Main Menu

Specialty Track

Started by paladin82, June 04, 2011, 08:51:50 PM

Rowan

Quote from: Eclipse on June 09, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
However, remember that you can be a staff officer with the assigned responsibilities and not pursue the related specialty track, and also vice-versa.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one have to be in a related specialty track if assigned a duty position?  My squadron had our inspection recently, and I was criticized by all three inspectors for not being enrolled in certain specialty tracks although holding the duty positions.

One of the inspectors told me one of the regs states "should" while another states "will" in regards to enrolling in the specialty tracks.  I was already enrolled in three, but now after hearing from the inspectors, I'm enrolled in seven, which I think is ridiculous.  My choices were to resign from some duty positions or sign up for specialty tracks. 

JC004

You don't have to progress in them, even if someone makes you sign up for them.  Done.  It isn't like being a cadet.

ßτε

Quote from: Rowan on June 25, 2011, 01:26:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 09, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
However, remember that you can be a staff officer with the assigned responsibilities and not pursue the related specialty track, and also vice-versa.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one have to be in a related specialty track if assigned a duty position?  My squadron had our inspection recently, and I was criticized by all three inspectors for not being enrolled in certain specialty tracks although holding the duty positions.

One of the inspectors told me one of the regs states "should" while another states "will" in regards to enrolling in the specialty tracks.  I was already enrolled in three, but now after hearing from the inspectors, I'm enrolled in seven, which I think is ridiculous.  My choices were to resign from some duty positions or sign up for specialty tracks.
Here is the reference:

Quote from:  CAPR 35-1Additionally, when assigned to an authorized duty position, the member will also enroll in the appropriate specialty track of the CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program unless he/she has already earned the master's rating in that specialty. When a member is assigned to more than one duty position, he/she will enroll in the specialty track for the primary duty. Training in remaining specialties is encouraged. NOTE: For promotion purposes, the highest skill rating earned, in any specialty, will be considered, regardless of the member's skill level in his or her primary duty.

So apparently the inspectors were misinformed.

JC004

What's a PRIMARY duty?  If I'm the squadron's Leadership Officer, ES Officer, and AE Officer (due to squadron size or suckage), what's the primary?  Whatever you like best?   :o

ßτε

Quote from: JC004 on June 25, 2011, 02:07:59 PM
What's a PRIMARY duty?  If I'm the squadron's Leadership Officer, ES Officer, and AE Officer (due to squadron size or suckage), what's the primary?  Whatever you like best?   :o
I would say your primary duty for purpose of enrolling in a specialty track would be determined in a conversation with the commander.

EMT-83

Well, yes.

Pick the Specialty Track that you want to pursue, and will able to meet the requirements. After all, it's your Professional Development "career" that's involved.

SarDragon

IMHO, if you are the Leadership Officer, ES Officer, and AE Officer all at the same time (not alternate), then you should be enrolled in all three. You are the principal in each position.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2011, 10:19:31 PM

IMHO, if you are the Leadership Officer, ES Officer, and AE Officer all at the same time (not alternate), then you should be enrolled in all three. You are the principal in each position.

YMMV.
As Leadership Officer, you should be enrolled in the Cadet Programs specialty track. There is no "Leadership Officer" specialty track.

EMT-83

My thoughts on multiple Specialty Tracks are slightly different. Having six or seven tracks open, with a NONE rating is worthless. What exactly does it add to the program?

Having one or two tracks open, where the member is actually working on completing the requirements, makes a whole lot more sense.

Camas

Whichever you're most comfortable in - absolutely. There's nothing wrong with that. Choose something that you can reasonably pursue and grow within that track and/or duty assignment.
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 26, 2011, 12:06:00 AM
My thoughts on multiple Specialty Tracks are slightly different. Having six or seven tracks open, with a NONE rating is worthless. What exactly does it add to the program? Having one or two tracks open, where the member is actually working on completing the requirements, makes a whole lot more sense.
I hold four specialty track ratings including two masters but it isn't necessarily anything I'd recommend for most members. I chose to pursue the last two only to set the example for other newer members. It's unlikely I'll make an attempt to pursue a fifth but who knows.