Why the Astro Saber is my choice for standard CAP radio

Started by Buzz, September 07, 2011, 04:36:33 PM

sardak

QuoteA more thorough search of Part 47 would probably help define mobile, also. Both FCC and NTIA rules and regs fall under 47CFR (not quite - the FCC regs refer to an NTIA website).

OK, so it appears to me that attaching an external antenna to a portable device makes it a mobile device, subject to the rules pertaining thereto. Discuss.
Caveat for discussion - this information pertains to FCC Part 90, Private Land Mobile Service, which includes Public Safety licensees. The EFJ 5100 series radios are authorized under Part 90 for non-federal agency users. CAP is a federal agency and falls under NTIA, not FCC. However, if CAP was a non-federal user, our uses for radios would fall under Part 90 (and some wings have or had licenses under Part 90).

§ 90.7   Definitions.

-- Mobile service. A service of radiocommunication between mobile and base stations, or between mobile stations.
-- Mobile station. A station in the mobile service intended to be used while in motion or during halts at unspecified points. This includes hand carried transmitters.
http://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=20454&switch=P

Publication Number: 951136    Rule Parts: 90    Publication Date: 03/23/2007
Keyword: Alternative antenna requirements for Part 90 devices
First Category:    Radio Service Rules
Second Category:    Portable - Part 2.1093

Question: Does changing the antenna for a device authorized under part 90 of the rules require a new application?

Answer: The rules governing permissive changes to equipment subject to Certification are contained in Section 2.1043.  A new application for Certification does not need to be filed when changing the antenna on a Part 90 device.  Please note the need for RF exposure analysis with a new/different antenna.  See Section 2.1091 (mobile), 2.1093 (portable).

As for amplifiers
From the FCC "AMPLIFIER, BOOSTER, AND REPEATER - BASIC ITEMS" reminder sheet:  http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=20762

90.219 – "Licensees authorized to operate radio systems in the frequency bands above 150 MHz may employ signal boosters at fixed locations ..."

90.7 "Mobile repeater station. A mobile station authorized to retransmit automatically on a mobile service frequency, communications to or from hand-carried transmitters."

90.7 "Signal booster. A device at a fixed location which automatically receives, amplifies, and retransmits on a one-way or two-way basis, the signals received from base, fixed, mobile, and portable stations, with no change in frequency or authorized bandwidth.

The FCC Permissive Changes publication (which addresses antennas and amplifiers)  http://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=36662

-- Antenna changes may be made without an authorization request, if adherence to the grant conditions for RFx compliance and applicable maximum ERP/EIRP rules is observed.

-- A transmitter with and without an external amplifier may be authorized under one FCC ID, if approved in the original authorization. Adding an external amplifier is not allowed with a permissive change. A new equipment authorization application with a new FCC ID is required to add an external amplifier.

Mike

Buzz

Quote from: SarDragon on December 12, 2011, 10:55:11 PM
OK, so it appears to me that attaching an external antenna to a portable device makes it a mobile device, subject to the rules pertaining thereto.

Discuss.

Wow, gone for a while, come back and this is still running!

To answer the apparent question, NO, a portable radio hooked up to a fixed antenna is still a portable radio.  A portable radio hooked up to an external device of any kind is still a portable radio.

This gets a little gray when you use an external output power amplifier -- technically, the portable becomes the exciter for the PA -- but any PA approved for a particular portable (for instance, if you have the Motorola PA that's designed to work with the Astro Vehicular Adapter), the Feds (including NTIA) consider it to still be a portable radio. 

Buzz

Sardak:

A couple of points.  First, these rules are not all-inclusive.  For instance, the California Highway Patrol uses repeaters extensively, and they operate in the low VHF band, though the rule you cited only covers VHF high and up. 

Second, the rule considers a portable radio to be a mobile radio, while the other rule you cited gives a specific definition for a portable radio.

This is the problem with regulations (Federal regs especially) -- over decades, they get refined, re-interpreted and just plain mixed up.  Every administration seems to feel the need to fingerprint everything, and they don't care what a mess they are making, because that just gives the next administration something that THEY can fingerprint, as they try to re-adjust the re-adjustment.

There are always two kinds of person reading regulations.  One type is looking for guidance on how to do things, and the other is looking for reasons that things can't be done. 

LIGCommsOfficer

Does anyone know where I can find a weatherproof, rugged carrying case for the Astro Saber III? Members of my Group and I have purchased six of these for CAP use. The only carrying cases I see on the market - either from Motorola or third party companys is the leather holster - which leaves the top half of the radio exposed to damage in bad weather, or when working on a ground team in rough terrain. I'd like something with a protective flap that opens to enable access to the top controls and keypad.
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

stillamarine

Are they not weather proof? I can't count how many times I've been in the rain working a wreck or something and have never had a problem out of my Motorola 5000. But of course its newer.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Cowthief

Hello.

I have carefully read all of the FCC and NTIA rules.
First off, CAP operates under 150 MHz, so the FCC rules do not apply.
Second, an amplifier must be certified under part 90 to meet part 90 requirements.
Motorola has certified the Sabre and Astro Sabre as meeting the FCC and NTIA requirements with or without a Convertacom, the drop-in charger and external antenna/speaker/mic adapter.
There is NO issue on the use of an external antenna.
There is NO such thing as an approved antenna, mobile or portable.
Even the FAA is not that picky for general aviation.
To answer this is real easy, ask what is the approved antenna for an xxxx radio? no such rule.
As far as amplifiers go, the Astro Sabre can do digital and with some firmware update P-25.
Very few amplifiers can deal with a digital signal that were not produced to deal with a digital signal.
To do otherwise may produce all sorts of RF noise.
But, a convertacom with an amplifier that is approved for digital can be used on CAP frequencies.
What you need to do is contact Motorola government products group and have them provide you with the correct documents and decals.
This is a free service that Motorola provides.
They do this to hopefully sell more radios.