Man drops Toilet Paper from aircraft

Started by DakRadz, October 18, 2010, 10:36:35 PM

DakRadz

So a pilot in Hackensack, NJ decided to have a little fun; he dropped three rolls of toilet paper out of his airplane onto a school field.

Apparently he was practicing for a Saturday drop during a game- this time with streamers in the school's colors. His son goes to the high school.

When they landed, the rolls were wet and soggy.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/offbeat/view/20101015toilet_paper_stunt_at_school_spurs_charge_against_pilot_60/srvc=home&position=recent

Oh wow. I mean, really? School pride and all, but at what cost? Seems like that sort of projectile could be rather dangerous.

HA! The superintendent seems to think this was all in good fun-
"I don’t think anyone was threatened," Zoeller said. "If you got pelted by a huge wad of toilet paper coming from the air, I suppose it would have stung, but you know it was a prank."

Think maybe this was planned by more than one person?

Hawk200

I would agree with a few of the people mentioned in the article that it was probably not well thought out, and did indeed show poor judgement. You don't drop things from airplanes without really good reason and/or a lot of previous clearance.

On the other hand, the general public doesn't know what most of us know. I do think it's a little stupid that people brought up the "in this post-9/11 environment" stuff. For one thing, if the guy was a terrorist, you probably would have never found him or you would have at least spent a while doing it. And anyone that thinks a roll of toilet paper is a threat to Homeland Security is either a little out there, or knows something I don't. I won't really entertain the latter, because not too many people would be "in" on such knowledge.

bosshawk

There is a FAR(Federal Air Regulation) which precludes dropping items from an aircraft, except in an emergency.  Doesn't seem to me that dropping TP over a soccer field constitutes an emergency and very few people that I know think that it is humorous.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

tsrup

Quote from: bosshawk on October 18, 2010, 11:03:33 PM
There is a FAR(Federal Air Regulation) which precludes dropping items from an aircraft, except in an emergency.  Doesn't seem to me that dropping TP over a soccer field constitutes an emergency and very few people that I know think that it is humorous.

Really?  Can you cite the specific FAR?

I know it is against CAP regulation but I have found no FAR that prohibits it under part 91..

and dropping toilet paper is no different then dropping a skydiving streamer to check the winds.
Paramedic
hang-around.

EMT-83

Several years ago, before GA aircraft were commonly thought of as weapons, a friend always flew over the July 4th picnic at his brother's house and dropped rolls of toilet paper. The goal was to hit the pool.

Can't recall that anyone thought it dangerous, and no one ever had their eye poked out.

tsrup

Here's the appropriate reg..

Nothing about "emergency use only"

Quote from:  CFR 14
§ 91.15   Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Paramedic
hang-around.

a2capt

When I saw this thread title the first thing I thought about was..

Unravel a roll of TP, and stack about 6-8 feet of it fanfold style. Then stack the roll on top of it. Open the window of and put it out. The streamer will cause the roll to unwind ... kick the rudder and go after it.

Best done in an aerobatic aircraft.. like a Citabria. :)

Fly through it, and come back around for some more.

Great fun.

NIN

Quote from: tsrup on October 18, 2010, 11:27:54 PM
Here's the appropriate reg..

Nothing about "emergency use only"

Quote from:  CFR 14
§ 91.15   Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

I'm pretty familiar with Part 91.15, as just a few hrs ago, I was playing "object" dropped from [an] aircraft.. :)

Doubt he'll get anything more than a good stern talking to.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

Why would you make any allowances for dropping things out of aircraft except for emergency situations?  Seems to me that it would be a wise general prohibition to have in place. 

DakRadz

Quote from: NIN on October 19, 2010, 02:07:02 AM
I'm pretty familiar with Part 91.15, as just a few hrs ago, I was playing "object" dropped from [an] aircraft.. :)

Doubt he'll get anything more than a good stern talking to.
Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2010, 03:07:44 AM
Why would you make any allowances for dropping things out of aircraft except for emergency situations?  Seems to me that it would be a wise general prohibition to have in place. 
Because we don't want NIN to declare an emergency that often... ;D

tsrup

because the reg is fine as is.

otherwise you'd have to start listing out exceptions. i.e.  Skydivers, skydiver streamers, any kind of aerobatic stunt involving dropping, "flour bombing", leaflets, banners (you have to dump em when banner towing on landing), etc. .

also you'd open up the can of worms that if you are dropping something do you have to declare an emergency?
then paperwork, reporting to the NTSB, Nasa forms, the whole 9 yards. 

You could say with proper approval, but then you just open up a mess of paperwork issues to deal with with the FAA.

People follow the reg as is, no one gets hurt, no property gets damaged, and no general pita problems with dealing with the FAA. 

You don't follow the reg as is you'll encounter the same consequences as if you didn't follow the reg modified.

If it ain't broke..
Paramedic
hang-around.

NIN

As stated, there are substantial legitimate reasons to be throwing things out of planes, and as long as you're not creating a "hazard to persons or property," drop away.

FARs tend to be written a little more broadly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

wuzafuzz

I know of folks who participate in pumpkin bombing contests in the middle of nowhere.  The closest splat to the bullseye wins.  No one is dumb enough to stand close to the target.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JeffDG

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 19, 2010, 05:54:04 PM
I know of folks who participate in pumpkin bombing contests in the middle of nowhere.  The closest splat to the bullseye wins.  No one is dumb enough to stand close to the target.
If they're at all like the pumpkin bombing contests I've seen, standing directly on the target is probably the safest place to be!

wuzafuzz

Quote from: JeffDG on October 19, 2010, 06:13:39 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 19, 2010, 05:54:04 PM
If they're at all like the pumpkin bombing contests I've seen, standing directly on the target is probably the safest place to be!
Just wait for laser guided pumpkins!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

DakRadz

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 19, 2010, 04:41:02 PM
I shoot from our helicopter.....

This is the winner, above all others. Nice, sir- remind me never to get on the bad side of you and a firearm! >:D

davidsinn

That vibration must play hell with your sight picture...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

If it flies, it dies.  Shoot 'em down, sort 'em out on the ground.  >:D
Mike Johnston