College & Squadron Meetings

Started by Arrow, May 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AM

RADIOMAN015

As others have said it is very important for you to decide on a good working career path and move at a quick pace to get the appropriate education to assist you in that career path.

Unfortunately, in CAP I've met both older cadets & (younger) seniors that have "lost their way" in life career wise and utilize CAP as the "crutch" for their stagnation and have never seem to be able to break free to enhance/change careers because the CAP meetings/activities have taken priority in their lives.  Fortunately (and unfortunately as far as money goes) some have now been forced to go back and change their career due to becoming unemployed and having to take a good look at what is really important.   

IF you need to take a leave of absence due to school by all means just do it.  Make your education/career path your primary goal.  CAP is likely to be around when you finish your schooling and you can become more active at that time IF you choose to do this.
RM   

fijkus

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 28, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
IF you need to take a leave of absence due to school by all means just do it.  Make your education/career path your primary goal.  CAP is likely to be around when you finish your schooling and you can become more active at that time IF you choose to do this.
RM   

Pretty much this. I've been able to turn things around so that I'm in the program I want to be in after all, but it'll take me two or three more years to finish my bachelor's degree and I've just past four academic years in college. And a large part of that was because I didn't utilize my time properly. That's two or three years that I could be building a solid base for my career, or utilize in earning a Masters or Ph.D. About the only good thing is that I started young, so I was able to absorb some of that hit.

When in doubt, school and family comes first.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: elipod on May 28, 2011, 12:47:08 AM
Alright. Maybe i'm just a cadet, and am all Gung-Ho about CAP, haha. I see the opportunities as never ending. I am going to college in January, but will definitely join the local squadron. There is no way i'm missing out on all this :)

Been there, done that, inactive since early 2008.

:/

College is college, and at the end of the day, the Cadet Program is "nice" but it's not life.

dogboy

As a college professor my opinion is simply that if you're going to a college that leaves enough time for being active in CAP, you should go to a more competitive college instead.

The difference between how much students study at a really good college and a mediocre college is  enormous. At the highly rated liberal arts college I now work at, students study about 40 hours a week, in addition to time spent actually in classes and labs.

At the medium ranked state university I formerly taught at, the average student studied fewer than 5 hours a week. Of course even at state u there were some students who studied hard. But because class work has to be pitched at the average student, even a hard-studier wouldn't get the education he or she deserves.

I always explain this to prospective students. If you want to have a good time, an Arizona State education will provide lots of free time for parties (or CAP). Just don't be deceived into believing that you'll be getting the education you could get at our college.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogboy on June 05, 2011, 06:18:45 PM
As a college professor my opinion is simply that if you're going to a college that leaves enough time for being active in CAP, you should go to a more competitive college instead.

The difference between how much students study at a really good college and a mediocre college is  enormous. At the highly rated liberal arts college I now work at, students study about 40 hours a week, in addition to time spent actually in classes and labs.

At the medium ranked state university I formerly taught at, the average student studied fewer than 5 hours a week. Of course even at state u there were some students who studied hard. But because class work has to be pitched at the average student, even a hard-studier wouldn't get the education he or she deserves.

I always explain this to prospective students. If you want to have a good time, an Arizona State education will provide lots of free time for parties (or CAP). Just don't be deceived into believing that you'll be getting the education you could get at our college.

40 Hours a week? I guess you're one of THOSE professors.

I work a full time job, with full time college course work. 4 nights, 4 classes, 3 hours each.

That's 12 hours in class per week.

I'd say on average I spend maybe 1-2 hours per class, outside of class. I can also say that this is reasonable.

Pray tell what you think a student is doing for 40 hours per week on 4-6 classes? If I spend under 4 hours in class, why would I spend 10+ hours learning? Maybe your college needs to focus on teaching more IN class? Perhaps the students are learning on their own due to lack of proper instruction?

Since when does quantity of time studying equate to quality of the instruction?

For reference, this is some ranking for my University, where I'm doing quite well:
USNWR National University[2]136
WM National University[3]112

dogboy

Your comments support mine entirely.

I'd say on average I spend maybe 1-2 hours per class, outside of class.

For reference, this is some ranking for my University, where I'm doing quite well:

USNWR National University[2]   136
    WM National University[3]   112

Just as I said, students at a "mediocre college" spend, on the average 5 hours a week on out of class work. You state that you spend 4-8 and you're doing "quite well".

What do students at my college spend 40 hours a week doing? I'm afraid you'll never understand but it's the difference between a real education and training to be a drone.

It's a pity because if you can work full-time and go to school full time, you might actually be capable of doing real college work.

But your plan is perfectly ok with me.. The world needs lots of drones.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 05, 2011, 07:47:43 PM

40 Hours a week? I guess you're one of THOSE professors.

I work a full time job, with full time college course work. 4 nights, 4 classes, 3 hours each.

That's 12 hours in class per week.

I'd say on average I spend maybe 1-2 hours per class, outside of class. I can also say that this is reasonable.

Pray tell what you think a student is doing for 40 hours per week on 4-6 classes? If I spend under 4 hours in class, why would I spend 10+ hours learning? Maybe your college needs to focus on teaching more IN class? Perhaps the students are learning on their own due to lack of proper instruction?

Since when does quantity of time studying equate to quality of the instruction?

USNWR National University[2]136
WM National University[3]112

+1 - I work full time and attend a state university full time. Next semester I will take 3 classes online and 1 on campus. I spend a couple hours a week on each class but you won't see me spending 40 hours a week studying.

dogboy

Exactly.

+1 - I work full time and attend a state university full time. Next semester I will take 3 classes online and 1 on campus. I spend a couple hours a week on each class but you won't see me spending 40 hours a week studying.

Майор Хаткевич

Wow.

Enjoy that world view then. What exactly makes a University "mediocre" in your mind?

As a professor, I would think you would enjoy the opportunity to at least tell a 'drone' what a student will spend 40 hours outside of class doing.

It's great to see you talk about drones, yet expect 'good' students at a 'good' college to spend a full workweek doing homework. No consideration for individual strengths/intelligence/learning styles?

What exactly do you teach? Astrophysics?

dogboy

What exactly makes a University "mediocre" in your mind?

A college where one can do "quite well" with 4-8 hours of out-of-class work a week.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogboy on June 05, 2011, 08:36:38 PM

A college where one can do "quite well" with 4-8 hours of out-of-class work a week.

How about answering my other questions about your kick-ass univeristy?

In 2005 there were two thousand six hundred eighteen accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Lets put mine at 125. That's in the top 5%. I don't lay claim to being at an Ivy League school, but I also don't believe the BS you're telling us about what the average student does outside of class at your college. Unless like I said, the "death by powerpoint" is strong within you that they NEED to learn it on their own.

SarDragon

Locally, National University has a reputation as a degree mill. The graduates get an OK education that might get them an OK job, but it is very different from the quality of education the students at UCSD receive.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

does that 40 hour requirement include lounging on the quad wearing che t-shirts smoking a "J"?

Or intro to bongo's and crappy poetry 101?

School bashing is fun and all, but when you start slamming others choice of education and dedication to CAP, then you reap what you sew.

I have no illusions that my school isn't at the top of the list in my major, but I can afford it, and that's what counts.
Not to mention I have been to a prestigious school with a top 10 rated engineering program, and I found that all that extra out of class work was just compensation for crappy in class teaching.

YMMV
Paramedic
hang-around.

dogboy

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 05, 2011, 08:41:45 PM
Quote from: dogboy on June 05, 2011, 08:36:38 PM

How about answering my other questions about your kick-ass univeristy?

In 2005 there were two thousand six hundred eighteen accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Lets put mine at 125. That's in the top 5%. I don't lay claim to being at an Ivy League school, but I also don't believe the BS you're telling us about what the average student does outside of class at your college. Unless like I said, the "death by powerpoint" is strong within you that they NEED to learn it on their own.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-arum-college-20110602,0,1981136.story

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: dogboy on June 07, 2011, 09:44:00 PMhttp://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-arum-college-20110602,0,1981136.story

Again no answers to my questions?

That's fine.

Your article supports MY side more so than yours. (Aside from the fact that it's an OP-ED).

It states that the average now is 5 hours, which is about HALF of the 1960s. Do you know what I attribute it to? Technology. I can probably multitask MUCH better than someone my age in the 60s could. I also don't need to spend hours upon hours in the library looking up facts in a book, when I have things such as "THE GOOGLE", and it's great collection of scholarly sources and even hundreds of thousands of books.

But it's great to see that you expect students to spend four times as long today as they would have in the 60s, given all the advances in education and technology since then. After all, progress and anything related to it must be a dirty word.