

I knew Lt Col Pantanelli personally. She was a major player in New York Wing cadet programs for decades. She didn't change the name of the unit. The unit membership requested it when she decided that she was going to step down.

As far as term limits, I think they can be a good thing. I know that I got burned out on more than one occassion for the 12 years that I served as a squadron commander. I was appointed squadron commander on my 21st birthday. The ironic thing is that the unit I ended up commanding was the same unit I had helped start in 1984 as a cadet and left a year later.

MSG Mac

If you look at the photo Lt Col Pantanelli has every CAP Award from the Bronze Medal of Valor down. As long as she was capable of doing the job and wanted to do it she should have been allowed to. We do make exceptions for special people including WW II members of CAP.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on December 21, 2011, 08:26:50 PM

The DEWG/CC held command for 21 years. I am thinking that was most likely the longest reign for a Wing Commander. Of course no one else can advance if you have a roadblock in the Chain of Command.

Private Investigator

Quote from: INS2002 on December 21, 2011, 09:08:06 PM
As far as term limits, I think they can be a good thing. I know that I got burned out on more than one occassion for the 12 years that I served as a squadron commander.

I agree.

I also think Commanders should be monitored better. I have seen over the years incompetent Commanders just stay on and on because no one higher up wanted to be the "bad guy" and take someone's command away. I think we all know someone who has in the past made their Unit their little kingdom.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 22, 2011, 10:34:40 AM
Quote from: INS2002 on December 21, 2011, 09:08:06 PM
As far as term limits, I think they can be a good thing. I know that I got burned out on more than one occassion for the 12 years that I served as a squadron commander.

I agree.

I also think Commanders should be monitored better. I have seen over the years incompetent Commanders just stay on and on because no one higher up wanted to be the "bad guy" and take someone's command away. I think we all know someone who has in the past made their Unit their little kingdom.

On the other hand you have units (with the same commander) that work great for many years with inspection results, activities, and retain a strong quality/quantity of members including adult staff members.

Do we really need a somewhat arbitrary rule as to how long someone should be in an adult leadership role at the squadron level ???  In Northeast Region the threat of unit disestablishment, http://www.ner.cap.gov/docs/NER_OI11-01_Subordinate_Unit_Commander_Term_Limits.pdf is a very strong incentive for someone (in a unit) to step forward, even IF they have reservations about doing the job :(   I know our squadron has been in existence over over 45 years at the same military base  -- I don't think the long term unit membership wants the unit disestablished. :( >:(   Also my understanding is wing wide, there's difficulty in getting personnel to step forward to take over adult leadership in units that have very long term commanders -- that are beyond the region policy.  So again do you close all these units, when the commanders reach their "arbitrary" maximum waiver period, and a volunteer isn't forthcoming ??? :( >:( 

Additionally, from an adult volunteer member standpoint, performing various functional tasks supporting the unit, do we really want a change every three years, dealing with different personalities, etc ???  I'm sure many can identify with the "Commander from Hell" that gets appointed and the adult staff either transfers to another unit or cut backs on active participation. :(  Also a commander may be driving 40-50 miles to command a unit; since CAP squadrons are "local" shouldn't we have a requirement that the leadership live in the normal recruiting area for the squadron ??? I think wings need to carefully monitor what is happening in units when a new commanders are put in place.

It should be interesting to see what subsequent events/results occur in this entire volunteer adult leadership challenge :-\
RM   

Spaceman3750

In the squadrons I know, the role of squadron commander is a cross that is passed from active SM to active SM - it's almost an unwritten expectation that at some point you will take up command. Most of the active members I know would or do make fine commanders, and rotating through the membership ensures that nobody gets stuck with the job for a decade because nobody else will do it and keeps everyone invested in the unit.

Private Investigator

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 22, 2011, 04:28:57 PMdo we really want a change every three years, dealing with different personalities, etc ??? 

Well yes.

ColonelJack

Quote from: SarDragon on December 21, 2011, 08:26:50 PM

Neither did regions, apparently.  Not long after I joined CAP, Col. Bill Tallent became SER CC.  He stayed there a LONG time, about 11 years, finally stepping down in 1993.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

HGjunkie

He must have been a pretty Tallented commander.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RogueLeader

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 04, 2012, 02:28:22 AM

Or nobody else wanted the job. idk.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Har-har...   8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 04, 2012, 01:24:11 AM
Neither did regions, apparently.  Not long after I joined CAP, Col. Bill Tallent became SER CC.  He stayed there a LONG time, about 11 years, finally stepping down in 1993.

Jack

Louisa Morse was the Delaware Wing Commander for 22 years.

One good reason to change Commanders, lets say you a Composite Squadron but the Commander is a gung ho ES guy but has no interest in the Cadet side of the house or even wants Cadets to do ES activities. You going to let the Cadets leave because we like our skipper, he's a good ole boy? 

Private Investigator

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2012, 03:50:46 AM

Or nobody else wanted the job. idk.

When your a good Commander, you train up the next generation of Commanders. A bad Commander will create a bad atmosphere.

JMHO and 2 cents.