"Old" Cadet Program and Achievements

Started by anonymous former c/col, May 17, 2011, 12:56:32 AM

anonymous former c/col

Okay old cadets.  I was a cadet in the late 80s to early 90s.  (To you young people: Spaatz was well below 1200 count, no Eaker, C/FO was still around, 15 achievements, and only about 8 special activities.)

Does anyone know where I can find a graphic breakdown of the old achievements?  I saw the new cadet superchart... Is something like that posted anywhere for our era?

Thanks.

SarDragon

Doubtful. You might ask around for an olde CAPF 66 from that era, but I'm guessing the olde VA's are long torn down and thrown away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 17, 2011, 12:56:32 AM
Okay old cadets.  I was a cadet in the late 80s to early 90s.  (To you young people: Spaatz was well below 1200 count, no Eaker, C/FO was still around, 15 achievements, and only about 8 special activities.)

Does anyone know where I can find a graphic breakdown of the old achievements?  I saw the new cadet superchart... Is something like that posted anywhere for our era?

Thanks.

more importantly, are you contributing to a cadet program somewhere, today?
and if not, why not :)

we need people like you!!!

anonymous former c/col

Thanks for replies.

Not currently involved with CAP.  But thanks, though!  We'll see what the future brings.

ol'fido

Is late 80s and early 90s technically "old"? I joined in '77 and there are several others with prior join dates. BillB said he joined as a cadet in '45 in another thread.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

anonymous former c/col

"Is late 80s and early 90s technically "old"? I joined in '77 and there are several others with prior join dates."

This will be offensive, I'm sure, to a lot of people.

This is exactly why I have no interest in being a SM, and what made my life hades as a cadet.  Some of you guys will argue and nit-pick over ANYTHING. 

It know isn't old to those of you who feel the need to whip out your, ahem, "resumes" and prove your longevity in CAP.  I believe that's why I used parentheses.  It is old only in the reference of now and the new cadet program.

ßτε

I have the "old" CAPM 50-16 from 1 April 1988. It has a table of "CIVIL AIR PATROL CADET PROGRAM ACHIEVEMENT SPECIFICATIONS AND AWARDS" (CAPVA 49) dated May 1986.
I will try to scan it tomorrow and post it if it comes out readable.

anonymous former c/col

SarDragon

Lighten up Francis!

Old(e) is, as you say, relative. 1999 is old for a new cadet today. 1977 is old for Randy. 1964 is olde for me, and Bill is just plain olde.

As far as "new" cadet program, there are only two that I know about - the one that ended in the '63-64 time frame, and the current one, which has more similarities to 1964 than differences.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

anonymous former c/col

My point demonstrated exactly. 

You're telling me to lighten up while arguing over the definition of "new" and "old."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 17, 2011, 12:56:32 AM

Thanks.

Nothing to do with the topic, but are you a member of the Spaatz Association?  You're anonymous here, but there are some Spaatz Recipients they're still trying to track down.  Even though you have no desire to be a senior member, perhaps you can still contribute to an organization that helped you.

http://www.spaatz.org/
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

anonymous former c/col

Nope, not a member of the Spaatz Association.

I'm not being flip or sarcastic in any way when I ask this: What does the Spaatz association contribute to CAP?  I think I remember something about flight scholarships, but otherwise, I dunno.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 17, 2011, 09:59:06 PM
Nope, not a member of the Spaatz Association.

I'm not being flip or sarcastic in any way when I ask this: What does the Spaatz association contribute to CAP?  I think I remember something about flight scholarships, but otherwise, I dunno.

Yes, they offer flight scholarships to CAP cadets.  It's a good way to keep track of those people who have benefited from CAP and help increase our supporters, whether it be monetary or association related.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 17, 2011, 03:19:00 AM
"Is late 80s and early 90s technically "old"? I joined in '77 and there are several others with prior join dates."

This will be offensive, I'm sure, to a lot of people.

This is exactly why I have no interest in being a SM, and what made my life hades as a cadet.  Some of you guys will argue and nit-pick over ANYTHING. 

It know isn't old to those of you who feel the need to whip out your, ahem, "resumes" and prove your longevity in CAP.  I believe that's why I used parentheses.  It is old only in the reference of now and the new cadet program.

If you think that this is arguing and nitpicking, you have obviously never met my wife. >:D. Like he said, Lighten up. It'a all good.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Just to throw a little fuel on the fire about old or not: Next year we'll start seeing cadets join that won't even have been born in the same decade century millennium as us. :o Cell phones have always existed for them. The internet has always been there. MTV has never played music(an exaggeration but not too far off ;) ).
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

anonymous former c/col

Gawd I can hear it now... :clap:

Me:  "I joined in the 80s."

Chorus of SMs:  "That's nothin!"

"When I was a cadet we didn't have epaulets on our blues...we wore shoulder boards and had cartoons for bling."

"When I was a cadet color TV was new..."

"That's nothin young whipper snapper... we didn't even have TV."

"We listened to meetings on the ham radio, and we liked it! We loved it!"

"Oh yeah? Our Comm was smoke signals."

"Pshaw...babies...WIWAC dinosaurs were SMs.  They didn't 2b you, they just ate you.  RAWR!"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 18, 2011, 04:51:26 AM
Gawd I can hear it now... :clap:

Me:  "I joined in the 80s."

Chorus of people who spend too much time thinkin about CAP:  "That's nothin!"

"When I was a cadet we didn't have epaulets on our blues...we wore shoulder boards and had cartoons for bling."

"When I was a cadet color TV was new..."

"That's nothin young whipper snapper... we didn't even have TV."

"We listened to meetings on the ham radio, and we liked it! We loved it!"

"Oh yeah? Our Comm was smoke signals."

"Pshaw...babies...WIWAC dinosaurs were SMs.  They didn't 2b you, they just ate you.  RAWR!"

You forgot "WIWAC Jesus was my flight sergeant."

anonymous former c/col

ßτε

Quote from: ß τ ε on May 17, 2011, 03:33:15 AM
I have the "old" CAPM 50-16 from 1 April 1988. It has a table of "CIVIL AIR PATROL CADET PROGRAM ACHIEVEMENT SPECIFICATIONS AND AWARDS" (CAPVA 49) dated May 1986.
I will try to scan it tomorrow and post it if it comes out readable.
Here is what I have.

Bluelakes 13

WOW - life was so much simpler back then...