Main Menu

Boonie Cover

Started by c/LTCOLorbust, December 26, 2006, 01:46:59 AM

Major_Chuck

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here...why not wear distinctive uniform items that increase morale and allow the member to be proud of an accomplishment?  I feel it is counter productive to deny someone in an auxiliarist status or active/reserve duty status to wear something that they earned and want to exclaim to the the world that they accomplished.

There are times when we need to adhere to CAPM 39-1 and then there are times we need to recognize the achievements, accomplishments, and pride that a member may have by accomplishing a hard earned feat.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Hawk200

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 29, 2006, 03:17:33 AM
I'm going to play Devils Advocate here...why not wear distinctive uniform items that increase morale and allow the member to be proud of an accomplishment?  I feel it is counter productive to deny someone in an auxiliarist status or active/reserve duty status to wear something that they earned and want to exclaim to the the world that they accomplished.

There are times when we need to adhere to CAPM 39-1 and then there are times we need to recognize the achievements, accomplishments, and pride that a member may have by accomplishing a hard earned feat.

Agreed. However, the use of a boonie hat by Civil Air Patrol has been denied by the Air Force. Their reasoning is that the boonie hat is a "combat" related piece of headgear (at least that's what I've been told) and there is no need for it in a non-combatant organization.

Whether or not you buy that, is up to you.

Hotel 179

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 29, 2006, 03:50:07 AM
Their reasoning is that the boonie hat is a "combat" related piece of headgear (at least that's what I've been told) and there is no need for it in a non-combatant organization.

And BATTLE dress uniforms in CAMMO.....who ya hidin' from?  ME up in the plane, that's who!

Not to worry...When I flip on my foward-looking bi-scopic tri-focals I'll see you.

>:D

Semper vi,

Quote tags - MIKE
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 29, 2006, 03:50:07 AM
Agreed. However, the use of a boonie hat by Civil Air Patrol has been denied by the Air Force. Their reasoning is that the boonie hat is a "combat" related piece of headgear (at least that's what I've been told) and there is no need for it in a non-combatant organization.

Whether or not you buy that, is up to you.

The funny thing is...even though the boonie hat is authorized for wear by the USAF....you hardly ever find anyone who is willing to do so!  Only with the 1st Combat Comm Squadron has there ever been a totally unauthorized, unofficial policy of wearing them.  Even then...we were careful where and when we wore them.  The few places where they make sense to wear them...they either were in civilian cloths or they were specifically forbidden.

So go figure.....why would the USAF say no to CAP about a piece of uniform they don't even wear?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hotel 179

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2006, 06:01:21 AM
Only with the 1st Combat Comm Squadron has there ever been a totally unauthorized, unofficial policy of wearing them. 

I Googled the history of the military cap.  Since the very earliest days of this country there have been soldiers who have worn equipment that was "unauthorized" and some of these variations have eventually made their way into the "official" wear.

One of the variations of the boonie was reversable with ORANGE on the inside..... ;)

Semper vi,
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2006, 06:01:21 AM

So go figure.....why would the USAF say no to CAP about a piece of uniform they don't even wear?

An interesting point. When I was Army Guard, I was issued a boonie hat. I asked my fellow platoon members when these would actually be worn...

The response: "Well, um, sometimes when you're in the field....and, uhh, maybe some other times."

Every place we ever went for AT, we were told not to wear boonies. The Army doesn't even wear it that much.

MattPHS2002

Now I have to ask this question here, what makes the boonie hat so special? To me its just another type of hat.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

Hawk200

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 29, 2006, 08:23:12 PM
Now I have to ask this question here, what makes the boonie hat so special? To me its just another type of hat.

Depends on what context you're asking

1. Will keep sun and rain of your face, and most of your neck. Tends to be a little looser fit, and more comfortable.

2. The military considers it a "combat" related piece of headgear. Which makes our lowly auxiliary unworthy of it's wear.

Hope that helps.

MattPHS2002

I guess what I'm trying to ask is "why is it considered a combat item?" its a hat:)
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

Hawk200

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 29, 2006, 08:40:58 PM
I guess what I'm trying to ask is "why is it considered a combat item?" its a hat:)

That's the same question everybody is asking. The military does have a tendency to take ownership of certain things, and has issues with other people using them. Kind of "This is my sandbox! I don't want you playing here!"

The Air Force has the same issue with the A2 Leather Jacket. They give it to their aircrew, and don't want anyone else wearing it as a uniform item.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 29, 2006, 09:27:39 PM
Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 29, 2006, 08:40:58 PM

That's the same question everybody is asking. The military does have a tendency to take ownership of certain things, and has issues with other people using them. Kind of "This is my sandbox! I don't want you playing here!"

The Air Force has the same issue with the A2 Leather Jacket. They give it to their aircrew, and don't want anyone else wearing it as a uniform item.
They are even stingy with giving it to all the aircrew....if the PTB (Powers That Be) had their way, only Pilots (and fighter pilots at that) could wear the flight jacket.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

The Boonie hat is viewed as an affectation, like you think of yourself to be some kind of Ranger-Danger/LRRP/Sapper/Recon/SEAL dude.  The fact that it actually has some utility is obscured by the fact that folks who have (usually) never been on the far side of the ocean think that you are trying to be some kind of "Playa" by wearing a bush hat.

We wore them in Honduras, until some stateside general got his panties in a bunch about it.  Then we had to ditch them.  When he left and a new general came in, we put them back on, and nothing was said.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Observations: The Boonie Cover has been, in my experience, easier to find and for equal or less money than a BDU cover.

Observations: I don't really see a need for anyone outside of the South or South West to wear one.  It has utility in the deserts of New Mexico or Nevada (where the sun might actually cause sun stroke, skin cancers and the like).  In that case, a pith helmet or campaign hat might serve the same purpose.

Conclusion: As for looking cool...I don't think we need a Boonie Cover.  Looking cool is not part of the CAP mission.  It feeds the arguements that see CAP as a group of posers and pretenders. 

However, if they are introduced for their utility...I think they do have a purpose in certain environments.

(here comes that sinking feeling) :-\
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Just to throw some fuel  on the fire, a blue boonie hat can be worn by CG Aux boatcrews in some circumstances....

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on December 30, 2006, 01:32:03 AM
Just to throw some fuel  on the fire, a blue boonie hat can be worn by CG Aux boatcrews in some circumstances....

You mean the Tilley?  That's not exactly a boonie and it's freak'n 'spensive.

Still looking for a nice low profile ball cap with the embroidery.   
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Picky, picky....Its pretty much a boonie hat. 

JohnKachenmeister

No, it ain't.  Its even uglier than a boonie hat, if that's possible.
Another former CAP officer

CAP428

yeah, that thing is uber-ugly.  what is that.  I usually don't really care much about what I wear, it's usually t-shirt and jeans unless I'm in CAP uniform or I have to dress up for something, but I wouldn't be caught DEAD in that thing.

It looks like some sort of modified Amish gear.

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP428 on December 30, 2006, 05:09:30 AM

It looks like some sort of modified Amish gear.

I was about to post that.  It has a 19th century "parson" sort of look.

Or, if you're Roman Catholic, a Galero...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

sandman

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 30, 2006, 05:06:59 AM
No, it ain't.  Its even uglier than a boonie hat, if that's possible.
I've got the Tilley. Yep, expensive. Yep, a bit ugly.
Keeps the sun off okay when riding slow on my PWC operational facility. I probably wouldn't wear it with any other CG uniform though.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command