Main Menu

Request for SM demotion

Started by Persona non grata, December 17, 2010, 05:17:46 PM

Flying Pig

Quote from: JK657 on December 18, 2010, 04:09:24 AM
Not to mention he'd be taking a huge pay cut to be a Captain again
8)

Worse yet, he wouldnt be able to wear his farts and darts anymore.

ZigZag911

Quote from: a2capt on December 17, 2010, 05:59:07 PM
Well, the flip side, he should be greatfull he could get the rank in the first place, otherwise it could be like PAWG that says no Maj. or Lt. Col. if you are not at least Group CC or Wing Staff, accordingly.

My understanding is that this policy has been rescinded by PA WG.

spacecommand

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 18, 2010, 05:58:53 AM
He's a reservist in the Irish DF Air Corps they view rank and status a tad bit different than we do.   I got him on the phone and talked to him and he said that another Major in the Wing told him that it is a shame he never served in the military and did not know how to be the real deal.  I'm thinking  this turned him off.  They don't know his current foreign military service situation because he does not let it be known to everyone.  The guy is nothing but prorofesinal.  And in addition, the CAP Major who told him this also dressed down and AF Major at at a GTE(I observed it ,no joke) go figure.

1. Many in CAP have never "served in the military" and serve CAP just fine.   I work at my squadron with people who have served and those who have not served in the armed forces.  Each person does their best to serve the squadron, that's what I care about.
2. A CAP Major is that, a CAP Major, it's a "real" grade in CAP, just as a USAF MAJ, a fire department MAJ, MAJ PAINE, etc. 
It's not "fake" nor is it something to be ashamed of.  It is a personal accomplishment in CAP especially if he worked his way up to it.

I really don't know how it works with the Irish DF, I assume he as dual nationality which isn't illegal, or is a US permanent resident, which again isn't illegal, and the fact that you know he is with the Irish DF means it's not exactly "TOP SECRET" either,  but his frequent flier miles must be off the charts depending on how much time she spends with the Irish DF.   But any case, I really don't see the problem, in CAP he's serving CAP, his grade can be seen as a personal accomplishment of PD and working his way up in CAP. 

flyboy53

It would be cool to know if he has permission from NHQ to wear any of his decorations, ribbons or wings?

There once was a colonel in the California Wing who either served in the French Air Force or earned French Pilot Wings while serving there in the Army Air Forces. He wore it all, sans the military ribbons, and that was impressive.

I think it's an absolute shame that someone with this background would feel that way, especially when I personally would hold his experience and knowledge in such high regard.

DakRadz

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 18, 2010, 05:58:53 AM
I got him on the phone and talked to him and he said that another Major in the Wing told him that it is a shame he never served in the military and did not know how to be the real deal.  I'm thinking  this turned him off.  They don't know his current foreign military service situation because he does not let it be known to everyone.  The guy is nothing but prorofesinal.  And in addition, the CAP Major who told him this also dressed down and AF Major at at a GTE(I observed it ,no joke) go figure.
The OTHER Major seems to be the problem. This isn't acceptable behavior for a SM, let alone a Major.
Sometimes talking to the Group/CC (or next highest person above this Maj in the CoC) can do wonders...

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 18, 2010, 09:45:03 PM
It would be cool to know if he has permission from NHQ to wear any of his decorations, ribbons or wings?

There once was a colonel in the California Wing who either served in the French Air Force or earned French Pilot Wings while serving there in the Army Air Forces. He wore it all, sans the military ribbons, and that was impressive.

I think it's an absolute shame that someone with this background would feel that way, especially when I personally would hold his experience and knowledge in such high regard.
All of this, especially the foreign awards part :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

That's different to my experience.

I knew a CAP Captain who was retired from the RCAF (hundreds of hours in the F-5) and moved here to fly for the airlines.  He was a French-Canadian from Quebec, great guy, and a riot.

He told me that he wasn't allowed to wear his Canadian ribbons, but he could wear the metal version of his pilot's wings above his right pocket and the embroidered ones on the right breast of his service dress.

The Irish Air Corps DO have sharp uniforms, to be sure. I wish we could have something like theirs for "CAP distinctive."

Will the IAC allow him to wear his CAP ribbons on his IAC uniform?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Persona non grata

Quote from: CyBorg on December 19, 2010, 12:25:18 AM
That's different to my experience.

I knew a CAP Captain who was retired from the RCAF (hundreds of hours in the F-5) and moved here to fly for the airlines.  He was a French-Canadian from Quebec, great guy, and a riot.

He told me that he wasn't allowed to wear his Canadian ribbons, but he could wear the metal version of his pilot's wings above his right pocket and the embroidered ones on the right breast of his service dress.

The Irish Air Corps DO have sharp uniforms, to be sure. I wish we could have something like theirs for "CAP distinctive."

Will the IAC allow him to wear his CAP ribbons on his IAC uniform?
I know for a fact that the IDF AC has fewer ribbons than we do and to answer the question, they wont allow him to wear CAP badges.  He had to get permission from his command to join CAP.  He has earned NATO and UN awards but cant wear those becuase they were awarded by the Irish Goverment.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

NCRblues

If he has UN awards, they were given by the UN...which according to CAP NHQ, is a recognized "competent military authority" so...at least the UN awards he should be cleared on...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

spacecommand

Persona non grata

Thanks, I will have to tell him.       Some of his counter parts have made fun of the amount of ribbons the US awards.  I make fun of the amount of different headgear they wear ;D.  Some still carry the swager stick.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

SARDOC

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 19, 2010, 02:05:51 AM
Thanks, I will have to tell him.       Some of his counter parts have made fun of the amount of ribbons the US awards.  I make fun of the amount of different headgear they wear ;D.  Some still carry the swager stick.

I wouldn't mind carrying a swagger stick sometimes.

flyboy53

Holly cow! How things have changed.

Years ago the PAWG's Group 50 had a public affairs offficer who had flown Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. He was still a qualified mission pilot but he never wore any CAP wings or ribbons. He only wore his RAF Wings and three rows of some pretty impressive RAF medals. Nobody ever challenged him....but then, as I remember there were still plenty of American Air Force officers then with their share of RAF wings and medals.

Those were cool times for CAP. Imagine the AE/history lessons those guys taught? What a shame?

Yet, if the NATO and UN awards are the same as authorized by the Air Force, how can NHQ CAP deny them...I have a foreign award through my Air Force service. Guess I'm lucky for that technicality?

As far as making fun of the number of American medals and ribbons, I remember having the same discussion with a RAAF leading aircraftsman back in 1981 when the RAAF brought their F-111s to train with us at Mt. Home AFB. I think, though, he was a little jealous...especially since I had stripes for rank and he had propellers

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SARDOC on December 19, 2010, 02:35:27 AM

I actually have a swagger stick......
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: NCRblues on December 19, 2010, 01:58:59 AM
If he has UN awards, they were given by the UN...which according to CAP NHQ, is a recognized "competent military authority" so...at least the UN awards he should be cleared on...

There are some who would argue about the UN being competent in anything... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DakRadz

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on December 19, 2010, 03:00:17 AM

Are those technically banned?
I've seen a website with an entire section devoted to their history (which is :o in and of itself), and there was something to the effect that they had merely fallen out of favor.

Just sayin'. I mean, the Army Blues fell out of favor, but look at 'em now! >:D

Major Carrales

2. A CAP Major is that, a CAP Major, it's a "real" grade in CAP, just as a USAF MAJ, a fire department MAJ, MAJ PAINE, etc. 
It's not "fake" nor is it something to be ashamed of.  It is a personal accomplishment in CAP especially if he worked his way up to it.

Well said.  I have pretty sick of people in CAP who seem to have this "self-loathing" for our institutions, traditions and other internal structure. 

We are who and what we are and that is nothing to be ashamed of.  Specious comparisons between our organization and any other to show how CAP is somehow "lacking," "wrong" or "nonsense"  is bunk at best and stupidity at worst.

Until we, as a whole, overcome this ridiculous train of thought...we will never really be able to achieve that station in the scheme of things that we need to be successful.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on December 19, 2010, 05:13:32 AM

If by "technically banned" you mean "please don't give me another atomic wedgie for carrying a swagger stick", then yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2010, 07:28:50 PM

If by "technically banned" you mean "please don't give me another atomic wedgie for carrying a swagger stick", then yes.

"Swagger sticks," or riding crops, are good "gag gifts" to get your commanding officer for some Squadron "term of endearment," however, carrying one is a bit pretentious.

Since we are not a cavalry rooted organization having one has no traditional basis as might justify it.  Discounting the WWII and subsequent "mounted" CAP squadrons.  However, I still believe riding crops were not a part of their tradition in CAP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DakRadz

Just sayin'. I mean, the Army Blues fell out of favor, but look at 'em now! >:D

This part was meant to show that I was kidding, esp. with the little smiley there ;)

The other was merely trivia I thought I'd share.

WARNING! SARCASM AHEAD :D
I would never carry a swagger stick- a cane with a concealed firearm or saber has more functionality and looks better too!