what's with the boonie hats?

Started by cap235629, August 22, 2010, 05:00:26 PM

vento

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 24, 2010, 01:30:35 AM
Quote from: phirons on August 23, 2010, 09:02:07 PM.....

just the first few results from Google = orange boonie hat
Didn't think anyone made such a thing, so I never thought to search for it. May pick one up. Could come in handy.

I always thought the Air Force issued two sided boonie hats. Didn't Capt Scott O'Grady wear his orange boonie hat (the reverse side of his boonie hat) when he was rescued?

Hawk200

Quote from: vento on August 24, 2010, 04:26:09 AMI always thought the Air Force issued two sided boonie hats. Didn't Capt Scott O'Grady wear his orange boonie hat (the reverse side of his boonie hat) when he was rescued?
There was a National Geographic program a few years ago that showed one in the re-enactment. Not sure if it's an issue item, something personal of O'Grady's, or just made up for the show. If we have any Air Force fighter jocks here, they'd be able to weigh in.

JC004

I think the cutouts are a coordinated conspiracy.  Clearly, three cadet officers getting it wrong makes no sense. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2010, 09:50:00 AM
I think the cutouts are a coordinated conspiracy.  Clearly, three cadet officers getting it wrong makes no sense. 

Really? I see it happen all the time. They remove their C/CMSgt insignia from the coat, slap on shoulder boards, and are all set to go.

RVT

Quote from: JC004 on August 24, 2010, 09:50:00 AMI think the cutouts are a coordinated conspiracy.  Clearly, three cadet officers getting it wrong makes no sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is them getting it wrong in different ways.  If all three had left the cutouts off, I can understand what happened.  If all three put US on by mistake, I can understand that too.

But they didn't look at each other and say something like "You have US cutouts and I don't - which of us is right?" and then look it up and discover neither of them are.  And if all of them have been officers awhile too.

Майор Хаткевич

At least 4 months minimum time. Most likely 6+ months.

Hawk200

Can someone fill me in on how this thread went from boonie hats to collar brass? Just wondering.

a2capt

'cause it was actually picture picking and they just moved the focus.

RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 24, 2010, 06:44:25 PMCan someone fill me in on how this thread went from boonie hats to collar brass? Just wondering.

Same newsletter.  Cutout picture is on page 4 and the Boonie hats appear on page 23.

Hawk200

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on August 24, 2010, 07:23:20 PMSame newsletter.  Cutout picture is on page 4 and the Boonie hats appear on page 23.
Thank you.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on August 24, 2010, 07:23:20 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 24, 2010, 06:44:25 PMCan someone fill me in on how this thread went from boonie hats to collar brass? Just wondering.

Same newsletter.  Cutout picture is on page 4 and the Boonie hats appear on page 23.

I took the OP to contain gripes about more than boonies (even though the title of the thread is indeed only focused on them).

The issue went from Boonies to C/1st Lts with Membership ribbons to the same cadets missing cutout/wearing cords improperly, etc etc.