Combining the RED SERVICE, MEMBERSHIP and CURRY RIBBON (not a uniform thread)

Started by Major Carrales, January 12, 2007, 08:28:56 PM

Major Carrales

Combining the RED SERVICE, MEMBERSHIP and CURRY RIBBON

This contrary to the post's title is not really a unifrom thread in that the greater issue is to be the membership mechanics behind it.  There has been lots of talk all over the web about the LEVEL I and CAP entry program.  There has also been talk about the so called frivelous awarding of ribbons.

Note: The idea of a Level I should be universal to Cadets and Seniors albiet with different criteria.  I am going to work this into the framework of a revised CAP program based on teh ideas I have had for my vision of the CAP Rank Structure (Including Warrant Officers for Squadron Level CAP officers that concentrate on unit program implementation instead of command, NCOs that serve as a stablizing advisory position and CAP officers form Command and staff fuction at the squadron and high HQ.  This however would apply in any system with adjustments.

Let us assume that we wanted to tighten up the entry process.  My imediate solution would be to make SLS (for SENIORS) and an ALS (for cadets) a CAP LEVEL I requirement (that pretty much sets up the FOUNDATIONS portion and a real CPPT segment could be incorporated) before any promotion coudl occur.  This would standardize Level I and Curry across CAP.

Thsi is precedented with how we maintain the criteria for GES.  Cadets and Seniors can bopth become GES qualified, but a senior needs Level I and a cadet need the Curry.

This is how it woudl be reflected in the now universal membership ribbon...

A CADET or SENIOR woudl have to complete a basic critera for the new CAP MEMBERSHIP ribbon including all of or some of the following criteria. 

1) Be screened (senior) and pay dues
2) attend a weekend long SLS for seniors and ALS for cadets (a precent for the cadets exists aleady in the TEXAS WING CTEP program where an ALS is held where a cadet finishes and graduates with a CURRY.  Finishing the weekend program would earn a senior membership via a certificate and the cadet a Curry via a certficate.
3) Time-in-grade (RED SERVICE) of Six months to a year would be one of unit level training (SPEC TRACK)  Onec this "to be determined time" is meet the member woudl be eligible for the CAP Membership Ribbon which would serve in the same fashion as a RED SERVICE.  Seniors would wear a bronze star on the RED SERVICE ribbon to denote thei status as SENIORS cadets would go bear until they both reached five years.  At that time it woudl be devices as it is currently done on teh RED service.

During the SLS a Senior would chose their "rank track."   NCOs with military background woudl take the route, those that seek to serve on the squadron level the WO route and those with desire to advance as an officer woudl chose their route.  The WO knowing full well that this limits their advancement up the chain, also with the knowledge they they would have to become officers if they wished to command.

NCOs woudl begin running their track under an NCO directorate made up of a Group/WING NCO, Region and National NCO. It woudl function as our Chaplaincy works.  They would be advisors and the pillars to return CAP to military bearing.  If a unti has non, well, they don't have one.  Life goes on.  Tehy woudl go to some sort of CAP NCO orientation to transition their skills to CAP life.

Those becoming Warrant Officers would become experts in their fields and attend a school for their spec track (like CTEP for Cadet Programs in TEXAS, or a PAO workshop or the like)  If they are pilots then their CAP pilot work (form 5 et al, coudl substitute)

Sicne these will be instruments of teh squadron level that would be their focus and they would take squadron staff positions.  If they assume command of a Flight or Squadron or move up to Group Level they would have to take an officer position based on their WO grade which would be established by a professional development track.

Officers would attend a OTS as many have suggest here and be "appointed CAP OFFICERS" by National HQ.  Two years as a Squadron Commander might  waive the OTS for a WO...(gasp)

On second thought...let's leave it as it is!!! ;D

This is partially satire of what we have been doing here since NEW YEARS!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 12, 2007, 08:28:56 PM
What you mean challenging each other to make CAP better, rather than sticking our heads in the sand, saying the only thing that matters is what happens at the Sq level, and you're not a good officer if you take your frustration with the absolute crap they give us to work with & talk about how to change it, try to build grassroots support that gives Congress, AF, Nat CC down to your wing CC the cover they need to make those proposals against oposition that says they represent the members when they talk about things we all hate. Well, satire away if you must, but I'd hope you can respect the efforts of less cynical officers trying to change things for the better.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on January 12, 2007, 10:30:36 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 12, 2007, 08:28:56 PM
What you mean challenging each other to make CAP better, rather than sticking our heads in the sand, saying the only thing that matters is what happens at the Sq level, and you're not a good officer if you take your frustration with the absolute crap they give us to work with & talk about how to change it, try to build grassroots support that gives Congress, AF, Nat CC down to your wing CC the cover they need to make those proposals against oposition that says they represent the members when they talk about things we all hate. Well, satire away if you must, but I'd hope you can respect the efforts of less cynical officers trying to change things for the better.

Man...what a killjoy! ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on January 12, 2007, 10:30:36 PMWell, satire away if you must, but I'd hope you can respect the efforts of less cynical officers trying to change things for the better.

Yeah!  Time well spent!

I can't wait for the NEW CAP!

oh wait...you were serious?...Nevermind.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2007, 02:06:27 AM
Quote from: DNall on January 12, 2007, 10:30:36 PMWell, satire away if you must, but I'd hope you can respect the efforts of less cynical officers trying to change things for the better.

Yeah!  Time well spent!

I can't wait for the NEW CAP!

oh wait...you were serious?...Nevermind.
Again with the cynics. Nothing ever got changed by waiting around for someone else to do it for you. You want to focus on your local problems & think this bog picture discussion going on is a waste of your time, then ignore away, but I don't think you need to be criticizing. AF officers to business executives are challenged regularly to think strategically & lobby for positive change in their organizations. That's one of the difference between being an officer versus an NCO.