Main Menu

Can I Go To Any SLS?

Started by ProdigalJim, March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PM

SarDragon

SLS is just another tool in the box. It presents useful information above and beyond Level I, that allows members to do their jobs better in the units.

When I took it in 1989, it *was* just a hoop, based on the quality of the course at the time, and the circumstances of my attendance (small group, and only one instructor). Today's SLS is much better. I was an instructor at one a couple of years ago, and it was a pleasure to teach and watch.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

I did SLS and CLC in other Wings. There was the advantage of learning how things are done outside your local area.

As far as SLS not being available – do it yourself. Get together with neighboring squadrons and put on a course. They must have folks who need it as well.

Reading the comments about squadrons not knowing how to submit a Form 11 for Level I – I just don't know what to say.

RVT

Quote from: lordmonar on March 23, 2011, 04:59:47 AMSLS is a hoop to jump through......you develop good leaders by mentoring them and giving them meaningful jobs to develop their skills.....16 hours in a class room or on line will do nothing for you either way.

In my case its a catch up hoop.  I am taking the classes a CAP member would normally take to get to the rank I am already wearing from military service.  I'm pretty sure the Army Officer Advance Course covered the leadership stuff.  There was some material related to running a volunteer organization I still needed though.

CAPChap219

Quote from: RVT on March 22, 2011, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PMSo if my wing doesn't seem to have an SLS on the schedule, can I go to someone else's (presuming, of course, that I get blessing from my wing to do so)? Or do I have to wait until they organize an SLS in my own wing?

I just did the online SLS conducted by Wyoming Wing, and I'm in Los Angeles.  I work on Saturday.

Is there a web page for the Wyoming Wing online SLS?

Thanks

Chappie

Quote from: CAPChap219 on July 09, 2011, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: RVT on March 22, 2011, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 22, 2011, 07:58:38 PMSo if my wing doesn't seem to have an SLS on the schedule, can I go to someone else's (presuming, of course, that I get blessing from my wing to do so)? Or do I have to wait until they organize an SLS in my own wing?

I just did the online SLS conducted by Wyoming Wing, and I'm in Los Angeles.  I work on Saturday.

Is there a web page for the Wyoming Wing online SLS?

Thanks

From the PCR Chaplain Corps Newsletter - "The Western Watch"   (http://hc.pcr.cap.gov/current_news.html)

On-line CLC & SLS are open to all eligible candidateswho would not otherwise be able to attend in residence. To register for either course click this
link which takes you to the On-line Courses & Exams page in CAP University.
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/online_courses__exams.cfm
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on March 23, 2011, 10:23:40 AM
SLS is just another tool in the box. It presents useful information above and beyond Level I, that allows members to do their jobs better in the units.

When I took it in 1989, it *was* just a hoop, based on the quality of the course at the time, and the circumstances of my attendance (small group, and only one instructor). Today's SLS is much better. I was an instructor at one a couple of years ago, and it was a pleasure to teach and watch.

Would concur that today's SLS is much better.  I like the curriculum that has been developed -- and it is standardized.  For several years I had taught at both SLS/CLS and the courses sometimes varied from location to location.  Seemed like it could have been feast or famine depending on the staffing.  At least now there is some guarantee that the majority of the coursework would be presented at each SLS/CLC.  Now how it is presented is a different story  :o
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

EMT-83

Yup, it's all in the presentation - we all know about Death By PowerPoint.