Main Menu

GAWG Group Consolidation.

Started by exFlight Officer, December 19, 2011, 07:58:45 PM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 20, 2011, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 20, 2011, 03:00:17 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2011, 02:53:48 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 20, 2011, 02:49:16 AMThe rest are squadron staffers/commanders that are loaned to group. I serve at group in a position that mirrors one of my sqdn. duties.

Yeah, but I have an issue with that - I know that this is pretty common in most wings, even mine, but
doing this sets up all sorts of potentially circular reporting relationships, blurs a lot of lines, and generally means
people have two full time CAP jobs, neither of which is getting done full time.

If I was only at group I would be bored to tears. My group job only requires my complete attention twice a year. When the oride budget comes out and when the useless AE reports are due...That reminds me...

Ditto. I'm a squadron ESO and a group ESO and wouldn't transfer from my squadron for anything right now (like you said, I would be bored). If my group was more active in ES it would be one thing but right now I've taken the posture of being there as a resource for squadrons and am there to help them with their goals - not to dictate their goals, which means the onus is on them to keep me busy >:D.

As a follow-up to this, I originally thought that I couldn't do group staff "full time" and though that I would be bored.

Well, I just laid out the next three months on my calendar, and realized that I'm booking training activities into the next quarter and we're only 12 days into the year (Eclipse, before you say it, I'm simultaneously trying to build up their ES programs so that they can be self-sufficient in the future, I just don't have a lot to work with right now :) ). That, plus a seat on the local SAR council that I've got to fill, would keep me very busy for the forseeable future.

That said, I still won't transfer. I really, really enjoy the seniors that I work with at my squadron and I find CDS to be a very rewarding role. I'll just have to build up the squadron ESOs to do some schedule alleviation.

lordmonar

That is one of the things with groups...or even wings for that matter.

If it is not a full time job.....then you don't need the job!

Let's take personnel.

Now if you are a small wing like NVWG there is not really a need to have a group personnel officer taking care of the few pesonnel issues that are being sent to wing.

Operations, logistics, and communications are another matter though.

So....just because you have a group does not mean you have to mirror every position that is at wing.  Use what works.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP