Main Menu

Tie Tack?

Started by ElectricPenguin, February 07, 2011, 08:03:50 PM

NCRblues

My lord, we will find anything to argue over.... ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RVT

Just don't get me started on the doubleknit tie..

Chappie

Quote from: NCRblues on April 08, 2011, 10:36:54 PM

I think I have found a way to settle this dispute of tie tack vs tie bar -- hand me my nail gun.  >:D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

HGjunkie

Quote from: Chappie on April 14, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

I think I have found a way to settle this dispute of tie tack vs tie bar -- hand me my nail gun.  >:D

Would you like super-sized nails in that sir?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 14, 2011, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: Chappie on April 14, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

Would you like super-sized nails in that sir?

6" barn spikes should do it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: RVT on April 08, 2011, 08:33:36 PMWorrying about whatever piece of insignia is on it seems pretty trivial.

Which could be said for most of our bling individually, but those trivialities add up after a while.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Two pages so far, anyone up for trying to make four?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

HGjunkie

Quote from: bosshawk on April 14, 2011, 11:27:52 PM
Two pages so far, anyone up for trying to make four?

Challenge accepted.  8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2011, 09:16:26 PM
Quote from: RVT on April 08, 2011, 08:33:36 PMWorrying about whatever piece of insignia is on it seems pretty trivial.
Which could be said for most of our bling individually, but those trivialities add up after a while.

WAY back before the slide on ranks (pre-1976 I think) it used to matter because when you took your coat off the tie tac / tie bar was the only piece of insignia left on you anywhere.  But it hasn't made a difference in what, 35 years?

Hawk200

Quote from: RVT on April 15, 2011, 01:20:51 AM

WAY back before the slide on ranks (pre-1976 I think) it used to matter because when you took your coat off the tie tac / tie bar was the only piece of insignia left on you anywhere.  But it hasn't made a difference in what, 35 years?
Nice switch there RVT. I prefer wintergreen.

MSG Mac

Quote from: RVT on April 15, 2011, 01:20:51 AM

Which is why the grade slides were introduced. The story I've heard is that the CofS of the Air Force (Davy Jones ) walked into an office and couldn't tell who was who.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RVT

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 15, 2011, 02:15:42 AMWhich is why the grade slides were introduced. The story I've heard is that the CofS of the Air Force (Davy Jones ) walked into an office and couldn't tell who was who.

I was in the tan shirt army - at least in our case you could tell who the officers were.  I seem to remember having a branch insignia on mine - even after the introduction of rank slides, as when the army copied the USAF on that one we didn't put branch on the slides like everybody thought.  Then we made the officers green and the enlisted slides black, which seemed backwards.

But I still needed an insignia of branch somewhere, so on the tie tac it went.  Until we started wearing mostly short sleeves, then nobody knew after that.

flyboy53

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 07, 2011, 08:03:50 PM
Im trying to find regs on this but i cant seem to find any... What Type of tie tacks can you wear? Is there an option in this? Just wondering.

The short answer to your question is a tie bar or tie tack with your appropriate rank, the CAP crest, or if you wear the Air Force uniform, you can wear one with the Air Force coat of arms, the Hap Arnold winged star or the current stylized winged star. Make sure that it is chromed or polished to a high luster shine.

There is a tie tack and cuff links with the Air Force crest that is chromed but the field on the crest is an enameled blue. Those could be found at BXs and the Air Force Museum Gift Shop but were never authorized for the uniform.

I still wear the same military tie tack and cuff links from active duty. That set is a chromed 1/20th silver-filled set that has the Air Force Coat of Arms. The cuff link crests are on an oval back. I once found a similar set made of sterling silver that shined because they had been polished. That cuff link set, with the crest set on a round back, came from sometime between the Korean and Vietnam wars and went to another CAP officer. I kept the tie tack.

Al Sayre

I usually wear my USN silver fouled anchor tie tac with the blazer.  Just to see if anyone notices... most don't.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Thrashed

Solution: don't wear a tie. Problem solved.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

Cool Mace

Quote from: Thrash on April 15, 2011, 02:11:01 PM
Solution: don't wear a tie. Problem solved.  ;D

But it that always an option?

I don't see why you HAVE to have one. I would say you don't HAVE to have it. But, others say you do, and some say you don't...
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

yeahididthat

We are gonna fight over anything and everything. also im all for a tie tack i think tie bars look bad only thing about tie tacks i hate is that it keeps spinning around.

ElectricPenguin

Thought that this thread wouldof been dead by now???

yeahididthat

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 27, 2011, 04:36:23 PM
Thought that this thread wouldof been dead by now???

it doesnt matter how long its been sense someone replied as long as people answers questions on the forum

Hawk200

Who wants to start the countdown?