2011 Combat Control Orientation Course

Started by Spartan, January 06, 2011, 04:16:00 AM

Spartan

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to inform you of a unique and challenging training opportunity.  The Combat Control Orientation Course (CCOC) is a 1 week course held from 31 July through 6 August 2011 at Pope AFB, NC.  CCOC is a physically and mentally challenging course that provides a view into the Air Force Special Tactics mission and the Combat Control career field.  CCOC is run by North Carolina Wing and the USAF Combat Control School at Pope AFB.  Some of the areas covered are;

-History and heritage of Special Tactics & USAF Combat Control
-Terminal attack control training and capabilities
-Weapons familiarization and hands on training with individual weapons systems
-Familiarization with air traffic control in a tactical environment
-Hands on familiarization of ground training for static-line parachute operations
-Hands on familiarization of military freefall operations to include ground and vertical wind tunnel training
-Daily individual and team physical fitness training

CCOC student slots are open to both cadets and senior members.  Cadets must be 15 or older, have completed the Wright Brothers Achievement and graduated from a CAP encampment.  Senior members must be a 2d Lt/FO or higher and have completed their Level I.  Both cadet and senior member candidates must be in physical category I (Unrestricted) and pass a physical assessment prior to sending in their application for selection.  The physical assessment is to ensure the students are capable of safely completing very physically demanding training.  Cost for students is $180.00.  Because of the logistics involved with the course, there is a hard limit of 20 primary slots.  If there are more than 20 individuals who meet all requirements, there will be a number of individuals placed into secondary slots in order of merit.

The application deadline to the 2011 CCOC class is 15 May 2011.  Applications must be time stamped or post marked no later than 2359 15 May 2011.  Selection for primary slots will be conducted by a paper board on 1 June 2011.  Applications will be considered on the following criteria:

-Completed CAPF 31, CAPF 60,
-Applicable endorsements from guardians, squadron, group and wing commanders or their representatives.  Please note that if you are not a member of NC Wing, you must have your wing commander's endorsement to attend CCOC.
-Passing physical assessment (See CCOC website for assessment worksheet)
-PROFESSIONAL photo attached to CAPF 31(Optional)

Interested individuals can review the course website http://www.capnc007.org/ccoc/usafccoc.html for further information and for applicable forms.   Please note that the website is being updated soon and may not be available.  For a glimpse of what CCOC is like, there are two videos on YouTube which can be viewed.  The 2009 class video can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmxBnKV5sA .  The 2010 class video is experiencing technical difficulties with sound, but can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRbWIlLyuQ&feature=related .

Completed applications can be scanned to a PDF file and sent electronically to ccoc-xo@ncwg.cap.gov or by snail mail to the following address:

CCOC-XO
2128 Buckhorn Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28304

Questions may be directed to the Executive Officer at ccoc-xo@ncwg.cap.gov or the Course Director at ccoc-cc@ncwg.cap.gov

Aaron Schaak, 1st Lt, CAP
                  Executive Officer
                  2011 CCOC

Ozzy

Oh I'd so love to do it but I won't know what my summer is going to be like until late May after I get back from AIT. Needs of the Army :-/ Perhaps 2012.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Spartan

Quote from: Ozzy on January 06, 2011, 07:39:57 PM
Perhaps 2012.

We will be there in 2012 as well.  Mark it on your callender, most likely the first week of august again.

MikeS

Looks Awesome
Quote from: Spartan on January 06, 2011, 04:16:00 AM

The application deadline to the 2011 CCOC class is 15 May 2011.  Applications must be time stamped or post marked no later than 2359 15 May 2011.  Selection for primary slots will be conducted by a paper board on 1 June 2011.  Applications will be considered on the following criteria:

-Completed CAPF 31, CAPF 60,
-Applicable endorsements from guardians, squadron, group and wing commanders or their representatives.  Please note that if you are not a member of NC Wing, you must have your wing commander's endorsement to attend CCOC.
-Passing physical assessment (See CCOC website for assessment worksheet)
-PROFESSIONAL photo attached to CAPF 31(Optional)

^^ Just confirming, is that all we need for the application?

Spartan

Yes, for the selection process for a primary slot, this is all that is required.  Out of these applications we receive, the 20 best applications that meet the requirements will be chosen for primary slots.  The remaining qualified individuals will be given a numbered secondary slot based on the merit of their application and their Physical Assessment.  Those 20 individuals and anyone on the secondary list will be given further instruction about additional paperwork required for the course.

A few things that will immediately get your application rejected:
-Incomplete forms
-Missing endorsements from chain of command or parent/guardian
-Illegible handwriting
-Blatant integrity violations
-Failure to meet suspense date
-Unprofessional application photo
-Lack of graduation from CAP encampment
-Failure of the Physical Assessment

If you are not from NC wing, you need your Wing Commander's or designated representative's endorsement on P.4 of your CAPF 31.  Plan ahead and remember, it is ultimately your responsibility to get your application to the XO before 15 May 2011 ends.  Applications with time stamps and post marks from after this suspense date will be rejected without extenuating circumstances.  "I forgot" doesn't count as an extenuating circumstance.

Spartan

We are still having technical difficulties with our website.  The physical assessment worksheet for this year is available on request from ccoc-xo@ncwg.cap.gov.

Daniel

This is one of those activities that make me envy CAT I cadets...

Good luck to all who apply and I look forward to see photos :)
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

N Harmon

Quote from: Spartan on January 06, 2011, 04:16:00 AMThe physical assessment is to ensure the students are capable of safely completing very physically demanding training.

What training at CCOC would be considered unsafe if someone was unable to do 45 crunches in 2 minutes?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

NIN

Quote from: N Harmon on February 02, 2011, 01:47:42 PM
Quote from: Spartan on January 06, 2011, 04:16:00 AMThe physical assessment is to ensure the students are capable of safely completing very physically demanding training.

What training at CCOC would be considered unsafe if someone was unable to do 45 crunches in 2 minutes?

From what I know: all of it. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spartan

Part of the course is PT with instructors at the Combat Control School.  It is more intense than what cadets normally do for the PT test that is required for each promotion.  This PT is a daily requirement during the school.  The goal of CCOC is to familiarize the students with the career field of Air Force Special Tactics and Combat Control.  The course also runs the students through an abridged version of everything a Pipeline candidate would experience in Airborne School up to jump week.  If you are not in good shape, the ground training for Airborne can seriously hurt you.  The crunches are a measure of abdominal and core strength.  If your core is weak, you stand a greater chance of injuring your back.

The students are required to take the physical assessment to make sure that they won't be injured by PT, or by jump familiarization, or by stabilizing themself in the vertical wind tunnel.  45 crunches is not hard.  A less utilitarian purpose of the Physical Assessment is that to go to any school in the military that parallels Combat Control School, you are required to be able to pass a PT Test.  CCOC is no different.  It is part of the requirement for the school.

Spartan

Quote from: NIN on February 02, 2011, 03:24:16 PM

From what I know: all of it. :)

The only think that doesn't involve physical activity is waiting for trans, chow, and sitting through familiarization in the Combat Control School.  Even in-processing is physically strenuous.

SarDragon

Eating?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spartan

That really depends on your opinion of Mystery Meals.  What's the mystery? How there are 2000+ calories in almost every one of the MRE's.  The 2010 course was awesome.  This year is going to be unbelievable.

N Harmon

Quote from: Spartan on February 03, 2011, 03:17:41 AMHow there are 2000+ calories in almost every one of the MRE's.

I think they have a lot less than that. I was just curious how much consideration was put into how physical assessment mapped to real safety requirements. It seems more than usual, which is good. How about the category restrictions? Have you had any conversations about how excluding CAT II & III cadets fits into CAP's Nondiscrimination Policy? Did the host unit have any qualms about how those requirements fit into DoD 1020.1?

From the video it looks like a very cool activity.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Spartan

The activity was awesome last year.  Even as staff, it was probably the most difficult thing I have done in CAP to date.  You are right about the MRE's.  They have dropped a lot of calories since I had to eat them on a daily basis.  They also look like they taste better now.

I will have an answer for you regarding compliance with CAP's Nondiscrimination Policy and DoD Directive 1020.1 as soon as possible.

Spartan

Quote from: N Harmon on February 03, 2011, 01:26:14 PM
I think they have a lot less than that. I was just curious how much consideration was put into how physical assessment mapped to real safety requirements. It seems more than usual, which is good. How about the category restrictions? Have you had any conversations about how excluding CAT II & III cadets fits into CAP's Nondiscrimination Policy? Did the host unit have any qualms about how those requirements fit into DoD 1020.1?

Thank you for bringing up these concerns.  I have brought your questions to the rest of the senior staff to provide you with the best answers possible.  The CCOC Commandant, Lt Col Siemiet has asked me to relay this message to you regarding your questions.  If you have any further questions regarding this issue, please send me an offline message and I will provide you with contact information for Lt Col Siemiet so he can better answer your questions.

---

NONDISCRIMINATION: without getting a lawyer in to give a overly-long or
wordy definition, CAP's non-discrimination policy refers to limiting, or
excluding participation of an individual or group based on age, sex,
handicap, etc when there is no legitimate, safety related reason to do
so.  In CCOC, we are forced to place some limitations on potential
applicants in order to create the safest program we can.  CAP LEGALLY
discriminates all of the time (minimum age to join, weight limits to
wear the CAP uniform, participation in ground team and flight activities
based on physical limitations, etc).  CCOC by the nature of the course
must LEGALLY discriminate in order to provide the safest environment
possible as long as we limit the discrimination to the maximum extent
possible; which we work hard to do.

AGE/GRADE/QUALIFICATIONS: We have limitations on minimum AGE
(15yrs old for cadets), GRADE (C/SSgt for cadets and 2d Lt for seniors),
and QUALIFICATIONS (Level 1 for Seniors and Encampment for Cadets) to
participate.  This is to limit the chances of safety related issues
(i.e. on the weapons range, and at the Airborne School) because of
immaturity or lack of experience with self/organizational discipline
that provide the framework for our organization.  This is also to
prevent lack of experience/basic military & CAP knowledge from hindering
the student's participation or from embarrassing CAP.

PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT: This is a entrance Fitness Exam that
ensures that the students can run the distance to and from the PT field
each morning and withstand 30+ minutes of physical training without
sustaining injury (we also don't have enough extra staff to police up
stragglers during the road runs).  The swim portion of the test ensures
that students will not be a hazard in the water (i.e. drown, or hurt
someone else in the water) during the water training portions of the
course, specifically during the PAST Test that all of the students take
at the end of the course.  The "Push-Ups" and "Flexed Arm Hang"
standards are set to ensure the students can hold up their body weight
during the parachutist familiarization training, where lack of that
ability WILL cause harm to the student when they are in the hanging
harness.

PHYSICAL CAT 1: This ensures that the students are not
physically limited during the training, or are physically prevented from
participating in the training.  Students climb stairs, walk through
woods and in facilities with multiple obstacles that need negotiating,
they participate in a WIDE variety of exercises during morning PT,
participate in long runs, they swim long distances, they carry lots of
equipment over obstacles, fire military weapons, etc to name a few.
Physical limitations that place someone in a Physical Category other
than "CAT 1" will limit or prevent their participation in the training,
or worse will place them in a situation that can cause harm to
themselves or to others (since many of the events require a team
effort).  We are physically unable to restructure the training
environment to reasonable accommodate participants in a Physical
Category other than CAT 1.  To attempt to do so would place an
unreasonable financial and staffing increase to the course, and are
often based on limitation in DoD facilities that we have no control
over.

DOD 1020.1 is the DOD Directive on Handicap accessible facilities,
programs, etc.  If someone has an issue/questions with that, they will
need to take them to Fort Bragg, Pope AAF, or a Government Lawyer since
it is their facilities we are using and that drive our program.  I am
not a lawyer and I will not play in those waters.

Again, I hope this answers the questions posed to you.  If they have
further questions, they can contact me and I will be happy to discuss
this further, or they can speak to CAP's legal staff.

Regards,

David B. Siemiet, Lt Col, CAP
Commandant, CCOC

titanII

just wondering, what's the "Professional photo" for? What do they use that to judge?
No longer active on CAP talk

NIN

Quote from: titanII on February 05, 2011, 08:17:16 PM
just wondering, what's the "Professional photo" for? What do they use that to judge?

They wanna make sure that you look good enough to appear in future promotional and marketing materials. :)

(I am _absolutely_ kidding right there..)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

On a serious note:

I know Lt Col Siemiet from way, way back  (ouch, he's a Lt Col now? Crikey, I remember when he was like a C/SSgt... My achin' back..)  and I know his job in the AF.  This is a high-speed program of the kind that a LOT of cadets have been asking/agitating for for many, many years.

The long and the short of it is that the program is an orientation to a physically active and physically demanding career field in the USAF.   This isn't the "USAF Finance and Administration Orientation Course" or the "Combat Coffee Drinking Orientation Course."  Due to its very subject matter, its a physically demanding, participatory and experiential activity. The cadets who participate in this activity must be physically able to keep up. It is very much like PJOC, Hawk Mountain, etc.  The cadets are doing extremely active things morning, noon and night. 

Its one thing to get there and find out "Oh, man, I'm not nearly in as good of shape as I thought" and have the program kick your [fourth point of contact]. 

Its another to be physically incapable of safely and fully participating in the majority of the activity's events.  If you can't do the morning PT (teamwork, experiential learning of the Combat Control physical demands), the foot marches (teamwork, experiential learning of the Combat Control physical demands), Airborne orientation training (experiential learning, serious gut-check about heights), HALO orientation training (the wind tunnel, a fairly physically demanding activity that has its own safety-based requirements for participation, such as no shoulder problems), rappelling (fear of heights, physical ability to control yourself), water survival training (ability to swim), and a whole bunch of other stuff that they do during the course, then you really, really don't need to be there.

Otherwise, you wind up being an observer and not a participant.  That is not the purpose of the program.  If the organizers wanted to run "Combat Control Observation and Informational Course" they wouldn't go to the time and expense of running a week-long course and would instead just put together a high-speed, low-drag Powerpoint they could distribute to every unit in the country so everybody could watch on their 52" HDTV in between sessions of HALO3. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Spartan

Quote from: titanII on February 05, 2011, 08:17:16 PM

The professional photo is optional.  If you look at page 1 of a CAPF 31 in the upper right part of the page, there is a place to attach an optional photo.  This serves two functions; we want to know what you look like so we pick up the correct person from the airport, train or bus station, and it shows whether you are willing to put forth the extra effort even though it isn't required.

For those of you who are about to ask what a professional photo looks like, here are a few guidelines
DO
-Wear a CAP uniform
-Ensure your uniform and personal grooming meets the requirements of CAPM 39-1
-Crop the picture to just below your name/cap tape or your nameplate/ribbons to just over your head
-Take the picture in front of a plain, preferably white background
-Feel free to smile if you wish
DO NOT
-Send an action pose
-Send a picture of you doing something you wouldn't want a stranger who is responsible for picking 20 candidates out of 200 applications to see
-Do not wear a cover, we want to see your face
-Send a picture of you in your SAR equipment