Main Menu

Cadet records from 1974

Started by RVT, August 17, 2010, 09:06:50 PM

RVT

The paperwork I just found is so yellowed with age it looks like the Constitution, but apparently I'm going to be a 52 year old man wearing a solid white ribbon, which I suppose is fairly uncommon.  Its got a bronze star on it too!

Couldn't find my Mitchell award though.  Bummer.

PHall

Actually, not that uncommon. There are at least a dozen "over 40" senior members in CAWG who wear the CAC ribbon.
Me being one of them.

ßτε

What records did you actually find?  If you have anything showing you as a cadet officer, that should be sufficient to warrant the wear of a Mitchell award.

RVT

Quote from: bte on August 17, 2010, 09:28:25 PM
What records did you actually find?  If you have anything showing you as a cadet officer, that should be sufficient to warrant the wear of a Mitchell award.

The letter my first squadron commander wrote to my second when I moved from New Jersey to Delaware.  It lists everything I did but never refers to me by rank, only as "Cadet".  I didn't earn my Mitchell until after I showed up in New Castle Delaware.

PHall

National may have a record of your Mitchell Award.

Майор Хаткевич

Didn't they number them by 74? Or did that come about in the late 70s early 80s?

SarDragon

Numbering didn't start until sometime in the '80s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSgt Van

So, I assume your CAP id #is like, 237 or something?
:angel:

SarDragon

Actually, no. it's 106-something. The lowest number seems to be 100000, and he's still a member. The assignment appears to have  been in SSAN order among the members on the rolls when the SSAN->CAPID conversion was done. The lowest numbers in both sets belong to members of NER.

FWIW, I joined CAP in 1964, and I've had three non-SSAN membership numbers. The first was wing assigned, the second was a nationally assigned cadet number (SMs used SSANs), and the third was my current one
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSgt Van

Wow. That's cool! I bow to your years of volunteer service!

flyboy53

Congrats!

Now about that Mitchell Award, contact Jennifer Carroll, the NHQ Registrar and ask her if she can perform a "Cadet Member Z Record" search of the computers at NHQ. A Z record is the last bit of information still in the computers. If you're lucky, she may be able to verify that you received the Mitchell and then give advice on whether the certificate may be re-issued.

It's worth a shot.

AlphaSigOU

The current Mitchell and Earhart numbering dates back from 1979; the fact sheets for both awards (part of the presentation package) erroneously lists those numbers as the total numbers awarded, when there were thousands more unnumbered Mitchell and Earhart awards issued between 1964 through 1978.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RVT

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 19, 2010, 04:09:46 PM
The current Mitchell and Earhart numbering dates back from 1979; the fact sheets for both awards (part of the presentation package) erroneously lists those numbers as the total numbers awarded, when there were thousands more unnumbered Mitchell and Earhart awards issued between 1964 through 1978.

So if your Mitchell award from 1981 is #2375, they actually think there were less than 3000 cadet officers in the history of CAP prior to that?  If that was two years into the program when CAP was quite a bit larger than today itt almost looks like they started with #1