Main Menu

Joining CAP

Started by Scurtin, March 26, 2011, 02:55:50 PM

Scurtin

Hello cap community,

My name is skyler curtin, and I had a few questions about cap. I'm pretty sure I want to join, but I wanted to ask a couple questions first.  First off do cadet members have to hold a certain gpa in high school to maintain membership in cap? Secondly, what kind of opportunites cadet members get in regards private pilot training? Sorry to intrude on your forum, but I figured were better to get info than straight from the horses mouth? Well anyways thanks in advance for any info you can provide me.

Hopefully a future cap cadet,
Skyler curtin :)
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084
Lafayette Composite squadron

MIKE

You can have your cadet membership terminated for "Failure to maintain a satisfactory academic school record." but privacy rules being what they are today, squadrons shouldn't be asking to see report cards.

CAP has and Orientation Flight program which can get you 5 flights in the front seat, depending on aircraft and pilot availability in your area.  There are also Flight Academies for those who are selected.

Go here to find units in your area: http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/ 
Mike Johnston

Scurtin

My grade isn't horrifically bad, just a couple d's, I'm working on it though.
But from what your saying I should be fine.

Now another question, what does a squadron do 90 % of the time, is it mainly exercise, with aerospace education, because I live in indiana, and there isn't too much action going on?
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

MIKE

Quote from: Scurtin on March 26, 2011, 03:15:30 PMNow another question, what does a squadron do 90 % of the time, is it mainly exercise, with aerospace education, because I live in indiana, and there isn't too much action going on?

On a monthly basis you can expect to be doing drill (marching etc), an Aerospace Education class, a Character Development peer discussion, a fitness activity of some sort and/or the Cadet Physical Fitness Test.  The Cadet Program is based on a military model, so you can expect some leadership training to thrown in.
Mike Johnston

Scurtin

Ok,
Thanks mike for the info, btw say hello to the newest cadet member, Just kidding I know I have to be approved first, but ya finally I'm going to goin cap, been wanting to do it for the last what's it been I think 5 years lol.

Sincerely
Skyler curtin
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

Scurtin

Oh jeez defeating the forums just like to say I do have 3 A's, not a complete failure >:D
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

Scurtin

Dang it! Meant rereading not defeating. :)
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

Eclipse

Indiana Wing is very active - they have one of the biggest units in the country (based at a school), and do a fair amount of ES, in fact, the National emergency Services Academy is based in Indiana and Camp Atterbury is also used for a lot of other activities as well.

What you will do week to week, and where the emphasis in the CAP choices are will vary from squadron to squadron, so your best bet is to contact
the unit commander and discuss what they do and then when to visit the unit.  Most units require participation in at least three meetings before
you can join.

"That Others May Zoom"

Scurtin

Ok, just for anyone wondering I will be attending the

Lafayette composite squadron
Lafayette Indiana
GLR-IN-084

Well hopefully
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

MIKE

Let us know how your first meeting goes... and if you have more questions, ask.
Mike Johnston

Scurtin

Will do, and I just emailed the CO a sec ago and they hold there meetings Sunday so you'll probably here something from me by then, and on e again I can not thank you for all you information and advice.

Kc9mzz
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

Scurtin

Woops that's for ham radio my bad, pulled an all nightsr and my brain is currently mush, sorry

Sincerely
Skyler curtin
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

peter rabbit

QuoteSecondly, what kind of opportunites cadet members get in regards private pilot training?

If you find a willing CAP instructor pilot and can afford to pay for the costs of the CAP plane:

CAP cadets and qualified SAR/DR mission pilots are authorized to use CAP airplanes for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.

davidsinn

Quote from: Scurtin on March 26, 2011, 04:14:54 PM
Will do, and I just emailed the CO a sec ago and they hold there meetings Sunday so you'll probably here something from me by then, and on e again I can not thank you for all you information and advice.

Kc9mzz

LaFayette is a strong unit that just celebrated their 50th anniversary. They have access to a plane in the summer and also the glider so you will have a blast in that unit.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

caphornbuckle

Quote from: Scurtin on March 26, 2011, 03:53:58 PM
Ok, just for anyone wondering I will be attending the

Lafayette composite squadron
Lafayette Indiana
GLR-IN-084

Well hopefully

I agree with davidsinn.

Lafayette is a very good squadron with very good leadership in place!  I'm sure you will learn a lot and enjoy it along the way!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Scurtin

Another question, anybody know if the leaders there are a cfi?
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

davidsinn

Quote from: Scurtin on March 27, 2011, 02:24:06 AM
Another question, anybody know if the leaders there are a cfi?

I'm pretty sure there is at least one but I would ask them if I where you.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Scurtin

Hi all,
So I went to my first meeting tonight, it was very exciting. I was planning on just observing, but they got me with cadet sergeant McEntire, and he went over drills with me for the meeting, and before we split up they threw me in formation, god was I freaking out, but it was ok, and I defiantly enjoyed it, I'm sort of afraid I'm going to have dreams about doing about face all night though, jk, but like I said it was defiently exciting! I am most defiently going next Sunday, and the co said I might be able to sign up then too :)

I wouldn't say I particulary llike drills, but understand the necessity to do them, so I guess I'll just have to right?  ;D

Well anyways it's 12 here and I have to wake up at 6 for school, so I'll be signing off now.

Sincerely,
Skyler curtin

Ps: could someone recommend what type of boots I should get, found a nice pair of combat boots I think patent leather for $50
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

a2capt

You probably don't want the shiny ones .. because when you scratch 'em, thats it.  .. and I do say *when* for a reason.

Part of what they'll do is teach how to shine 'em, and you'll want to do it at certain times. You can't do anything with the shiny ones except buy new ones.

Scurtin

Ok,so what kind of material should I look for in boots?

Thanks,
Skyler
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

MIKE

sportsmansguide.com sometimes has good deals in black boots, but they do appear to be getting scarce at the the cheaper prices.  I kinda like the looks of these though:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rocky-8-prolight-gore-tex-boots-black.aspx?a=680161

Here's the page to see more: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/mens-footwear-duty.aspx?c=11&s=370

Somebody had posted a link to a pair of plain black leather combat boots that were a really good budget pair, but I don't recall which site they were on.
Mike Johnston

Scurtin

How abou these?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-spec-jungle-boots.aspx?a=545709

The toe part u see is leather, and the part your pants cover are a breathable nylon
And there on 25$?

Thanks
Sc
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

MIKE

I destroyed a pair of those in one weekend at an air show when I was a cadet. 
Mike Johnston

Scurtin

C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084

Huey Driver

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-rothco-ultra-force-jungle?tab=0&sq=1&sid=1:653:0,5:1046:0

good regulation wise?

Boots look good! Also, just over in Illinois CAP has it's largest flight academy, the Johnson Flight Academy. Check it out at:
http://jfa.ilwg.cap.gov/
http://ncsas.com/index.cfm/lt_col_raymond_j_johnson_flight_academy?show=career_fair&careerFairID=47

Also, I don't know how old you are but I know you're in high school, Purude has a great aviation technology program right at home.
http://www.tech.purdue.edu/at/
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

indygreg

Quote from: Scurtin on March 30, 2011, 01:48:52 AM
http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-rothco-ultra-force-jungle?tab=0&sq=1&sid=1:653:0,5:1046:0

good regulation wise?

thanks,
sc

That's what I wear.  They've been through an encampment, air show, and several SAREX's.  I noticed in an earlier post that you were a Ham.  INWG is currently making a serious effort to improve their Comm program.  That might be something you would be interested in doing.

Scurtin

Thanks indygreg for the info,

And once I turn in my papers next week I'll remind the squad commander him I'm a ham, and see what I can do to help, thanks.

Thanks,
Skyler curtin
C/Amn Skyler Curtin
GLR-IN-084