Main Menu

Can I Go To Any SLS?

Started by ProdigalJim, March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PM

ProdigalJim

So if my wing doesn't seem to have an SLS on the schedule, can I go to someone else's (presuming, of course, that I get blessing from my wing to do so)? Or do I have to wait until they organize an SLS in my own wing?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

NCRblues

You can go to others (as long as the chain of command approves) and in fact many people say its better to attend away from "what you are normal with". You never know what you can learn from the people down the road  ;)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Check with your unit CC.

My SLS way back in '94 was hosted by and composed mostly of members of my then-unit.

I taught at one about 10 years ago that had people from all over.  I liked that because I got to interact with people I wouldn't have otherwise.

I went to a Region conference that wasn't in my wing.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ProdigalJim

Cool, thanks! There's one happening up the road in PA which is in day-trip distance and not a bad overnight. Change of scenery = bonus!

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

SARDOC

you also have to complete your Level 1 first

Phil Hirons, Jr.

And be in a Specialty Track in e-services.

RVT

Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PMSo if my wing doesn't seem to have an SLS on the schedule, can I go to someone else's (presuming, of course, that I get blessing from my wing to do so)? Or do I have to wait until they organize an SLS in my own wing?

I just did the online SLS conducted by Wyoming Wing, and I'm in Los Angeles.  I work on Saturday.

Flying Pig

How do you do cattle ropping online?

Eclipse

Quote from: RVT on March 22, 2011, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PMSo if my wing doesn't seem to have an SLS on the schedule, can I go to someone else's (presuming, of course, that I get blessing from my wing to do so)? Or do I have to wait until they organize an SLS in my own wing?

I just did the online SLS conducted by Wyoming Wing, and I'm in Los Angeles.  I work on Saturday.

I am strongly against the idea of online SLS - defeats the whole purpose.  I'm even more strongly against the idea of taking it
online from another wing.

If one wing wants to dilute their member's abilities, so be it, but they should not be exporting that bad idea to other wings.

CAP is not a correspondence course, the more it becomes one, the closer we are to being done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

I know I'm a fairly new member, and not "in the know" on this type of stuff, but I'll put my opinion out there anyways. If anything, it may help someone understand it from the "new guys" perspective...

First, I think some things are great online, and some things are not.  I earned about half of my associates degree online while taking some on campus classes as well (same school, same time.) I did great in the history, political science, humanities, and other general education stuff online.  But boy oh boy do I wish I would have never taken a math or science class online, my GPA still hates me for that decision.  So what I'm saying is some things work, some don't.

I must admit that when I first joined CAP I was surprised at how long it would take to really get anywhere with training or do anything.  There are no SLS courses scheduled in my wing, and for someone like myself who wants to jump in and get going, it is frustrating. I have held on, but there was a point that I was pretty tired of the "hurry up and wait" and about called it quits because I wasn't doing anything.  So, from this perspective, I think online courses are great.  I do however recognize that such a course should involve in depth discussion, and that is hard to do with an online setting.  I agree that this affects  the quality of the course compared to a classroom setting.  But the bottom line is that CAP does not seem to be on the ball with offering these courses locally.  If there are any in the wing at all, they may be several hundred miles away.  For some, that's no problem, but for people like me that are young, working, in college, not rich, etc.  that's impossible.  Not only could I not get away from work and school, but I couldn't afford the gas, hotel, food, etc involved in such a trip. 

So, the question remains, how do we implement a program in which members have the chance to attend the class at minimal personal expense, while retaining the quality offered in a classroom environment?  How about a blended course, with some work online and some in person?  The in person portion could be offered quarterly in each group.  I think most people could make a day trip out of something within group, and each group could have someone certified to teach the course.

I'm just brainstorming here, but I think this needs to be looked at more in depth to find a solution that offers more opportunities to take the course while retaining the quality.

Eclipse

What we need is either authority to run the SLS/CLC at the Group level or some wings to get over themselves and
start running more flexible classes or allowing units to run them locally (though some of the value is lost when it it done this way).

There are some wings that only run them once a year, and sometimes away from the population centers - they need to be run
at least 3-4 times a year and all over the state so that a member doesn't have to drive more than a strong daily commute to get there,
especially when you consider that not all SLS/CLC's are created equal and members driving 4+ hours for someone to just read the slides
will not be a happy camper.

There is no reason that an SLS can't be run on evening's or multiple weekends to be more accommodating, although with that said,
you will never please everyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2011, 12:56:23 AM
What we need is either authority to run the SLS/CLC at the Group level or some wings to get over themselves and
start running more flexible classes or allowing units to run them locally (though some of the value is lost when it it done this way).

There are some wings that only run them once a year, and sometimes away from the population centers - they need to be run
at least 3-4 times a year and all over the state so that a member doesn't have to drive more than a strong daily commute to get there,
especially when you consider that not all SLS/CLC's are created equal and members driving 4+ hours for someone to just read the slides
will not be a happy camper.

There is no reason that an SLS can't be run on evening's or multiple weekends to be more accommodating, although with that said,
you will never please everyone.
[/b]

Ain't that the truth!

It just seems to me CAP has a lot of hurry up and wait with training.   I was recruited to be a PAO.  I have several years of experience in PA and my degree is a BBA in marketing and a BA communications.  I like the idea of CAP but we need to work onb internal communication it seems when it comes to training.  I'm still waiting on my level onbe stuff to be approved "up the ladder" so that I can even be enrolled in the PAO specialty track, and trying to figure out what to do after that.  I've read just about everything on the CAP website for traininfg, but it doesn't seem there is any formal PAO course.  The link to the PAO academy it says is offered annually is dated to about 2008... 

Anyways, thats a little off topic, but along the same lines with the SLS when it comes to scheduling, communicating and doing training.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Woodsy on March 23, 2011, 01:09:15 AM
I'm still waiting on my level onbe stuff to be approved "up the ladder" so that I can even be enrolled in the PAO specialty track, and trying to figure out what to do after that.

Level I should not take more than a few business days to process. It needs no approvals "up the ladder" (unless there is a Wing policy to that effect)
The CAPF-11 can be e-mailed / faxed to NHQ

Woodsy

Quote from: phirons on March 23, 2011, 01:19:12 AM
I'm still waiting on my level onbe stuff to be approved "up the ladder" so that I can even be enrolled in the PAO specialty track, and trying to figure out what to do after that.

Level I should not take more than a few business days to process. It needs no approvals "up the ladder" (unless there is a Wing policy to that effect)

I think the problem was that it was entered into E Services locally, but for some reason didn't process correctly.  They couldn't figure it out so then sent in a paper copy (which I believe they just did in the past couple days.) 

SarDragon

Quote from: Woodsy on March 23, 2011, 01:22:31 AM
Quote from: phirons on March 23, 2011, 01:19:12 AM

I think the problem was that it was entered into E Services locally, but for some reason didn't process correctly.  They couldn't figure it out so then sent in a paper copy (which I believe they just did in the past couple days.)

To the best of my knowledge, completion of Level 1 cannot be done at the local unit through eServices. The signed Form 11 must be sent to NHQ, either via UPS, or electronically.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

peter rabbit

Recently, I've had several people be adamant that the Foundations course and CPPT could be completed online. Unless NHQ is testing something with a few wings, the CAPF11 - signed by both the member and the SQCC or PDO (or authorized designee) - has to be sent in. The fastest way is for the SQCC or PDO to email a scanned copy to lmmeforms@capnhq.gov.

SarDragon

Quote from: peter rabbit on March 23, 2011, 02:00:08 AM
Recently, I've had several people be adamant that the Foundations course and CPPT could be completed online. Unless NHQ is testing something with a few wings, the CAPF11 - signed by both the member and the SQCC or PDO (or authorized designee) - has to be sent in. The fastest way is for the SQCC or PDO to email a scanned copy to lmmeforms@capnhq.gov.

The basic instructional material for Level I is presented online, but is not the entirety of the course. The Summary Conversation with the CC or designated rep is still required, so they know that the new member has actually learned something. And, as noted above, a signed Form 11 must be submitted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AirDX

Quote from: peter rabbit on March 23, 2011, 02:00:08 AM
Original signature not required.  I type the names and CAPIDs into the boxes as requred and then "//SIGNED//" in the signature blocks.  E-mail it in and it's recorded.  Last one I did I e-mailed in on Sunday, it was in e-Services COB on Monday.  Paperless is good.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2011, 11:12:06 PM[I am strongly against the idea of online SLS - defeats the whole purpose.  I'm even more strongly against the idea of taking it online from another wing.

I didn't like the idea either.  I have tried online education several times and have always found it to be inferior.

The course was taught in eight modules lasting two months.  I would have very much preferred eight classes taught in person on a weeknight I could have attended. No such opportunity existed.  It was this or nothing.  It was taught by Wyoming wing but it was actually a national level course.

If it was taught anytime other than Saturdays I would have done it in person.  It isn't.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2011, 11:12:06 PM
Quote from: RVT on March 22, 2011, 09:02:31 PM

I am strongly against the idea of online SLS - defeats the whole purpose.  I'm even more strongly against the idea of taking it
online from another wing.

If one wing wants to dilute their member's abilities, so be it, but they should not be exporting that bad idea to other wings.

CAP is not a correspondence course, the more it becomes one, the closer we are to being done.
Absolutely!  But if you are relying on SLS to develop your members.......you are sadly mistaken.

SLS is a hoop to jump through......you develop good leaders by mentoring them and giving them meaningful jobs to develop their skills.....16 hours in a class room or on line will do nothing for you either way.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP