dark blue grade for utility uniform

Started by CAPLAW, January 18, 2007, 04:20:26 AM

CAPLAW

I read that the dark blue grade has been authorized for the blue utility(flight suit)

Is there a place other than vanguard where it can be purchased?

Fixed topic title - MIKE

DNall

Wouldn't that be the same as USCG ODUs, or do they use pin on?

DNall

hey yeah, there you go. No picture, but it's there.

MIKE

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 04:32:28 AM

Pin on is standard... Cloth is optional.

No, Navy or CG insignia is not gonna cut it on CAP uniforms.  Sorry.
Mike Johnston

JCJ

I've bought from them and they're pretty good.  Some company in California (Quartermaster I think) also sells embroidered insignia on navy blue cloth, but they cater to Law Enforcement and I thought their insignia didn't look very good.

JCJ

Quote from: MIKE on January 18, 2007, 04:52:32 AM

Beg to differ - I have the cloth ones and they look fine.  They're identical to current (ultramarine blue background) ones except that they're on navy blue background.  That was indeed authorized about a year ago.  Metal, of course, is a no-go.

ddelaney103

Quote from: JCJ on January 18, 2007, 04:57:21 AM

Beg to differ - I have the cloth ones and they look fine.  They're identical to current (ultramarine blue background) ones except that they're on navy blue background.  That was indeed authorized about a year ago.  Metal, of course, is a no-go.

He's talking about the fact that USN/USCG embroidered grade is smaller than USA/USAF/CAP grade.  I checked the CGEX for full color on blue grade and it's noticably smaller.

afgeo4

Quote from: CAPLAW on January 18, 2007, 04:20:26 AM
I read that the dark blue grade has been authorized for the blue utility(flight suit)

Fixed topic title - MIKE
Where'd you read that?
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 18, 2007, 05:24:13 AM

He's talking about the fact that USN/USCG embroidered grade is smaller than USA/USAF/CAP grade.  I checked the CGEX for full color on blue grade and it's noticably smaller.

There are also slight variations in the design of Navy/Marine/Coast Guard rank.

Fixed quote - MIKE
Another former CAP officer

JCJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2007, 05:39:55 AM
Quote from: CAPLAW on January 18, 2007, 04:20:26 AM

Fixed topic title - MIKE
Where'd you read that?

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/Changes_to_Uniform_Manual.pdf

Item 1. e.

JCJ

The embroidered grade on navy blue background from here

http://www.1800nametape.com/navyinsignia.htm#Rank

is the exact same size and configuration as the corresponding (current) plastic flight suit grade or epaulet grade.  At least for my grade.

I don't have any relationship with them, I just like their product.

Nick

Eh... guys... I'd be very careful about using Navy/CG insignia for CAP.  For 2Lt, 1Lt, and Col you're fine... but with Capt, Maj and Lt Col, the bars or leafs are significantly different between the branches.

Just a friendly warning.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Monty

You talkin' 'bout these? 

http://www.qmuniforms.com/search.asp?SKW=CATSD_0169&CAT=Military%2FTactical.Badges%2FPatches%2FInsignia

They seem to say that you could get these on blue or back background, but either I'm not awake enough or the shopping cart doesn't give you any background option other than black.....

Other than that, these look much better (at least for our uses) from just the pictures than the NEX major (LCDR) leaves I got.... 

ddelaney103

Quote from: JCJ on January 18, 2007, 06:26:33 AM

The embroidered grade on navy blue background from here

http://www.1800nametape.com/navyinsignia.htm#Rank

is the exact same size and configuration as the corresponding (current) plastic flight suit grade or epaulet grade.  At least for my grade.

I don't have any relationship with them, I just like their product.

That's good to know.  I've used this company before, I believe.  I ordered AF skill badges in white on ultramarine blue from them, though I don't see the badges on the website.

Eclipse

Interestingly the letter says "will" which would mean "required" but there is no phase out or sundown on the light blue...

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2007, 03:10:47 PM
Interestingly the letter says "will" which would mean "required" but there is no phase out or sundown on the light blue...
Which is a mistake, but that writing means mandatory effective immediately. I think the intent was to leave it open ended till vanguard actually caught up & get it fixed as mandatory in the manual re-write that's supposedly going to get all this new stuff included.

davedove

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2007, 03:10:47 PM
Which is a mistake, but that writing means mandatory effective immediately. I think the intent was to leave it open ended till vanguard actually caught up & get it fixed as mandatory in the manual re-write that's supposedly going to get all this new stuff included.

"e. Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits. Embroidered grade insignia, as
well as the currently authorized plastic encased insignia, is now authorized on the CAP
distinctive flight suits. Ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue
NOMEX flight suit. Dark blue embroidered grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue
utility uniform and new NOMEX flight suit. The dark blue grade insignia will be available
shortly from Vanguard."

The way I read it is, the emboidered insignia is authorized.  If you choice to use it instead of the plastic encased, the colors are mandated, so no ultramarine on the dark blue uniforms.  If the statement was taken alone I can see the confusion, but when the whole paragraph is considered it makes sense.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DNall

Okay, that makes sense. My understanding is that the dark blue utility coveralls were cut or in the process & the royal blue flt suit was too.

Ultramarine is auth on green flt suit now too, and that looks a little wierd, but I'm getting used to it. Better than plastic.

Monty

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 06:04:30 PM
Okay, that makes sense. My understanding is that the dark blue utility coveralls were cut or in the process & the royal blue flt suit was too.

Ultramarine is auth on green flt suit now too, and that looks a little wierd, but I'm getting used to it. Better than plastic.

It is?  Whoa, I missed that....  Blech!  (Although I confess that I didn't look too terribly hard...)