Main Menu

Specialty Track

Started by paladin82, June 04, 2011, 08:51:50 PM

paladin82

How do I choose which one is best for me?  Do I go with what the squadron doesn't already have, or do I go with what I am most interested in?

MIKE

A little of both...  Needs of the squadron with your area of interest factored in.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

The cool part....is you can do multiple tracks at the same time.

So do what the squadron needs you to do to support their operations and also do what ever you think you would be intrested in.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CT074CC

I myself have selected a few different specialty tracks.  I picked ones that can be beneficial to my squadron.  However, I am selecting one that I will specialize in that I will go all the way to Master in.  It's like that saying, "jack of all trades, but master of none".  My view is you become a master in at least one, so if there is a question, people know who to get good reliable information from.

James Shaw

I initially picked PAO because it the Squadron Commander needed a PAO and my schedule only allowed me to go once a month to start with. They scheduled the promotions and such for those nights.

I then started on the Historical track because I really enjoy history and this was a great compliment to have with the PAO.

When my schedule changed I started Cadet Programs and Aerospace Education at the same time. I eventually became a squadron commander and they both really helped.

While I was a squadron commander I started on the Safety track. I felt it was a very important track to be a part of, especially as a squadron commander.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

paladin82

I don't think we have a PAO, but we do have a Historian.  I kind of wanted to do Character Development, but we have one of those, and another person wanting to go that direction, too.  I don't think AE would be for me, nor would Cadet Programs.  The big thing is, we have about 30-35 seniors on the roster, but only about 10 of us show up.  So I don't know who is what.

CT074CC

Why wouldn't you want to do AE or CP?  Would you be interested in ES maybe?  I'm just curious as the three missions of CAP being CP, AE and ES and you are not interested in at least two of them...

Is your squadron a cadet, senior or composite?

RiverAux

Sounds like you might want to wait a few more months to learn more about CAP and your local unit before making a choice.  There really is no need to rush.  If ES is your interest you could spend the time working on an ES qualification. 

paladin82

Quote from: CAPSAR86 on June 05, 2011, 04:34:43 PM
Why wouldn't you want to do AE or CP?  Would you be interested in ES maybe?  I'm just curious as the three missions of CAP being CP, AE and ES and you are not interested in at least two of them...

Is your squadron a cadet, senior or composite?

Perhaps I just don't know enough about them yet.  I'm sure I don't know which track falls under which mission.  There hasn't been much of an indoctrination into what is what for me to make a decision, I guess.  So, for the record, I retract my statements about AE and CP.

Greenville is a Composite Squadron.

Sapper168

When I originally joined i decided on the ES track. What i have found is, that being in a composite Squadron, no matter what specialty track I picked I would end up working with cadets in some capacity. So i now have been looking at that specialty track as well.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

paladin82

What our squadron commander told all the newbies was not for all of us to go ES, and he discouraged us from taking Communications as our first specialty track.

Camas

Quote from: paladin82 on June 06, 2011, 06:48:03 PM
He discouraged us from taking Communications as our first specialty track.
I agree. I got my first tech rating in comm and it got me my 1st Lt but I've never pursued comm past that. It just wasn't worth it for me. Others may disagree.
Quote from: paladin82 on June 05, 2011, 04:28:09 PM
The big thing is, we have about 30-35 seniors on the roster, but only about 10 of us show up.  So I don't know who is what.
If you want to research "who is what" in your unit you can always look up each member in e-services and see what each has in the way of specialty track ratings. It's not a difficult procedure.

JeffDG

As there's no prohibition on multiple tracks, here's how I did it.

First, I said to myself "How can I contribute?"  Well, I have over 15 years experience in the IT world, so I selected the IT track...I did the exams in two days for Tech, Senior and Master, and I contribute as much as I can there, which I like to think is quite a bit...pretty much serving out Time-in-Service for the ratings...

Next, what's my mission focus.  For that, it's ES.  So I'm working on the ES specialty track.  It, however, is considerably more of a learning experience for me.

So, I'm doing IT to contribute to my squadron because I already have the skillset there, and ES for CAP to teach me stuff...a fair trade IMHO.

paladin82

Quote from: JeffDG on June 06, 2011, 07:16:05 PM
As there's no prohibition on multiple tracks, here's how I did it.

First, I said to myself "How can I contribute?" 

For me that would be (first) Character Development.  I have over 25 years experience as a non-pastoral church staff member. Second would likely be IT, as my last job was primarily IT for 4 years.

Quote from: JeffDG on June 06, 2011, 07:16:05 PMNext, what's my mission focus.

For me, that would likely be either AE or CP.  Both because I received my undergraduate degree preparing me to teach teenagers (although I never did).  And since I never taught, I guess I am apprehensive about trying now that I am over 50.

Eclipse

Specialty tracks are not a zero-sum game.  There is no limit to how many people can be working on them.

The only challenge will be the ones where a staff appointment is required, in which case it will be subjective to the approving commander as to whether you have to have been >the< "x", or just a member doing the things "x" does.

You should be looking at tracks which either fulfill a need at your squadron, mesh with why you joined CAP, or both.

Probably an optimum situation would be doing one your unit needs and one you are interested in.

Be aware that if you plan to progress to the Master level in something, you should look into tracks you can reasonably complete.  It can be very frustrating for members who get to "Senior" in something and then find there is no way they can complete the Master, as have to reset their promotion clock several years while they ramp up into a brand new specialty track.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I chose to do a bunch so that I could learn as much as possible.

This also puts me in a good position for when I oust Col Weiss and become National Commander, shortly after his election in August.   >:D  This way, I will have a nice, broad understanding of the various areas with a lot of detail in some and at least a familiarity that is helpful in others.  I think this will greatly benefit my regime.  With a greater understanding of the organization's various (dis)functions, I will be able to focus more on who gets a 2b or which shoulder cords to authorize for senior members.

paladin82

Squadron commander says we need a Communications Officer, even though he discouraged us newbies from choosing Communications as a first track.

He wants to discuss it.

Eclipse

In most units the Comm officer is just the guy who keeps track of the equipment and accepts responsibility for it.

Unless you are already a "comm guy" (and if you are, you probably are reading this on an Amiga with a green / black VDT), you probably
won't enjoy it much.

However, remember that you can be a staff officer with the assigned responsibilities and not pursue the related specialty track, and also vice-versa.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 09, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
In most units the Comm officer is just the guy who keeps track of the equipment and accepts responsibility for it.

What about the glorious pay benefits?

mjbernier

I chose the IT track initially because a) my squadron is so backward in technology (other than radios) that it more or less missed the entire PC era, and b) I have 30 years in the IT industry and believe I can make a substantial contribution in this area (and let's face it -- when you're starting from zero, doing anything is substantial  ;) )

But, in looking around the squadron there are a number of other positions that could use a little more help, and most of them are areas I have some sort of background or experience in (one example is PAO -- I was the creator and editor of a club newsletter for about seven years and used to write articles regularly for it; I was the webmaster for the club's website; and I've been a "serious amateur" photographer for the past quarter-century). Our AE instructor is great, but she doesn't have a lot of experience in model rocketry; I've been flying them since I was about 12, so I've been helping her and the cadets with getting that program rolling. I've been interested in Communications for many years, but haven't done much to explore that area... I learned our Comm officer will be leaving soon, which could open up some opportunities for expanding my training on something completely different.

I guess where I'm going with all this is to say that if you take a moment to look around, you'll find things that can fulfill a need within your unit and satisfy a personal interest at the same time.

Just my two cents.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org