Main Menu

Duty Promotion Process

Started by simbriale, March 05, 2011, 10:10:43 PM

simbriale

Quick question:

How does this whole duty promotion thing work?  I've just started to ease my way back into CAP. I'm a O-3 active duty and a 1st Lt in CAP (I also have 18+ months as a 1st Lt, Level 2 and senior rating in Cadet Programs). I've heard about these "instant eservices promotions" that start with a simple click of a button by your CO.  Or is the only option the standard mail in form?  My Squadron Commander doesn't really know the process either.  Anyone know the quickest way to make this happen?  Thanks in advance.

arajca

On the right side, under Restricted Applications should be a link for "MEMBERSHIP" Click that. Then find "Duty Performance" Click that. Enter the CAPID and follow the instructions. You may not have access to it depending on your duty assignment.

Camas

I believe that, at the unit level, only commanders and personnel officers have access to the "duty promotion" restricted application in e-services. Ask your personnel officer (if you have one in your unit) to place your name into the system. It then goes to your unit commander. Once approved at the unit level this goes to your group (if you have them) or wing commander for final approval.

Please remember that completion of Level II doesn't automatically grant you this promotion. You should be performing in an exemplary manner in accordance with CAPR 35-1 para 2-1a.

capmaj

Plus Captain and above cannot be done on the squadron level.

arajca

It is initiated at the squadron level, but Capt requires Group approval, Maj, Wing, and Lt Col, region.

simbriale

Thanks all. Squadron commander already approved it for both completion of Level II and my current active duty rank. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it processed quickly. Thanks again.

SarDragon

Quote from: simbriale on March 06, 2011, 01:11:14 AM
Thanks all. Squadron commander already approved it for both completion of Level II and my current active duty rank. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it processed quickly. Thanks again.

Both Level II and the AD promotion require real paperwork. Only duty performance promotions can be done through eServices.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: simbriale on March 06, 2011, 01:11:14 AM

If you have completed level II and TIG, then you will be three flags green and your cc can submit the request.

If you want to be promoted based on your commensurate military grade, then your cc sends a form 2 along with proper substatiation direct to NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

The CAPF 2 for promotion to Capt would need to be approved by Group/CC (or Wing/CC if there are no groups) before being sent to NHQ.

davidsinn

Quote from: ß τ ε on March 06, 2011, 03:58:29 AM
The CAPF 2 for promotion to Capt would need to be approved by Group/CC (or Wing/CC if there are no groups) before being sent to NHQ.

Just use the online system and get it done instantly and avoid the paperwork.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Slim

This is all assuming that the OP has the professional development and TIG complete for level II. 

If the OP is attempting to come into CAP using his military grade, it's not a duty performance promotion.  It's a special appointment, which still requires a CAPF 2 and supporting documentation approved by the unit commander and group/wing commander, who then forwards it to NHQ to be recorded.

Slim

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Slim on March 06, 2011, 06:19:50 AM
This is all assuming that the OP has the professional development and TIG complete for level II. 

If the OP is attempting to come into CAP using his military grade, it's not a duty performance promotion.  It's a special appointment, which still requires a CAPF 2 and supporting documentation approved by the unit commander and group/wing commander, who then forwards it to NHQ to be recorded.

Quote from: simbriale on March 05, 2011, 10:10:43 PM
I'm a O-3 active duty and a 1st Lt in CAP (I also have 18+ months as a 1st Lt, Level 2 and senior rating in Cadet Programs).

He appears to be qualified to be promoted to Captain via duty performance OR by active duty grade.   

CS

TIG has nothing to do with "performing in an exemplary manner", a required element of promotion under duty performance.  If he is an active O-3 than the route is for equivalent rank.  He clearly stated that he is just getting back into CAP so duty performance would most likely be out as he hasn't met the requirement for "performing in an exemplary manner",  for an 18 month period.

MSG Mac

While I agree with the premise that he should be going the Military Equivalent appointment, if he haad a break in service. The "18" months requirement is cumulative not  consecutive for TIG appointments to Captain.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CS

Agreed!  His initial statement that he was easing back into CAP and had 18 months would have led me to believe this was time he wasn't actively particpating.

simbriale

I'll clarify:

My squadron commander and I were trying to determine the fastest route to promote me. She agrees I rate the promotion either by my completion of level II, my PD and my TIG as 1st Lt OR my current AD rank. I was a cadet from 2001 to 2008, received my Eaker so I got 1st Lt and maintained my membership, but wasn't really active until about a month ago.  I had heard people mention the "one click promotions" on eservices, so I just wanted to ask if that was an option. It sounds like it isn't for me and we need to do it the old fashion way - correct? Thanks for all the help.

Eclipse

Exemplary manner is between you and the Unit CC.

If you are reaching for Captain, whether you do it as a Duty Promotion or Special Appointment, both will need to be approved
at the next level (Group or Wing).

The issue then is your qualification - for military equivalence, either you are or you aren't.  For Duty promotion, your "active service" is more subjective.

My advice would be to have your unit CC contact the Group CC and discuss it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: simbriale on March 06, 2011, 11:14:53 PM
I'll clarify:

My squadron commander and I were trying to determine the fastest route to promote me. She agrees I rate the promotion either by my completion of level II, my PD and my TIG as 1st Lt OR my current AD rank. I was a cadet from 2001 to 2008, received my Eaker so I got 1st Lt and maintained my membership, but wasn't really active until about a month ago.  I had heard people mention the "one click promotions" on eservices, so I just wanted to ask if that was an option. It sounds like it isn't for me and we need to do it the old fashion way - correct? Thanks for all the help.

I'm curious about something. You were a cadet until 2008, and you are an active duty O-3?
The timeline doesn't seem to fit.

simbriale

Not really - commissioned on December 7th, 2007 as a 0-2 due to my training and education as a PA, now 3 years later I'm an O-3.

Either way I qualify for Captain and my Squadron Commander has approved the promotion - just trying to find out the best way to process it. We are aware the the next level will need to sign off, but it sounds like if it's paper or online someone in a admin billet will have to either sign approved or click approved.  I simply wanted to know if either the Level II completion or military rank equivalent can be done online. It sounds like they cant (or shouldn't be) and the proper way to process either path is CAPF2.  Thank you all for the assistance.

ßτε

Quote from: trecker on March 07, 2011, 12:24:33 AM
Not really - commissioned on December 7th, 2007 as a 0-2 due to my training and education as a PA, now 3 years later I'm an O-3.

How were you commissioned in 2007, yet a cadet in 2008?

Quote from: trecker on March 07, 2011, 12:24:33 AMEither way I qualify for Captain and my Squadron Commander has approved the promotion - just trying to find out the best way to process it. We are aware the the next level will need to sign off, but it sounds like if it's paper or online someone in a admin billet will have to either sign approved or click approved.  I simply wanted to know if either the Level II completion or military rank equivalent can be done online. It sounds like they cant (or shouldn't be) and the proper way to process either path is CAPF2.  Thank you all for the assistance.
If you satisfy the requirements for Duty Performance promotion to Captain, the promotion can be initiated, and eventually approved, in eServices. eServices checks the age requirement (age 21), PD requirement (Level II), and TIG requirement (18 mo as 1st Lt). If all of those are complete, your commander or personnel officer can initiate the online promotion. The unit commander would then approve in the Commander's Corner. It will then go to the next level (either group or wing) where the commander can approve in Commander's Corner.

If you go the O-3 military route, you will need to use a CAPF 2.