Main Menu

Ribbon Rack?

Started by James Shaw, January 09, 2007, 07:38:21 PM

Monty

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 10, 2007, 04:08:56 PM
ARRGGHH!  My eyes!   I've been blinded by the bling!   :D :D :D

I know....see what I mean?  Now who needs to show all that crap off except for the once-in-a-blue-moon event?   ;D

Besides....it's actually more fun to leave off stuff on uniforms (or dare I say, go by polo) and watch all the folks who have NO idea about your own record to start spouting off because with my babyface and no bling, I MUST be an idiot.

One time, I sat there and listened to some newly-returned from BMT airman tell me all about the AF, based upon his *extensive* 7 week career.  I listened intently and let him "correct" me on some of the things I claimed that I'd heard "one way or another"...and never once hinted about all the things I'd done.  (After all, it was his "show" and I've no ego to bruise.)  Drives my wife crazy when she sees me do that.  "Why don't you tell people about what you've done?"

I always reply the same way..."perhaps that airman wouldn't have felt as excited about his new-found career if he knew he was talking to a former "enlisted-to-commissioning" guy.  Let him enjoy himself.  Him's wants tuh be a big boy."  :D

I see that on these forums all the time, what with the folks that are seemingly stuck on themselves.  I usually let 'em run...it's so precious to see 'em be the big shot.  Probably makes 'em feel better too.

Oh yeah, long story short - stick yo bling on yo service dress and forget the rest.  Let people show you their true colors...which is arguably worth more than any bling can tell you about 'em!  :)

Hawk200

Quote from: msmjr2003 on January 10, 2007, 04:31:37 PM
One time, I sat there and listened to some newly-returned from BMT airman tell me all about the AF, based upon his *extensive* 7 week career.  I listened intently and let him "correct" me on some of the things I claimed that I'd heard "one way or another"...and never once hinted about all the things I'd done.  (After all, it was his "show" and I've no ego to bruise.)  Drives my wife crazy when she sees me do that.  "Why don't you tell people about what you've done?"

It's even more fun with cadets that do the same thing.... :)

Monty

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 10, 2007, 04:39:11 PM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on January 10, 2007, 04:31:37 PM

It's even more fun with cadets that do the same thing.... :)

Yeah, I know what you mean.....but I MUCH prefer to see seniors (who I assume - we know what THAT means) that do it.

Speaks volumes.

Hawk200

Quote from: msmjr2003 on January 10, 2007, 04:42:10 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean.....but I MUCH prefer to see seniors (who I assume - we know what THAT means) that do it.

Speaks volumes.

Good point.

JohnKachenmeister

I like to listen to people tell me about Vietnam, but then when I ask them about who, in their unit, took care of sale of postage stamps?  Was it an officer or the company mail clerk?  They always seem to have an answer.

(Note to combat virgins:  Mail is free from war zones.  You write the word "Free" in the corner where the stamp would go.  There are no stamps.)
Another former CAP officer

Chief Chiafos

The military custom of ribbon wear is not to impress, although it does have that effect.  It is your biography: where you have served, what your qualified to do, what campaigns you fought in, single acts of bravery, rendering an outstanding service or duty, wounds received, etc.  I can learn more about a soldier's service by looking at the ribbon rack, than I can in two hours of conversation.

In the Air Force there are two modes of thought on wearing ribbons on the blue shirt.  Many will wear the shirt in "office dress" that is qualification badges only.  Other commanders may direct the wear of ribbons for jobs of high visibility or contact with the public.  Ribbons ought to be worn on the blue shirt, when it is the uniform of the day, and a ceremonial or formal military function will be attended.

Every time I hear the word "bling" I cringe, what a dishonorable word to describe the visible evidence of Duty, Honor, Country, and sacrifice.  I knew a Senior Master Sergeant that had 28 ribbons:  In Vietnam he flew 137 combat missions, rescued 23 pilots from behind enemy lines, was wounded 5 times, and had three helicopters shot out from under him - "bling"?

aveighter

Well said Chief.

Hand Salute!

Major_Chuck

The timeless words of Monty Python can be used in response to the 'bling'.

Run a way!  Runaway!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 10, 2007, 11:44:30 PM
The military custom of ribbon wear is not to impress, although it does have that effect.  It is your biography: where you have served, what your qualified to do, what campaigns you fought in, single acts of bravery, rendering an outstanding service or duty, wounds received, etc.  I can learn more about a soldier's service by looking at the ribbon rack, than I can in two hours of conversation.

In the Air Force there are two modes of thought on wearing ribbons on the blue shirt.  Many will wear the shirt in "office dress" that is qualification badges only.  Other commanders may direct the wear of ribbons for jobs of high visibility or contact with the public.  Ribbons ought to be worn on the blue shirt, when it is the uniform of the day, and a ceremonial or formal military function will be attended.

Every time I hear the word "bling" I cringe, what a dishonorable word to describe the visible evidence of Duty, Honor, Country, and sacrifice.  I knew a Senior Master Sergeant that had 28 ribbons:  In Vietnam he flew 137 combat missions, rescued 23 pilots from behind enemy lines, was wounded 5 times, and had three helicopters shot out from under him - "bling"?

True for military ribbons, but in our case the vast majority of our ribbons only denote a level of training or participation while a handful actually have value or meaning.  Thus, we have bling.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

DNall

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 11, 2007, 03:22:27 AM
True for military ribbons, but in our case the vast majority of our ribbons only denote a level of training or participation while a handful actually have value or meaning.  Thus, we have bling.

Like a membership ribbon for instance? They even call it "membership," denoting the required heart beat. Some of them are a little more meaningful though.

I get the baby face thing too. It's nice to be underestimated & then shine in comparrison to expectations. You have to toss on the service coat once in a while to combat people getting into a rut on that underestimation bit, but I really do prefer to keep them on the coat.

I try to wear them when I'm taking charge of new people to help establish credibility, but I feel like I'm holding my experience over others if I wear them all the time. Of course if there's something ceremonial later you need to wear ribbons in some capacity, on the shirt or toss on the coat for the festivities. If there's a UOD situation that precludes that then your stuck.

I like the cultural rules the AF uses on the issue. I pretty well stick to the spirit of that as much as I can.

JohnKachenmeister

I used to call the uniform the "Visual Resume" of soldiers.  They tell you where he ranks in the organization, what his skill specialty is, what significant things he has done in the past, and (In the case of the Army) where he works now.

Also, in some cases it might be important to know if you are talking to the Chaplain or the Provost Marshall.

BlackKnight

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

DNall

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 11, 2007, 05:49:40 AM
But when cadets or parents ask about his ribbons, he quips: "Oh those? I have no idea what they are. I just send my wife down to the BX and tell her to bring back a colorful assortment!"  Message conveyed, especially to cadets.
That's a funny joke when you're a General officer in the AF trying to be humble about your resume. It's not as funny when you're wearing LtCol in a CAP that already has a rep to worry about.

QuoteFor Cadets, the notes accompanying CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-2 say that ribbons are required.  Yes it looks ostentatious, but understand they're following CAP regs.
It's says ribbons are required, but not ALL ribbons. They can still pick & choose. A cadet 7 years in w/ a Spaatz probably should have more rack than most people. 

JohnKachenmeister

My son opted out of the CAP cadet program in favor of the JROTC program offered at his school.

He got a ribbon for selling fundraising pizza.

The "Curtis LeMay" look for our cadets is OK, and not as bad as the JROTC approach to everything being recognized with a ribbon.

I'm a little uncomfortable, however, with a CAP officer sporting 5 or 6 rows of ribbons, and when you look closer, none of them are for active duty.  I don't know what to do about it, though.  I thought about a re-vamping of our officer awards, but when I went through the awards, trying to combine and eliminate awards, I could only eliminate something like six or eight ribbons total.

I considered options such as combining the CD ribbon, SAR ribbon, O-flight ribbon for aircrews into the "CAP Air Service Award" which would be awarded based on total number of missions/sorties, regardless of type.  I also thought about creating the "Professional Development Ribbon" which would replace the membership, red service, and the successive milestone awards with clasps on the basic ribbon.

I never wrote it up as a recommendation.  I figured it would be Dead On Arrival.

CAP Producer

John,

The idea of a Professional Development Ribbon and a CAP Air Service Award are outstanding.

I think you should write them up.

I also had the idea of a "CAP Achievement Award".

This would rank below a CC's Commendation and could be presneted by a Group or Higher level CC for selelcted achivements that may not merit a CC's Commendation such as successful completion of a major project or Unit level member of the year.

The CAA would be awarded to members below the grade of Major. It would be equivelent to an Air Force Achivement Medal.

This brings CAP in line with the AF on it's non combat decorations.

CAP                                                              USAF

Distinguished Service Medal                        Distinguished Service Medal
Exceptional Serivice Award                          Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Award                           Meritorious Service Medal
Commander's Commendation Award           AF Commendation Medal
CAP Achivement Award  (proposed)            AF Achievement Medal

Any thoughts?
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Major Lord

I was standing by an Army Green Beret Colonel when an AF JROTC student approached us. He had two funny looking ribbons on his pizza stained, ill fitting blouse. The Col. asked what they were and was told that one had been awarded for attending a parade and the other one was for bowling...It is a good thing we were not drinking milk, since spitting it through your nose is considered poor form almsot everywhere...

By the way, I thought that only medal devices are technically called "Bling", but that anything pinned to your uniform, including "Bling" counts as "Flair" ( and as you know, you must have at least 17 pieces of "flair" on your uniform at all times.) I think that is a CAWG secret policy, you know, like discretionary grade....
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JohnKachenmeister

I heard a drill sergeant in the Army tell some recruits once:  "A uniform without ribbons is like a girl without boobs.  Nobody takes a second look."

I'm glad I was behind the formation, and the privates couldn't see me crack up laughing.

MIKE

I think cadet officers should wear only their highest milestone award and remove all the other milestone awards and achievement ribbons.  I could go either way with cadet NCOs.  Cadet airmen usually don't have this issue.  :)
Mike Johnston

davedove

I would have to say that it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  If the wear is optional, it means just that, wear them if you want to.  In squadron meetings it should be at the discretion of the individual.  If the Squadron Commander needs uniformity for whatever occasion, the level of ribbon wear can be mandated:  all, none, or any reasonable level in between.  For situations involving the non-CAP public, it is probably a good thing to wear the ribbons.

The ribbons are not just something pretty to put on the uniform.  Each ribbon stands for an accomplishment, no matter how minor some people might think it.

I happen to like seeing the ribbons and, in most cases, don't really see it as bragging.  However, I will admit that at times they can be a bother.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 11, 2007, 02:31:55 PM
I'm a little uncomfortable, however, with a CAP officer sporting 5 or 6 rows of ribbons, and when you look closer, none of them are for active duty.  I don't know what to do about it, though.  I thought about a re-vamping of our officer awards, but when I went through the awards, trying to combine and eliminate awards, I could only eliminate something like six or eight ribbons total.

I considered options such as combining the CD ribbon, SAR ribbon, O-flight ribbon for aircrews into the "CAP Air Service Award" which would be awarded based on total number of missions/sorties, regardless of type.  I also thought about creating the "Professional Development Ribbon" which would replace the membership, red service, and the successive milestone awards with clasps on the basic ribbon.

I never wrote it up as a recommendation.  I figured it would be Dead On Arrival.

Personally, I like the idea of only wearing one PD ribbon.  Just replace the lower one with the higher as earned.

I don't often wear ribbons, but when I do I wear a single bar of four

Lifesaving w/gold star
Gill Rob Wilson w/silver star
Scott Crossfield Aerospace
Earhart w/silver clasp and silver star (didn't have the Eaker back then, but I did get a Phase IV letter)

Mixing military (20+ years) and CAP (35+ years) awards gives a total of 40 ribbons - far to many to be worn in one place (my personal opinion).

John - how about sharing some Bam-i-ba?

Trung Si Ma
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it