Coast Guard C-130H EPIRB capability

Started by RiverAux, January 06, 2007, 09:20:06 PM

RiverAux

The latest issue of the CG's SARWATCH Newsletter had the article below:
QuoteEPIRB CAPABILITY
As of 1 December, approval has been received to begin installation of improved DF capability into C-130H aircraft, beginning in January 07. Specifically, this technology works as follows: the 406 MHz EPIRB emits a low power, 25 milliwatt sweeping-tone signal constantly on 121.5 MHz, but emits a 5 watt burst every 52 seconds on the 406 MHz frequency.  The 406 MHz emission is 200 times stronger than the 25 milliwatt sweeping-tone signal and is not degraded by environmental obstacles like the 121.5 MHz emission.  If the EPIRB is equipped with an internal or external GPS capability and properly registered (current registration rate is over 85%), not only can the DF-430-F accurately track the course to the 406 MHz signal, but the operator will be able to read a GPS position on a monitor inside the search aircraft.  The DF-430-F can quickly and easily lock onto this signal from great distances. This same capability will be on board the Casa 235 when it is delivered, and will be installed on the HH-65 and HH-60 when they complete their Deepwater upgrades in the next few years.

This DF-430-F unit sounds pretty handy?  Anyone know anythng about it?  Small enough to go on CAP planes? 

lordmonar

The ELT unit we have in our 182 and 208 (I forget the name...) is capable of receivening the 406 satellite burst.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hoser

208? Who has a Caravan? 
You're thinking of the Becker

RiverAux

You know, you're right the Becker can get the GPS coordinates if they're being transmitted.  We haven't had occassion to chase a 406 yet so that had totally slipped my mind. 

Hoser

Actually my concern is not chasing 406s, my concern is all the 121.5s we'll be chasing as they are pulled from service and trashed beeping all over creation. I have a friend who tells me CA Wing has seen an increase in ELT chasing for that exacxt reason.....

RiverAux

Ah, the last hurrah for those good old late-night non-distress calls....

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2007, 02:16:42 AM
You know, you're right...

You know I thought I'd never hear those words come from your finger tips! :D :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hotel 179

You know, you're right the Becker can get the GPS coordinates if they're being transmitted.  We haven't had occassion to chase a 406 yet so that had totally slipped my mind. 

Hello All,

We DF'd a 243 several months ago....the aircraft tail number was broadcast as well as the length of time the ELT had been activated.  The voice stream went something like, "24427....broadcasting 3 hours 28 minutes..."

We'd never heard the voice on 243 so we didn't recognize the numbers as a tail number until we found the aircraft parked in the field.  I walked up to it and had a strange feeling that I knew that tail number from somewhere....pulled out my notes and Viola'.

Semper vi,
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2007, 05:34:29 AM
You know, you're right...

You know I thought I'd never hear those words come from your finger tips! :D :D

Sorry you have to wait so long for me to actually be wrong about something!!!  >:D