Main Menu

ISR Radios (future of)

Started by jks19714, May 10, 2011, 06:53:22 PM

jks19714

I read that Icom is no longer manufacturing ISR radios.  If that is true, what will we use in their place?  The Icoms that I have seen are often in a state of disrepair, with missing/broken antennas, knobs, etc. and parts seem to be made of Unobtainium.

I noticed that Vertex makes a nice little HT (VX-354) which will do 1 or 5 watts, 16 channels, 380-470 MHz for less than $200.  There don't appear to be too many choices when it comes to inexpensive radios for the 380-420 MHz frequency range. 

Is NTC looking for an ISR The Next Generation?  Or will we be "forced" to hand over $$$$ EFJ portables to folks on the flightline or encampments?

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Spaceman3750

Forced to hand over? The EFJs and other corporate radios are there to support the CAP missions. If that means they need to go onto the flightline or into TACO hands then that's what it means. That's why they're there.

jks19714

"Forced to" -- I meant that they cost a lot of money (to buy AND to repair) for the application. 
Diamond Flight 88

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jks19714 on May 10, 2011, 07:04:20 PM
"Forced to" -- I meant that they cost a lot of money (to buy AND to repair) for the application.

Fair enough.

lordmonar

Yes....but that implies that the TACOs and FLMs are less deserving and/or less responsible for the proper care and use of issued equipment.

:(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2011, 07:11:49 PM

Yes....but that implies that the TACOs and FLMs are less deserving and/or less responsible for the proper care and use of issued equipment.

I interpret it to mean that were deploying $1800 worth of equipment to do the job of an $80 radio.

jks19714

Yes.  It is the case of using a $1800 hammer when a $100 hammer will do. 

Please do not jump to the conclusion that I am suggesting the use of an ISR radio as a hammer.  ;)  I use the EFJ 5300's for that --
Diamond Flight 88

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: jks19714 on May 10, 2011, 07:26:02 PM
Yes.  It is the case of using a $1800 hammer when a $100 hammer will do. 

Please do not jump to the conclusion that I am suggesting the use of an ISR radio as a hammer.  ;)  I use the EFJ 5300's for that --

;D ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: jks19714 on May 10, 2011, 06:53:22 PM
I read that Icom is no longer manufacturing ISR radios.

Cite please.

"That Others May Zoom"

EmergencyManager6

just remember that ISR and our VHF Radios serve 2 completely diffrent purposes.
  They are not interchangeable.

lordmonar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 10, 2011, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2011, 07:11:49 PM

I interpret it to mean that were deploying $1800 worth of equipment to do the job of an $80 radio.
Oh I would buy that.....two caviates.

1.  The ISR ran about $130 IIRC.
2.  We are not allowed to use FRM/GRMS frequencies for ES by law.

So ICOM may not make the ISRs anymore....but someone may make them.  If the military does not need the ISR freqs anymore, then we can always find someone who will make and ISR radior for us or modify their exiting FRS radios to use th ISR freqs.

coudano

what are you doing to your ISR's?
we have 11 and they are all in very good condition.
we use them pretty hard / regularly... including in field conditions.

sheesh.

Senior

One word on who uses them:  "Cadets"

lordmonar

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 10, 2011, 07:38:09 PM
just remember that ISR and our VHF Radios serve 2 completely diffrent purposes.
  They are not interchangeable.
I would not say "completely different".  They serve the same purpose of providing easy communications.

One is for short range (under .5 miles) and the other is for longer range.

If all you got is VHF use it as best fits your needs.
If you got the ISR...use them in the short range nich to free up the VHF freq for long distance traffic.

coudano

Eclipse

Quote from: Senior on May 10, 2011, 09:08:59 PM
One word on who uses them:  "Cadets"

And the other one is seniors.  The distinction should be based on need, not membership status or age.

As to the comments regarding breakage, this is generally due to abuse, especially with the antennas, but when they break, they get fixed.
My Wing has parts in stock and we just send them up for repair, occasionally paying for the parts if it was our fault.  Considering how
seldom most members use radios at all, with proper care they should still be like new in a decade.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

We have about 14 ISRs and have lost two of them in the last five years.  One was run over by a Senoir Member the other I (also a senior member) pulled the antenna off while doing ops checks.

Mishandeling of equipment is not limited to just cadets.

CAP.is.1337

The USMC moved to slightly modified and encrypted XTS2500i Motorola handhelds; I see no reason why we couldn't do the same, save for expense...
http://www.marines.mil/unit/pandr/Documents/Concepts/2008/PDF/CP08Ch3P1_Integrated_IntraSquad_Radio.pdf
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

RADIOMAN015

Well a good replacement radio for the ISR would be the Wouxun KG-833 Single Band UHF Handheld Commercial Radio, for $99.99 (5 watts, accessories include AA battery pack)
http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-833-single-band-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

NTIA Redbook Chapter 4,
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/redbook/ed200801rev201009/4d_9_10.pdf
provides for up to 8 UHF frequencies (407-420 mhz band) if no interference otherwise only 4 simplex freqs for infrequent use.

Table 2 also provides for about 130 simplex UHF channels, and IF CAP agreed to only use 14 of those channels on a low power portable only basis, 5 watt output would likely get approval.

Another option for CAP is to get an FCC fleet license for low power 5 watt portables only working in the UHF range of 460.6625- 464.9875 mhz, on the splinter frequencies.  We could ask for 5, 10, 15, channels or more since we are using low power there wouldn't be much of a coordination issue.   In addition standard DCS codes would be used for each channel (as opposed to CTCSS) reducing interference issues.

The ISR's are really not very durable radios for field operations, and the example above is very durable.
RM     

Major Lord

Re-reading the initial post, I wonder if the question the poster was asking was about using the Vertex on ISR frequencies? That would be naughty.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."