Main Menu

EAA SAR

Started by CAP4117, July 16, 2011, 09:44:25 PM

CAP4117

Does anyone know if the upcoming EAA SAR is limited to members of WIWG?
Thanks!

Eclipse

What's an EAA SAR?

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I can only assume he means the EAAFI and NBB at Oshkosh, WI. JMHO but YMMV. OK? ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CAP4117

:D Sorry.
The EAA Precautionary SAR that is held by Wisconsin Wing. I really don't know anything about it - I was hoping to get some more information. I came across it here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=177414608970936

♠SARKID♠

I would count on it being limited to just WIWG.  Its a REDCAP mission with actual mission number, not a training exercise.  I doubt the mission planners would be willing to undergo the hullabaloo to get you on the mission.  There would be a lot to consider concerning travel, who'd be responsible for you, and the whole inter-wing mission thing.

If you're interested in helping at EAA you might want to consider applying to staff National Blue Beret.

CAP4117

CAPC/officer125

When I attended Beret last year, I ran into some WIWG personnel doing SAR. Apparently, they serve as the "off-base" SAR/ES force as those that are at Beret are tasked with serving the airshow and fly-in directly. I know Beret has a separate mission number and I would guess the WIWG people have their own as well.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Ed Bos

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 17, 2011, 05:47:58 AM
I would count on it being limited to just WIWG.  Its a REDCAP mission with actual mission number, not a training exercise.  I doubt the mission planners would be willing to undergo the hullabaloo to get you on the mission.  There would be a lot to consider concerning travel, who'd be responsible for you, and the whole inter-wing mission thing.

If you're interested in helping at EAA you might want to consider applying to staff National Blue Beret.

What hullabaloo are you referring to? An IC can make use of any CAP members who make themselves available and have their ducks in a row (e.g., current safety, current ES quals or SQTRs, etc), as evidenced by OpsQuals.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

ol'fido

Especially when the FB page says ANYBODY from ANYWHERE is wlecome(as long as they are qualified of course).
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CAP4117

Yeah, I saw that too. But I thought maybe they were just assuming that only people from WIWG would be reading the FB page in the first place, so what they meant is that it's open to anyone in WIWG. I don't know, I probably just misunderstood  ;D

♠SARKID♠

I talked with one of the other guys in my unit, and I may have been mistaken.  We still need help at our bases.  I'll PM you some contact info for the project officer and you can discuss it with him.

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on July 18, 2011, 04:21:04 AM
When I attended Beret last year, I ran into some WIWG personnel doing SAR. Apparently, they serve as the "off-base" SAR/ES force as those that are at Beret are tasked with serving the airshow and fly-in directly. I know Beret has a separate mission number and I would guess the WIWG people have their own as well.

Blue Beret only works on Whittman Field (Oshkosh).  WIWG has bases at Fon Du Lac Airport, Appleton Airport, and a sea base on Lake Winnebago.  Any ELTs on Whittman go to Blue Beret while anything within 35 miles of Whittman go to WIWG.  Fon Du Lac (where my squadron works) is the primary launching point for those searches.  At the bases, cadets log the tail number, time, and description of every plane the lands at their airport.  If a pilot forgets to close their flight plan the FAA calls CAP and we check our logs.  If we see that they landed recently the personnel at that airport get credit for a find.  If they aren't in the logs and remain missing for an extended period of time, a search is launched.

CAP4117

isuhawkeye

The larger scope of Oshkosh is really a great example of Area command, and the work of Wisconsin wing is tremendous. 

EmergencyManager6

Area command? Are you sure?  Do you have multiple Incident Command Posts, each with thier own compliment of ICS Staff?

isuhawkeye

Yes.

when I ran the emergency services at Beret Base (several years ago so my info may not be current) I was the Incident Commander of that location.  The Beret teams were responsible for our piece of the much larger event.  We had a staff including Operations, Planning, finance and logistics.  We reported up to the Wisconsin wing IC Who had his own staff.  He also coordianted operations at the other Bases.  It wasnt perfect, but the area command model was the best discription. 

If you are attempting to undermine or attack my understanding of the incident command structure please feel free to contact me off line, or reference my resume and determine for yourself if I know what I am talking about. 

If you are just being a troll...

EmergencyManager6

I had no intent on undermining you in anyway.  Just asking.  It was more for the education of the memebrs that might not grasp the concept of Area Command...yeah thats it!

Most of us Fire types really do understand ICS!

N Harmon

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on July 19, 2011, 04:43:09 PMMost of us Fire types really do understand ICS!

I would hope so, since it was Fire types who invented it. :P

Getting back to the EAA SAR, what is the ops tempo on that every year? I have been NBB twice (1997 and 1999) and each year it seemed to be pretty active but nothing that one or two ground teams could not handle.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

isuhawkeye

I can only speak for the years that I was in in volved in the mission, but here is what I recall

Whitman field
- Incidnet Command Post/communications
- 2 towers (one for each runway)
     Each tower recorded the make model and tail number of every ariving aircraft.  They also attempted to determine a general parking location for each aircraft
     Each tower also had a DF ser for triangulating ELT's
- Multimple ground/UDF teams on Golf carts were assigned patrols around specific parts fo the field

ELT activation
-The ELT would generally be heard on the field before a SARSAT notification could be processed
-The team that first heard the signal would call the mission base and report their positiona and bearing of the signal
-The Base would then manage response of resources and triangulation of signal as needed

Overdue Aircraft
-AFRCC would process the overdue aircraft mission
-The Wisconsin Incidient Commander would make a radio call to all of the active bases to report the information including which airport the aircraft was due into
- Each base would then review their base and tower records to see if the overdue aircraft was on yoru airport.  If so a ground team would be sent to track down the plane make contact with it, confirm that they were not in distress and if possible have the pilot close their flight plan. 

Accident on the field
- The Commanders commendation that means the most to me was awarded for being a part of the response to the colision betweent a bearcat and coursair on the field.  In this case the CAP staff work in conjunction with Oshkosh fire, Warbirds fire rescue and all of the other agencies that respond. 

hope that helps

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: N Harmon on July 19, 2011, 04:53:03 PM
Getting back to the EAA SAR, what is the ops tempo on that every year? I have been NBB twice (1997 and 1999) and each year it seemed to be pretty active but nothing that one or two ground teams could not handle.

The tempo on ELTs is pretty slow, but we've consistently gotten one or two somewhere in the area every year for the past three or four years (if memory serves me correct).  The bulk of the time is spent logging aircraft and checking for overdues.  One or two ground teams are about all that there are.  isuhawkeye explained the process at Oshkosh.  For off Oshkosh activations, the team at Fon Du Lac responds.  Anything outside of 35 miles from Oshkosh goes to the remaining WIWG ground teams not participating in EAA at the time.