Becoming a pilot

Started by Raja1020, February 21, 2011, 08:17:44 PM

Thrashed

I'm just trying to get them motivated and up in the air.

Save the triangle thingy

lzu2

Quote from: Thrash on February 25, 2011, 02:01:50 AM
I'm currently teaching a ground school for 9 people.  5 are cadets. 7 Saturdays for free.

Excellent! Good for you for doing this. I can reinforce that there's a LOT more to learning to fly than just jumping into an airplane with a CFI. There is a lot of aeronautical knowledge to learn, and not just for the written test, either!

Delivered properly to motivated cadets, the ground training can be very interesting, fun, and motivational. It doesn't have to be dry old recitations of Bernoulli's Principle.

- Russ

CapperPilot

I have a question as a new CAP pilot.  If my son or daughter were to join CAP as a Cadet, would they be allowed to fly with me, not on mission flights of course, but when I'm simply doing proficiency flying? I can't find anything on the matter, except for the possible Cadet Protection requirement of needing two senior members present for any function involving Cadets. It seems silly if the Cadet is your Son or Daughter, but maybe there is something else out there that I missed.  I was reading on here that there is no restriction on the O-rides cadets can take part in, it's just that CAP won't reimburse for more than the two a year.  If I'm paying out of pocket for my own proficiency (say a C17), is there anything banning a son or daughter Cadet from riding along?  Thanks for any info you guys can give.

davidsinn

Quote from: CapperPilot on March 05, 2011, 04:54:14 PM
except for the possible Cadet Protection requirement of needing two senior members present for any function involving Cadets.

This is a myth. You only need two SM on overnight activities. Doing a less than day long activity only one SM is required.

Also CAP will reimburse more than two orides per year upto a total of six for a single cadet. However that is taking away flights from other cadets because the budget is only so big per year. You can self fund as many orides as you want.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

From CAPR 60-1:

Only pilots that are qualified as CAP Instructors, Cadet/AFROTC/AFJROTC Orientation Pilots, or SAR/DR or Transport Mission Pilots (during Supervised Missions) may carry CAP cadets as passengers or crew members. At no time may a pilot who is a CAP Cadet carry another CAP Cadet as a passenger or crew member.

Aircraft will not carry CAP or AFROTC/AFJROTC cadets on board during the first 10 tach hours following an engine change, major overhaul, or replacement of cylinders/magnetos.

CapperPilot

OK Thanks guys!  I am an AFROTC and cadet O-ride rated pilot, and my son wants to join next month. He's turning 12.  I just didn't know if he would be allowed to fly with me as a cadet, when i'm going up for a proficiency flight c-17.  From what I'm reading there shouldn't be any restriction.