Main Menu

Does your Unit have a PAO?

Started by Major Carrales, January 17, 2007, 06:22:16 AM

Major Carrales

The questions is simple...the answers will vary.

Does your unit have a PAO?  Do your other officers take this position seriously?

Public Affairs, in my opinion, is the life blood of the future of CAP.  Not in an abstract sense, like is being discussed in worthy threads here debating CAP senior programs, but in the most real pragmatic sense.

People are more likely to join CAP if they have heard about it.  The Public Affairs Officer is the first line in that fight.  Followed closely by the Recruiting/Retention Officer who follows up one the "hook gets a bite" then the unit that preforms the missions and administers the program thus "reeling them in."

Comments?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 06:22:16 AM

Does your unit have a PAO?  Do your other officers take this position seriously?

Public Affairs, in my opinion, is the life blood of the future of CAP.  Not in an abstract sense, like is being discussed in worthy threads here debating CAP senior programs, but in the most real pragmatic sense.

People are more likely to join CAP if they have heard about it.  The Public Affairs Officer is the first line in that fight.  Followed closely by the Recruiting/Retention Officer who follows up one the "hook gets a bite" then the unit that preforms the missions and administers the program thus "reeling them in."

Comments?

Yes, and he actually knows how to write, unlike other folks I've seen here and elsewhere. (Not saying all the PAOs on here don't have writing skills, just a few.) Our other officers actively support him.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 06:45:01 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 06:22:16 AM

Comments?

Yes, and he actually knows how to write, unlike other folks I've seen here and elsewhere. (Not saying all the PAOs on here don't have writing skills, just a few.) Our other officers actively support him.

Good job...PAOs are people as well.  They make errors and are subject to growth.  If one lacks in a skill, sometimes support from the unit is just what it takes.

I take offense to persons who would say that the PAO is an ancillary position.  Yet, it is not in the same league as the FLYING or ES or CADET Programs...but it is like the blood is to skeleton.  Each is a vital part of the body but in a different important way.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

I started back in CAP a year ago.. took a 6 month leave while I relocated and changed careers..  But I am the Sqd'n PAO and take it seriously. Been back at it again since late summer when I finally got into my home after living in a motel for 60 days and having no home for nearly 90 days.. ugh..

OK my POA stuff.... I have been starting from scratch.. ie.. nada base...

I've built a web presence, I've been contacting local press on a monthly basis, got link echanges with other sites in our area like air museums, historical societies...etc..

Our weekly squad'n events appears each week in the local newspaper (Local happenings section).. gratis..

Anything that happens, I send out a press release.

Next on the build list... to tackle is the squad'n newsletter, I am posting online right now, but I am hoping to invlove the cadets in writing for it, as I refuse to write the whole thing myself <GRIN>

I am thinking that I would like to hold POA seminars.. my specialties include photography (23+ Years pro), Newsletter/ paper layout and publishing (20+ years), and web design (I was on the web before it WAS the web!!!)

I am also working on building contacts, send news letters and do presentations to the local military, VFW, etc... Where as we can also offer our Colour Guard to them as needed etc...

I am also setting up a speakers bureau, and making schools and other organizations aware of our cadets, colour Gaurd, etc...

It's a long journey building something from nothing.

Most of the CAP training materials for POA are pretty lightweight, most of what I do is pulled from experience, glomming from others and my own common sense. The Airforce course is an example of poor quality, and out dated.  In other words POA takes the back seat.. and you wonder why people say "CAP ???  What the heck is that?"

As I say.. CAP says they are the best kept secret.. Well the proper way to keep a secret is to NOT talk...

So start talking CAP!!!  BTW great article this AM on CAP in DC..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16660845/

I also use a clipping service to keep track of articles on CAP, and incorporate them in releases to the press...

DNall

No & no they aren't taken seriously, and that's a terrible thing. I agree with you 100% that it's a critical position, but I just don't have the manpower & certainly not someone I'd trust in the job w/o at least some serious training, and honestly I don't have anything I want people to come see yet. I'm busy fixing the unit as it is now. THEN, when I have it squared away I want to stream in more people, and that will start with a PAO making us more visable. I just don't have time to cover everything right now.

Dragoon

A couple things learned from experience

1.  A bad PAO is much worse than having none at all.  By "Bad" I don't mean "doesn't do anything" but rather "says stupid stuff in public or otherwise embarrasses us."

2.  For some reason, some folks with limited social skills (but big dreams) want to be the PAO.  See #1 above.

3.  PAOs have to be careful not to "oversell."  If the PAO makes you look too good, then your new recruits and customers he brings in are bound to be disappointed.

4.  PAOs are useful at the unit level  if you are trying to increase membership or gain more links to the community.  If these aren't your problems, just coordinating with the Group or Wing PAO will probably suffice.  Of course, for must of us, those ARE our problems...

Major Carrales

Interesting an valid point Dragoon.  If I may reflect a bit on them point by point.

Quote1.  A bad PAO is much worse than having none at all.  By "Bad" I don't mean "doesn't do anything" but rather "says stupid stuff in public or otherwise embarrasses us."

This is often the situation with a new PAO, the cure for that is training.  Many times non-pilots are shoved into that position.  Back in 1999 I was thrust into the position since I could not penetrate the "inner circle of pilots" that were biased to non-pilots.  When the 60 series regs and training changed...they left like rats off the Titanic.

I learned for that that a PAO needed to be in on everything and explained it all.  If one alienates the PAO and the PAO reports falsehood because of it...who can be blamed?  EVERYONE involved!!!

Quote2.  For some reason, some folks with limited social skills (but big dreams) want to be the PAO.  See #1 above.

Again, a person who is PAO should seek help.  I went to several local journalists for advice and hit many of the book hard.  I still, even after all these years, have a long way to go.

Quote3.  PAOs have to be careful not to "oversell."  If the PAO makes you look too good, then your new recruits and customers he brings in are bound to be disappointed.

I totally agree.  When someone comes to our group or a story is run about the unit I report  it honestly.  People are not give any "false hopes."  I do tell them they can help to make the unit whatever they desire it to be...within the regs.

Quote4.  PAOs are useful at the unit level  if you are trying to increase membership or gain more links to the community.  If these aren't your problems, just coordinating with the Group or Wing PAO will probably suffice.  Of course, for must of us, those ARE our problems...

Every unit needs it own PAO, the GROUP PAO is there to offer support as all GROUP LEVEL officers are.  Every unit should be "growing" as well...STAGNATION is DEATH.  One key way to keep things going is to have a perpetual cycle of training.  The more of us In a unit...the easier it is to get things done.  Once CAP is no long enjoyable because of stress and additional burdens often found in small stagnant units, it's time to pull back.  Too many of us have burned out because of "DOING IT ALL."  Share the wealth...let others help you.  If there are no others, you need to recruit.  Regular stories in local papers are key to that. 

Plus, the Group PAO cannot be held responsible for running stories in your local papers (external) and informing the unit's Officers and Cadets of recent happenings (internal)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

In my vicinity only about half the squadrons have PAOs and only about a quarter of squadrons have one that is really functioning. 

Pumbaa

As I have been thinking about this...  It seems that Squad'n POA's work in a vaccume.  Sure there are some sites offering some old POA materials, and a few seminars hither and yon.

But is there really a good network of POA's?  Materials and such that can be exchanged or worked on together?

Other than the local slant, POA's share a common message and should work together to get that message out.

CAP428

I am the cadet assistant PAO to our squadron's PAO.  Yes, I take it seriously.  I am in the works of creating recruiting videos, a podcast, and poster/flyers.

Dragoon

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 04:10:06 PM
Every unit needs it own PAO, the GROUP PAO is there to offer support as all GROUP LEVEL officers are.  Every unit should be "growing" as well...STAGNATION is DEATH. 

This is where I'd have to disagree. I have been lucky on occasion to have been in units with adequate forces on hand to accomplish all assigned missions.  Focusing on growth would have been a distraction.  Instead, we focused on training - getting better.  That gave us a reputation that (1) helped retention a LOT and (2) made it easy to get new folks if we need them - because folks want to be on a winning team.

I would argue (to tie a few threads together) that CAP's focus on GROWTH at all costs may have resulted in lower standards, reducing professionalism AND hurting retention.  But that dues money can be pretty addictive.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Dragoon on January 18, 2007, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 04:10:06 PM
Every unit needs it own PAO, the GROUP PAO is there to offer support as all GROUP LEVEL officers are.  Every unit should be "growing" as well...STAGNATION is DEATH. 

This is where I'd have to disagree. I have been lucky on occasion to have been in units with adequate forces on hand to accomplish all assigned missions.  Focusing on growth would have been a distraction.  Instead, we focused on training - getting better.  That gave us a reputation that (1) helped retention a LOT and (2) made it easy to get new folks if we need them - because folks want to be on a winning team.

I would argue (to tie a few threads together) that CAP's focus on GROWTH at all costs may have resulted in lower standards, reducing professionalism AND hurting retention.  But that dues money can be pretty addictive.

You misunderstand, friend, training is growth.  Growth is not limited to mere numbers.  It is a progression of all levels and indicators.  Every unit shoudl be growing...expanding, doing new things.  A unit whose meeting consists of five to seven people sitting around a table exchanging stories of the "good ole days" or "playing private exclusive flighing club" is doomed already.

So could say that a regular influx of a few new people for a prepetual training cycle woudl force a level of this sort of growth.

I can see your point if you are talking growing numbers at all costs, but growth of the unit as a functional tool of the nation is altogehter a different matter.

Every unit does need a PAO or someone sunctioning in that roll. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

acarlson

I've been PAO for my sqdn for 2 years now..  ans wow... a couple photos and articles that get published and it seem you walk on water! ...  just get their names spelled right!

Yes I take it seriously...  and I have fun doing it...  I've been doing marketing for engineers and construction managers for 16 years ... the same marketing stuff as CAP, in that I'm marketing people... and the professional services they provide.

I'm focused on recruiting 3 or 4 marketing and/or public relations people from my professional network (not necessarily pilots)... to split up the PAO functions... it's a massive job that many hands...  preferably with some experience... can make very light work... and we can all walk on water!
;D
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

AlaskanCFI

My lovely bride (ex-Army 13years and Ex-Airguard) was our PAO.  The good old boy system got to her.   Plus some anti-military remarks from within our squadron while we were trying to drum up some cadets. (we had two kids deployed to the sandbox at the time)...
So she resigned from the CAP and we are still without a real PAO.

It is a real must for a progressive squadron or wing.

It is a big pain in the elevators if you are in a little 15-20 person squadron where only 5-8 people show up at any one time...
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

arajca

My unit is changing commanders. We don't have a PAO now, but we are looking at getting a cadet to be our PAO, since the only seniors wearing fewer than three hats are on leave to attend the police academy, deployed, or are paper members.

flyguy06

Evryone in the unit should be a PAO. Everywhere you go, you represent CAP and should talk it up as much as possible. That means you should really know your stuff and dress appropriately.

arajca

True, but the PAO does a lot more than just "talk it up." It's also like saying everyone should be a PDO because it's your responsibility to make sure the PD stuff is done, and everyone is a recruiter, etc.

There is a reason that specific people have specific titles and duties.

RiverAux

QuoteEvryone in the unit should be a PAO. Everywhere you go, you represent CAP and should talk it up as much as possible.

Not really.  There are people you don't really want being your public face for one reason or another. 

CAP428

Quote from: arajca on February 04, 2007, 10:13:47 PM
My unit is changing commanders. We don't have a PAO now, but we are looking at getting a cadet to be our PAO, since the only seniors wearing fewer than three hats are on leave to attend the police academy, deployed, or are paper members.

BTW a cadet cannot serve as a Public Affairs Officer.  They can, however serve as assistants to PAOs and perform many PAO duties.

Quote from: CAPM 52-16
(2) Advanced Positions. Cadets may not serve in any of the senior member staff positions listed in CAPR 20-1, but they may serve as assistants to those senior staff officers. Phase I and II cadets who serve as staff assistants may not use that service to fulfill the staff duty analysis requirements of Phases III and IV.
with emphasis added.

However, I will say that I myself am a cadet assistant PAO, and though you technically can't be the PAO, you pretty much do the same thing as the PAO him/herself, so I get what you mean, arajca.

So you will actually need a senior member to accept the title of "PAO" but then you can pretty much just let the cadet run most of the duties necessary.

Don't you like bending regs? ;D