Civil Air Patrol Members Registering for The Selective Service System

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 18, 2011, 11:15:57 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Daniel L on September 19, 2011, 03:55:25 AM
I just recently turned 18.

Although I registered when I was 17 1/2. That form was sooooo short.. I was like "Is that it?" I don't know why anyone wouldn't register..

Because it's not emphasized in school, and the kids just don't know.

JC004

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 03:52:09 AM
Quote from: JC004 on September 19, 2011, 03:47:12 AM
It is on federal job applications because you can't get a federal job if you are not in compliance with this law. 

I don't know that CAP really needs to be involved with the application process.  Compliance is good already.  Maybe cadets can get a friendly e-mail reminder or something when they're almost to their 18th birthday because it could haunt their lives if they don't.

I'm actually surprised how BAD the reminders are. IIRC, you could register online 3 months before turning 18. I tried, and the system didn't have ANY information on me. :(

I was finally able to get it done 3 months AFTER turning 18.

I had friends who did not have it done, AND got to vote in the 2008 election with out it. In fact, some of those friends, STILL don't have the card...even having voted and changed driver's licenses.

What does voting have to do with it?

AirDX

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 03:52:09 AM
I had friends who did not have it done, AND got to vote in the 2008 election with out it. In fact, some of those friends, STILL don't have the card...even having voted and changed driver's licenses.

Voting and driver's licenses are state functions, selective service registration is federal.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SarDragon

Registered 1966; 28 20 49 NNN.

First lottery number - 365

Now 4-A, since 1973?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

WIWOAD, I started getting notices that I had to register, I just threw them away since I had already been in the Navy for 4 or 5 years.  I figured:   "What are they gonna do?  Draft me?"  Finally I got one that said the FBI would be coming for me, so I Xeroxed my military ID card and mailed it to them.  Two or three rounds of them mailing threats and me mailing back a copy of my ID card it finally stopped.  I guess someone finally figured it out.  Your government at work...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2011, 03:28:19 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 19, 2011, 03:14:05 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2011, 01:20:27 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 19, 2011, 12:23:00 AM
And what, exactly, would that checkbox say?
Have you registered for selective service?

Or something similar.  I've seen it on many employment applications over the years.
And what of those who have never registered, and were never required (or even able) to register?
Well, if they haven't registered and are required to do so we tell them to come back when they are.  If they aren't then a simple
"not applicable" box could be provided.  Keep in mind that if they are required to register and they haven't then they've broken the law and given this law's relevance to the military services that CAP supports, I think it is a reasonable thing to address.  I think that at least at one time this was a standard question on federal job applications, but its been a while since I've filled one out (it may have been on the paperwork you fill out after being hired).
OK...over half of your potential membership base is "N/A".  That's every female out there plus people like me...I came to the US at age 34 in temporary status (not required to register, even if I had been in the age bracket), became a lawful permanent resident at age 38.

They DO ask on the application for naturalization, but it seems it's a pretty minor issue to USCIS if you did not:
QuoteIf you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:

A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888) for more information.

RiverAux

Without a doubt this isn't anything critical, but would be more so if we were actually drafting people.  I could also see where CAP would have some interest in knowing how many of its members were subject to the draft as that could have some operational readiness issues, but could also be fairly easily estimated using demographic data already in eservices. 

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on September 19, 2011, 12:28:14 PM
Without a doubt this isn't anything critical, but would be more so if we were actually drafting people.  I could also see where CAP would have some interest in knowing how many of its members were subject to the draft as that could have some operational readiness issues, but could also be fairly easily estimated using demographic data already in eservices.
select
MonthsOld=DATEDIFF(M,Birthday,GETDATE())
,*
from
(

select
Birthday = cast(right(left (DOB,len (dob)-1),len(dob)-2) as datetime),*
from member
) a
where
DATEDIFF(M,Birthday,GETDATE()) between 216 and 312
and
gender = '"MALE"'
and
Citizen <> '"WAIVERED"'

JeffDG

It would be much simpler, but my script to import CAPWATCH puts quotes in all the fields that need to be stripped before calculating date stuff!

SARDOC

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 04:02:46 AM

Actually My School called in students during their Birth Month and registered you in school.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on September 19, 2011, 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 04:02:46 AM

Actually My School called in students during their Birth Month and registered you in school.

Man I bet they got some "fun" telephone calls...

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

IIRC, the big reminder is that you can't get federal student aid if you aren't registered.  I remember the guidance department had a poster in front of the office, and ads on the radio around college hunting season... way back in 1998/99.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on September 19, 2011, 02:08:46 PM
IIRC, the big reminder is that you can't get federal student aid if you aren't registered.  I remember the guidance department had a poster in front of the office, and ads on the radio around college hunting season... way back in 1998/99.

Still says that now, and it doesn't stop anyone from getting aid.

I don't know about other states, but I believe the question regarding the status shows up at both the DMV and Voter Registration card.

JC004

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 19, 2011, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: MIKE on September 19, 2011, 02:08:46 PM

Still says that now, and it doesn't stop anyone from getting aid.

I don't know about other states, but I believe the question regarding the status shows up at both the DMV and Voter Registration card.

This is not true.  If you tell them you are registered, and they verify and find out, you will have trouble.  Department of Education and Selective Service System do check.  The reason people who weren't previously registered can get everything processed smoothly is because you can have Department of Education register you on your behalf.  Many people are registered through agreements with Department of Education and with states.

You do not want to tell people that they will be fine getting whatever without complying with the law.  Federal benefits are tied to this, but also an increasing number of state AND LOCAL benefits.

lordmonar

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 19, 2011, 11:49:01 AM
WIWOAD, I started getting notices that I had to register, I just threw them away since I had already been in the Navy for 4 or 5 years.  I figured:   "What are they gonna do?  Draft me?"  Finally I got one that said the FBI would be coming for me, so I Xeroxed my military ID card and mailed it to them.  Two or three rounds of them mailing threats and me mailing back a copy of my ID card it finally stopped.  I guess someone finally figured it out.  Your government at work...
And if you had simply gone to the post office and filled out the card....then you would have saved everyone a lot of time. :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: lordmonar on September 19, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
And if you had simply gone to the post office and filled out the card....then you would have saved everyone a lot of time. :)

Or they could have checked their mailing list against the DOD payroll...

The letters they sent didn't have a check box for already serving and IIRC the fine print said if you were already serving you were exempt, and as I said, they couldn't draft me...  I thought it was just junk mail they were sending to everyone at the time.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 19, 2011, 05:14:51 PM

The letters they sent didn't have a check box for already serving and IIRC the fine print said if you were already serving you were exempt, and as I said, they couldn't draft me...  I thought it was just junk mail they were sending to everyone at the time.
Would have been interesting to go to your CO and say "Sir, I need to get off the ship, I've been drafted into the Army."

JC004

Our IT capabilities have vastly improved and there is a lot of information that goes into the system now.  The system also feeds the services' mailing lists.

lordmonar

Well....now you run into the Privacy Act and other Government Bureaucracy.........they can't share that information.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

In the mid 80's, I don't remember anything about selective service and school with regards to budgets. What I do remember is them calling it a "federal survey card" and they were adamant about them. To the point of denying report cards, grades at the end of the semester, aside from the usual threats of no extracurricular activity participation.

As for SS, they just reminded people about it, like registering to vote, to those who were in the area of 18 and still in school.