Main Menu

You know you are a CAP cadet if...

Started by titanII, January 26, 2011, 02:53:10 AM

ES Ninja

You know you're a CAP cadet if:
* You can carry on a full conversation with someone where nearly every other word is an acronym. (i.e.  Today we got a call from our GTL because an ELT went off, so we had to get a UDF team together, change into BDUs, grab our DHFs, L-pers, and 24 hour gear, and report to base at 1430 hrs for the SAR mission.)
* Your debate partner introduces you to her friends as "the army girl who flies planes and carries a knife."
* You've gotten confused looks when someone asks you for the time, and you answer "1836 hrs."
* You've checked baggage for free on Delta when flying to NBB because they counted your CAPID as a military ID.
* You constantly make fun of JROTC and the Boy Scouts because your CAP squadron is so much more squared away.
* You have accidentally answered "Hooah" when the pastor at church asks, "Amen?" And frequently do so when anyone asks, "Do you understand?" or "Are you ready?"
* Your friends know that if you don't respond when they call your first name, they can get a response by calling your last name.
* You've initiated a pushup contest at your church youth group, and won.
* Your friends will purposefully change their gait every few seconds when walking with you just to throw you off step, but in three steps you are subconsciously back in step with them - and it drives them crazy!
* You've gone to Walmart in BDUs and been thanked by one person for serving your country, then moments later been harangued by another for "killing innocent civilians."
* You've skipped out on parties because your ground team was activated to search for an ELT, and you are the only GTL in the area.
* You've had to explain to a confused non-CAP friend, "Its a CAP thing."
* Nearly every picture of you on facebook is of you in uniform, or at a CAP activity.
* Your email signature is your official CAP signature because most of your contacts are in CAP, and (sometimes) you delete it when emailing a non-CAP person.
* Your voicemail on your cell says, "You've reached Cadet (rank) (name)..."
* Most of your friends are in CAP, call you by your last name, and have never seen you in "civvies." The one time you met one of them outside a CAP activity and not in uniform, they didn't recognize you.
* You started yelling at the TV when the singer skipped a line of the National Anthem at the Superbowl.
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

Dad2-4

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 15, 2011, 07:56:44 PM

* You've gone to Walmart in BDUs .....
???  Shame on you, unless it was a REAL emergency, although I can't think of any.

ES Ninja

According to regulation, you can stay in uniform when traveling to or from meetings, or during search and rescue missions. If you need to stop at Walmart on the way there/home to pick something up, that's totally legit. And if you have to stop at Walmart during a SAREX or GSAR to pick up supplies/food for your (or someone else's) 24 hr pack, that's also legit.
NCWG CAC Vice Chair

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Dad2-4 on March 16, 2011, 07:54:58 AM

???  Shame on you, unless it was a REAL emergency, although I can't think of any.
The regulation does stipulate that you may make necessary stops. Getting dinner on the way home sounds like a necessary stop to me, and where better than Walmart?

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 16, 2011, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on March 16, 2011, 07:54:58 AM

The regulation does stipulate that you may make necessary stops. Getting dinner on the way home sounds like a necessary stop to me, and where better than Walmart?
Ive had to go to walmart before in my BDU's because my dad + Senior Member had to grab some milk before everything closed.

Dad2-4

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 16, 2011, 03:16:16 PM

Don't get me wrong because I'm far from perfect and on rare occasions things come up, and I'm sure if the regs state it you can help me locate it. So far all I've found in CAPM 39-1, page 6, Table 1-1 indicates "Do not wear" the CAP uniform, "more than 1 hour following the close of the activity except for traveltime to and from such activities, for which the uniform is specified
(seminars, conferences, NEC, or NB meetings).
I don't see "necessary stops" mentioned.

ES Ninja

The point of that regulation is to ensure cadets do not go around wearing their uniform to show off. If you live over an hour away from your meeting, and need to make a stop at the store (or to get gas!) on the way home, that is perfectly understandable. When doing so, though, you must ensure you are carrying yourself in a professional way that brings honor to the military. And that is the point of that regulation - NOT to make you change uniform halfway home.
NCWG CAC Vice Chair

BillB

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A SENIOR MEMBER  when it turns into a uniform thread
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Reno

WIWAC all the senior NCOs and Officers would go to Waffle House after the meeting. On one occation we had active duty Air Force eating with us. They had been called down from LRAFB to help with flood control or something in our area. They thought we were some sort of reserve unit also there to help, never caught on we were cadets.

Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

Fubar

Quote from: Reno on March 17, 2011, 03:23:13 PM
WIWAC all the senior NCOs and Officers would go to Waffle House after the meeting. On one occation we had active duty Air Force eating with us. They had been called down from LRAFB to help with flood control or something in our area. They thought we were some sort of reserve unit also there to help, never caught on we were cadets.

It always cracks me up when I see a member of the public stop a 12 or 13 year old cadet that's in uniform and thank them for their military service. The camera may add 10 pounds, but apparently BDUs/Blues add 10 years  ;D

AngelWings

You know your a CAP cadet if your wall is made to hold your uniforms :)

Reno

Quote from: Fubar on March 17, 2011, 10:11:49 PM
Quote from: Reno on March 17, 2011, 03:23:13 PM

It always cracks me up when I see a member of the public stop a 12 or 13 year old cadet that's in uniform and thank them for their military service. The camera may add 10 pounds, but apparently BDUs/Blues add 10 years  ;D

haha yeah, I've seen that once or twice, we were all 18ish so I can understand why they might mistake us for regulars.
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP

shlebz

you bring your leadership/ aerospace book to study during your classes.

C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Reno

Quote from: shlebz on March 20, 2011, 03:44:20 PM
you bring your leadership/ aerospace book to study during your classes.

hahaha guilty.
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP

ES Ninja

* if you wear your new combat boots everywhere the month before encampment to break them in :-)
NCWG CAC Vice Chair

SarDragon

You know you're a cadet when you're too lazy to use the writing skills your teachers have been trying to teach you in school.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

You know you're a cadet when you've seen this topic on 2 different forums now...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

commando1

Getting back on topic...You know you are a CAP cadet when at the end of a summer your don't have a farmer's tan...you have BDU tan in a nice tight line around your arm  8)
Non Timebo Mala