Educational Requirements in the CAP

Started by Hardshell Clam, October 25, 2011, 06:06:40 PM

Hardshell Clam

I had a conversation ith a reservist who asked if the CAP had educational requirement to be appointed as a CP Officer?

I looked through what I have and could not find anything, so I pose this question:

Can one without a high school degree become an officer in the CAP?

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Hardshell Clam

Thanks  :clap: I was sure I ha read it but could not place where.  Good to know but you could be promoted to major, unit commander etc. with only a  GED. That is a little troublesome. :-\

tsrup

edit:

All sections cite high school education or equivalent (GED) as requirements to initial appointment.
Paramedic
hang-around.

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 06:24:23 PM
Thanks  :clap: I was sure I ha read it but could not place where.  Good to know but you could be promoted to major, unit commander etc. with only a  GED. That is a little troublesome. :-\

Theoretically you could become Maj. General/CAP national commander.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 06:35:07 PM

Theoretically you could become Maj. General/CAP national commander.

Indeed. ::)

Eclipse

Thanks  :clap: I was sure I ha read it but could not place where.  Good to know but you could be promoted to major, unit commander etc. with only a  GED. That is a little troublesome.

Why?

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2011, 06:58:05 PM
Thanks  :clap: I was sure I ha read it but could not place where.  Good to know but you could be promoted to major, unit commander etc. with only a  GED. That is a little troublesome.

Why?
I was wondering the same thing.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2011, 06:58:05 PM

Why?

I'm curious too. Some of the dumbest people I know have advanced degrees. I also know smart ones with advanced degrees. Point is formal education merely means you could endure school and check boxes.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hardshell Clam

Not going there about education, etc: "Don't wrestle in the mud with the pigs, you both get dirty and the pig likes it".

FYI: I'm not calling ANYONE a pig, I'm just not getting into THAT debate...

johnnyb47

Well you made what can basically be taken as a negative comment about some of our membership. You slung mud first. I take this one personally as I know of some high class/quality individuals who have a GED and most times it was a matter of circumstance, nothing more. Backup your comment and explain why you find someone with a GED in a leadership role in CAP troublesome or stop making arrogant, pointless posts.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 07:11:30 PM
Not going there about education, etc: "Don't wrestle in the mud with the pigs, you both get dirty and the pig likes it".

You started the thread, then you made the negative inference, then you don't want to discuss it?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hardshell Clam

FYI: I'm not calling ANYONE a pig, I'm just not getting into THAT debate...

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2011, 07:29:19 PM

You started the thread, then you made the negative inference, then you don't want to discuss it?

Sorry Eclipse, I would not dicsuss the color of the sky with you,  I prefer not to deal with you.

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 07:42:42 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 07:40:43 PM
Troll....

Now THAT is mature, resorting to name calling.

It is what it is,
This is the second thread in 24 hours where you've said something controversial and then refused to back it up.  It seems like you are just trying to incite negative response. 

Hense "Trolling"..

If I'm off base, then why don't you start contributing to the discussions you start.
Paramedic
hang-around.

SARDOC

Hardshell Clam

"It is what it is".

What was my first controversial thread?

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: SARDOC on October 25, 2011, 07:48:00 PM
[lmgtfy]Troll
[/lmgtfy]

Name calling... Really showing the spirt of our core values in the respect area... Do you have something to add?

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 08:10:31 PM
Hardshell,
Are you an NCO in CAP?

?

It's a simple question.  A Yes or No will suffice.

Could you please qualify your question's relevance to the subject matter?

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 09:04:38 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 08:10:31 PM
Hardshell,
Are you an NCO in CAP?

?

It's a simple question.  A Yes or No will suffice.

Could you please qualify your question's relevance to the subject matter?
It was either this thread or another that you responded disproportionately negatively to the subject of NCO's being brought up.  I was merely curious.
NCO's in my honest opinion deserve the utmost respect from everyone on this board.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

"It was either this thread or another that you responded disproportionately negatively to the subject of NCO's being brought up.  I was merely curious".

Fair enough answer. You are way mistaken, I have been very pro-NCO and have been called out here several times because of it. I chose to forgo the CAP officer ranks and wear my NCO chevrons as they mean more to me and were harder to obtain then my later officer bar.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: john_Bowers on October 25, 2011, 07:20:13 PM
Well you made what can basically be taken as a negative comment about some of our membership. You slung mud first. I take this one personally as I know of some high class/quality individuals who have a GED and most times it was a matter of circumstance, nothing more. Backup your comment and explain why you find someone with a GED in a leadership role in CAP troublesome or stop making arrogant, pointless posts.

I have no problems with GEDs. I have one. Went in the army at 17 during Vietnam during my SR year. Earned my GED then went on to my advanced studies on the G.I. Bill and college loans, after school work, etc.

IMHO, when you have some time under your belt, if only here on this forum, you may be qualified to determine what an "arrogant, pointless post" is.

NCRblues

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 09:33:49 PM

I have no problems with GEDs. I have one. Went in the army at 17 during Vietnam during my SR year. Earned my GED then went on to my advanced studies on the G.I. Bill and college loans, after school work, etc.

IMHO, when you have some time under your belt, if only here on this forum, you may be qualified to determine what a "arrogant, pointless post" is.

No one said life was fair...even on this forum  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

tsrup

IMHO, when you have some time under your belt, if only here on this forum, you may be qualified to determine what an "arrogant, pointless post" is.

Just saying...
You: Date Registered: July 25, 2011
John_Bowers: Date Registered: November 16, 2010, 09:26:24 AM
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

So, tsrup, you will do the research and correct your statement and show me some of that utmost respect? 

"It was either this thread or another that you responded disproportionately negatively to the subject of NCO's being brought up.  I was merely curious. NCO's in my honest opinion deserve the utmost respect from everyone on this board".   ;)

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 09:54:38 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 09:48:48 PM

Just saying...
You: Date Registered: July 25, 2011
John_Bowers: Date Registered: November 16, 2010, 09:26:24 AM

And 16 vs 99 posts... "Just saying"

quality vs. quantity..
Paramedic
hang-around.

Major Lord

Alvin York had 9 months of formal schooling prior to entering the Army, whereupon he became one of America's greatest heroes. Eddie Rickenbacker made it almost all the way through the 7th Grade, Steve Jobs quit college in his first semester. Audie Murphy never finished the 5th grade.  I would trade my Master's Degree to be half the man any of these men were.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

tsrup

So, tsrup, you will do the research and correct your statement and show me some of that utmost respect? 

"It was either this thread or another that you responded disproportionately negatively to the subject of NCO's being brought up.  I was merely curious. NCO's in my honest opinion deserve the utmost respect from everyone on this board".   ;)

How can one turn down a request like that...

Tell me, how long have you been a member of CAP?
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Major Lord on October 25, 2011, 10:05:14 PM
Alvin York had 9 months of formal schooling prior to entering the Army, whereupon he became one of America's greatest heroes. Eddie Rickenbacker made it almost all the way through the 7th Grade, Steve Jobs quit college in his first semester. Audie Murphy never finished the 5th grade.  I would trade my Master's Degree to be half the man any of these men were.

Major Lord

Indeed.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 10:11:16 PM

Not at issue here. Just check my past posts and get back to me as to your incorrect statement.

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 10:17:35 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 10:11:16 PM

Not at issue here. Just check my past posts and get back to me as to your incorrect statement.
You are talking about the relevance of experience.

I'm just trying to adequately gauge yours.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

I stand by "Not at issue here. Just check my past posts and get back to me as to your incorrect statement".

Shall I be expecting some of that "upmost respect" anytime soon? ;)

And FYI: You may even learns someting about that "adequately gauge" my experence...

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 10:21:40 PM
I stand by "Not at issue here. Just check my past posts and get back to me as to your incorrect statement".

As soon as you demonstrate your capacity to have earned it.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 10:22:49 PM

So now your statement "NCO's in my honest opinion deserve the utmost respect from everyone on this board" has special conditions is is?

tsrup

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

So now your statement "NCO's in my honest opinion deserve the utmost respect from everyone on this board" has special conditions is is?
A rank by no means defines the man. 
Your rank gave you respect, your actions lost it.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: tsrup on October 25, 2011, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

A rank by no means defines the man. 
Your rank gave you respect, your actions lost it.

So you have decided I don't deserve that respect because you don't like my posts... A tad bit two faced.

NCRblues

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC