Operation "Drop In"

Started by RiverAux, December 25, 2006, 02:49:48 AM

Al Sayre

They already make them.  They are known as EAD's (Electronic Alraming Dosimeters).  As some of you all know, I work at a nuke plant.  We wear these whenever we go inside the plant.  They work with a computer reader that sets the alarm for both dose rate and total allowable dose based on the job you are doing.  It would be quite easy to set them to any value you wanted for monitoring purposes.  They will read a field as low as 1 mR/hr.  I think they cost about $200 each + you would have to have the reader and software located somewhere accessable to each member who is carrying one, so figure 2 or three setups per wing so they could be spaced out over a decent sized area. 

However,  I'm not sure if I would want to wear one for the purpose of surreptitiously doing radiation monitoring.  What happens when you walk into Abdul & Mohammeds Stop & Rob and the thing starts going off... The only way to silence the alarm is to leave the radiation field.  You might be putting people in imminent danger if they catch on.  I'd say a good old PIC in your pocket would be a better choice if you are actively looking for radiation fields on the QT.  Read it before and after...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

I suspect what they were thinking of doing is just mapping out where known radiation sources are so that in the case of an emergency situation the don't waste time trying to figure out what is going on at known sites.   I really doubt that this would be part of any sort of strategy to catch bad guys since it would be so incredibly random, but might make it easier to do should that time come. 

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on December 26, 2006, 04:03:51 PM
I suspect what they were thinking of doing is just mapping out where known radiation sources are so that in the case of an emergency situation the don't waste time trying to figure out what is going on at known sites.   I really doubt that this would be part of any sort of strategy to catch bad guys since it would be so incredibly random, but might make it easier to do should that time come. 
Mapping doesn't work well with what they're talking about. This thing sounds like a waste of time to me. There's really good tech out tehre from Sandia that can do visual representation mapping & allow for signal search style triangulation on a stronger target... dump that into the border/port/transportation route coverage role. That's one hell of a mission that's very doable & easy to get funded & very much does NOT violate PCA. I don't see why they'd even waste time with this other crap.